Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

2 minutes ago, OrangeBills said:

The problem is you don't understand that The Green New Deal in Western Europe and then the United States is getting people killed right now in Ukraine.  In the real world, due to Leftist policy initiatives, because they have no clue how to grasp externalities of their decisions.

No 

26 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Nice step in right direction with Putin causing all this inflation. Wind has passed coal and nuclear! Build back better would have helped fight the inflation, too, but the coal barons in WV said no! 

Are you intentionally trying to make a fool of yourself?

Do you know what was in that bill that had nothing to do with energy or "building."

It was the "coal barons of West Virginia."

Hopefully you don't operate heavy machinery.

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

Are you intentionally trying to make a fool of yourself?

Do you know what was in that bill that had nothing to do with energy or "building."

It was the "coal barons of West Virginia."

Hopefully you don't operate heavy machinery.

You seem lonely.

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

You seem lonely.

Another of you idiotic assumptions.

I run a commercial vineyard here.

My wife and I babysit one of our grandchildren, and their dog, every day, eight-four, and take care of our other one all the time.

I serve on the local vol fire department board of directors and am on our church's planning council.

I advise on my three kids retirement accounts and run my three grandkids college funds.

I regularly communicate with friends from my Navy and airline days.

And to boot, I take time out to laugh at your nonsense.

I am hardly lonely.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, sherpa said:

Another of you idiotic assumptions.

I run a commercial vineyard here.

My wife and I babysit one of our grandchildren, and their dog, every day, eight-four, and take care of our other one all the time.

I serve on the local vol fire department board of directors and am on our church's planning council.

I advise on my three kids retirement accounts and run my three grandkids college funds.

I regularly communicate with friends from my Navy and airline days.

And to boot, I take time out to laugh at your nonsense.

I am hardly lonely.

W

Can't you find someone to tell that to who actually cares? 

Remember,you seem out,not the other way around. 

And please don't post a long winded bunch of bull on why I should care! 🤑

Russia's tanks in Ukraine have a 'jack-in-the-box' design flaw. And the West has known about it since the Gulf war

Russian tanks with their tops blown off are just the latest sign that Russia's invasion of Ukraine isn't going to plan.

Hundreds of Russian tanks are thought to have been destroyed since Moscow launched its offensive, with British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace on Monday estimating it had lost as many as 580.

The problem relates to how the tanks' ammunition is stored. Unlike modern Western tanks, Russian ones carry multiple shells within their turrets. This makes them highly vulnerable as even an indirect hit can start a chain reaction that explodes their entire ammunition store of up to 40 shells.

The resulting shockwave can be enough to blast the tank's turret as high as a two-story building, as can be seen in a recent video on social media.

Drummond said exploding munitions are causing problems for almost all of the armored vehicles Russia is using in Ukraine. He gave the example of the BMD-4 infantry fighting vehicle, typically manned by up to three crew and able to carry another five soldiers. He said the BMD-4 was a "mobile coffin" that was "just obliterated" when hit by a rocket.

But the design flaw with its tanks should be particularly galling for Moscow as the problems have been so widely telegraphed.
They came to the attention of Western militaries during the Gulf wars against Iraq in 1991 and 2003, when large numbers of the Iraqi army's Russian-made T-72 tanks suffered the same fate -- turrets being blown from their bodies in anti-tank missile strikes.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/27/europe/russia-tanks-blown-turrets-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

• Like (+1) 1

Today Russian TV reporting joked about their new rockets eliminating UK and NYC. State media is controlled by Putin, so do we take this as a direct threat?

What Reagan accomplished all future presidents and world leaders have screwed up.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Oh gees! Russian media is having a go at CNN's Clarissa Ward now! 

Morning Tibs

I’ve asked this before. Of everyone on here, you are far and away the most concerned about the invasion in Ukraine. I asked one time if you have family there. If so, I hope that they’re OK. If not so, I’m really curious as to what about this particular conflict had you so invested? It’s not the least bit controversial of a topic. NOBODY on here or pretty much anywhere is supporting the Russian side in this war. Are you simply frustrated with NATO’s response? I don’t get it.

