Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

43 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Well, the US administration is perfectly comfortable engaging in a proxy war sacrificing lots of Ukrainians for as long as necessary to yank Russia's chain.  And neo-con/neo-liberal war party member under-secretary of State Nuland, a former official in the Obama State department & foreign policy advisor to former VP Dick Chenny, is the architect and administrator over the effort. 

So the war itself is the real evil, and the US shouldn't do anything that prolongs the war, because it's just a sign of warmongers continuing influence of the US?

I'm assuming you're not American because not many people in my country refer to it as the "US-Administration".  Nothing to do with your argument, just an observation.

Edited by Coffeesforclosers

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

NBC news also reports US involvement in the sinking of the Moskva.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/us-intel-helped-ukraine-sink-russian-flagship-moskva-officials-say-rcna27559

Which I don't find at all surprising as I originally didn't believe the Ukrainian military had the ability and know-how to pull that off.  My guess was US Intel and military did everything but push the button.    

Lots of stuff floating around now, so take your pick what you want to believe.

It looks like the Russians are still stalled out on all their attacks intended to collapse or encircle Ukraine's position in the east.  Kreminna fell early but they haven't been able to push much past it or the nearby towns.  The attack south from Izyum was looking very dangerous for a week but has also stalled out, creating a long salient running north-south.  Russian and Ukrainian attacks around Kherson and elsewhere have traded ground without changing much.  The Ukrainians have made some gains around Mikolaiyiv.  That's good news, as Mikolaiyiv guards Odessa and is a springboard to attack Kherson.

Real gains though are being made by Ukraine in the north.  They've almost cleared the Russians out of tube artillery range of the city of Kharkiv. They're also pushing west from Kharkiv to threaten one of the trunk supply routes to Izyum.  Kharkiv contains one of Ukraine's most modern tank factories.  Who knows what kind of shape it's in, but they'll need that facility up and running and safe.

Finally, there's now reports of very heavy fighting quite close to Izyum, due east and due west of the city.  It's all heat mapping stuff, so it could be combat, or it could just be artillery. But if Izyum is isolated or even if it's taken, all Russian forces south of it are encircled. 

So in a nutshell, Russia is  still stalled for the time being, and can't stop Ukraine's counterattack around Kharkiv. The Kharkiv counterattack could develop into something very bad for the Russians, but who knows.  Something very, very bad for the Russians could be happening around Izyum, but the info isn't there to say one way or the other.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Those 155 mm howitzers we are sending look to be having a real impact on the field. I was watching this guy (Hertling) on CNN last night explain how Russia has to fire massed artillery at an area, our guns can hit targets with extreme precision and that looks like what is going on here. I'd guess drones as artillery spotters are also being used. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Those 155 mm howitzers we are sending look to be having a real impact on the field. I was watching this guy (Hertling) on CNN last night explain how Russia has to fire massed artillery at an area, our guns can hit targets with extreme precision and that looks like what is going on here. I'd guess drones as artillery spotters are also being used. 

Good.  You've always got to be careful about clips like this though, as reassuring as they are.

I've got more than a feeling that Ukrainian losses are higher than they let on.  It's all anecdotal though.  Rolling Stone Reported on a Ukrainian Marine unit that's been in contact since Day 1. They've taken a real beating. Ukrainian Territorial Defense Units were thrown into the defense of Kyiv with little to no training.  Some Volunteers were simply handed gear and deployed.  Those units must have suffered terrible losses if they were attacked by Russia tank/mechanized units, or tried to do anything other than hold the places they were deployed. Luckily they had Russian incompetence and support from Ukraine's regular army units, that we now know are much better than anybody thought, but still.

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Thank you (+1) 1