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Morning Tibs

I’ve asked this before. Of everyone on here, you are far and away the most concerned about the invasion in Ukraine. I asked one time if you have family there. If so, I hope that they’re OK. If not so, I’m really curious as to what about this particular conflict had you so invested? It’s not the least bit controversial of a topic. NOBODY on here or pretty much anywhere is supporting the Russian side in this war. Are you simply frustrated with NATO’s response? I don’t get it.

It sickens me what Putin is doing. 

Oh, and good morning. I’m in line at Tim Horton getting coffee for me and a co-worker 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

It sickens me what Putin is doing. 

Oh, and good morning. I’m in line at Tim Horton getting coffee for me and a co-worker 

Thanks. You won’t get any push back from me on Russian aggression. What’s more troubling to me is the tepid response from the ‘free world’. Putting a Ukrainian flag on a Twitter page is nice but what does it really accomplish? Enjoy the coffee…and your day. 👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Today Russian TV reporting joked about their new rockets eliminating UK and NYC. State media is controlled by Putin, so do we take this as a direct threat?

What Reagan accomplished all future presidents and world leaders have screwed up.

Maybe Russian TV could joke about entire Russia disappearing in a nuclear war with US and NATO. 

7 hours ago, ALF said:

Russia's tanks in Ukraine have a 'jack-in-the-box' design flaw. And the West has known about it since the Gulf war

Russian tanks with their tops blown off are just the latest sign that Russia's invasion of Ukraine isn't going to plan.

Hundreds of Russian tanks are thought to have been destroyed since Moscow launched its offensive, with British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace on Monday estimating it had lost as many as 580.

The problem relates to how the tanks' ammunition is stored. Unlike modern Western tanks, Russian ones carry multiple shells within their turrets. This makes them highly vulnerable as even an indirect hit can start a chain reaction that explodes their entire ammunition store of up to 40 shells.

The resulting shockwave can be enough to blast the tank's turret as high as a two-story building, as can be seen in a recent video on social media.

Drummond said exploding munitions are causing problems for almost all of the armored vehicles Russia is using in Ukraine. He gave the example of the BMD-4 infantry fighting vehicle, typically manned by up to three crew and able to carry another five soldiers. He said the BMD-4 was a "mobile coffin" that was "just obliterated" when hit by a rocket.

But the design flaw with its tanks should be particularly galling for Moscow as the problems have been so widely telegraphed.
They came to the attention of Western militaries during the Gulf wars against Iraq in 1991 and 2003, when large numbers of the Iraqi army's Russian-made T-72 tanks suffered the same fate -- turrets being blown from their bodies in anti-tank missile strikes.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/27/europe/russia-tanks-blown-turrets-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

Hooooo boy yeah. Russia uses 3 man tank crews and replace the loader crewman with an automatic loading system.  The automatic loader stores the ammunition in a "carousel" around the turret ring, instead of a sealed off compartment in the back of the turret.  So as a Russian tank fires, the carousel clicks around like a cylinder in a revolver.  It's a great idea for keeping your tanks small and your crew sizes small, but the crew is also sitting in the middle of a ring of 125 mm shells if the tank gets hit.

The Soviets wanted smaller, lighter tanks to keep them cheap and mobile.  They figured in a WWIII type scenario, getting there first, with the most and the biggest guns trumped ergonomics and crew survivability. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Hooooo boy yeah. Russia uses 3 man tank crews and replace the loader crewman with an automatic loading system.  The automatic loader stores the ammunition in a "carousel" around the turret ring, instead of a sealed off compartment in the back of the turret.  So as a Russian tank fires, the carousel clicks around like a cylinder in a revolver.  It's a great idea for keeping your tanks small and your crew sizes small, but the crew is also sitting in the middle of a ring of 125 mm shells if the tank gets hit.

The Soviets wanted smaller, lighter tanks to keep them cheap and mobile.  They figured in a WWIII type scenario, getting there first, with the most and the biggest guns trumped ergonomics and crew survivability. 

I think the smaller profile was also a way (they hoped) to reduce target size for anti-tank guns. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I think the smaller profile was also a way (they hoped) to reduce target size for anti-tank guns. 

Yup.  This war has me reading a lot of stuff, re-reading a lot of stuff with new perspective...and if you asked my woman, reading way too much about Soviet era weapons systems.

Doesn't help one of my coworkers is a Tanker in the Reserves.

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Thank you (+1) 1