Chiefs Settle with Britt Reid's Crash Victim

aristocrat

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chiefs-to-pay-medical-expenses-and-provide-long-term-financial-stability-for-girl-injured-in-britt-reid-crash-192603616.html

The Kansas City Chiefs will pay the medical expenses for the 5-year-old girl injured when Britt Reid's truck hit two cars on the side of a highway ramp on Feb. 4.

Ariel Young suffered a traumatic brain injury and was unable to walk or talk after the crash. She was discharged from the hospital in the spring but had to be fed via tube. 

I tried searching for the original thread but the search didn't work.

Let or force the two time loser Britt Reid to pay as much of the bill as possible at least until his prison term starts.

For all the success and money in Andy Reid life, I wouldn't change his life for mine for anything.

What goes through his mind after a life dedicated to football that has helped ruin his two kids.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Just medical expenses? Seems like they should be on the hook for more than that.

15 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Clark Hunt is worth multiple $Billions, which are thousands of Millions.

Maybe because it’s been nearly a year I am forgetting something.

Why would the Chiefs be on the hook for anything? He wasn’t doing any official business. He wasn’t in a work vehicle? Unless they supplied him with booze or were knowledgeable that he was drinking and let him drive home, wouldn’t they be free of any culpability here? 

Not a lawyer. I honestly just don’t understand. 

27 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

a long-term medical care plan could be worth millions. 

18 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Clark Hunt is worth multiple $Billions, which are thousands of Millions.

I would agree that the family deserves all the possible medical bills/care plus much more. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

a long-term medical care plan could be worth millions. 

No argument there, and it will be long-term because as I understand it the child has some permanent brain damage. But the team is directly negligent here - Reid was boozing at the team facility immediately before this collision - he walked right out their doors and into his car.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Just medical expenses? Seems like they should be on the hook for more than that.

It is more than that, per the linked article:

Friday, Young family attorney Tom Porto told the Kansas City Star in a statement that “the parties have finalized a comprehensive care plan that provides Ariel with world-class medical care and long-term financial stability.”

Porto said in the statement that “Ariel’s recovery is a long road, but she has made great strides and continues to improve every day" and was able to attend school this fall. Porto said in a media appearance in March that Young would likely have permanent brain damage from the crash. 

The agreement between the family and the Chiefs likely avoids a civil lawsuit. 

Since that's the girl's attorney, I assume long-term financial stability means just that.  The attorney knows she will have long term brain damage, may require assistance her entire life, and may never be able to hold a job or care for herself.

Sounds like the Chiefs did the right thing, assuming the attorney knows his business and wouldn't settle for being low-balled

KC has to know how horribly this would play out for them in court.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Maybe because it’s been nearly a year I am forgetting something.

Why would the Chiefs be on the hook for anything? He wasn’t doing any official business. He wasn’t in a work vehicle? Unless they supplied him with booze or were knowledgeable that he was drinking and let him drive home, wouldn’t they be free of any culpability here? 

Not a lawyer. I honestly just don’t understand. 

I would agree that the family deserves all the possible medical bills/care plus much more. 

reid was drinking at the facility.

Now the family goes after his insurance company, trust fund if his dad set one up and life insurance so the girl doesn’t have to worry about working and just continues to heal. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

The argument would be that the Chiefs knew or should have known he was drinking - he was drinking at the facility and got into his car and drove directly to the on-ramp from the stadium and into the back end of a car on the side of the road.

My guess is that there may be video from the facility showing him drinking, maybe even having a nightcap with other coaches or staff, or interacting with other coaches or staff who could have realized he was inebriated and acted to pour him into an Uber.

He was also driving a vehicle (truck I think) with Dealer plates, which raises the question if he received the use of that vehicle as a perk of being a Chiefs coach.

In any event, clearly the Chiefs felt that either the PR was gonna be unfavorable enough or the case was going to be clear enough that it was in their best interests to just settle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chiefs-to-pay-medical-expenses-and-provide-long-term-financial-stability-for-girl-injured-in-britt-reid-crash-192603616.html

The Kansas City Chiefs will pay the medical expenses for the 5-year-old girl injured when Britt Reid's truck hit two cars on the side of a highway ramp on Feb. 4.

Ariel Young suffered a traumatic brain injury and was unable to walk or talk after the crash. She was discharged from the hospital in the spring but had to be fed via tube. 

What is the legal situation with Brit?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The argument would be that the Chiefs knew or should have known he was drinking - he was drinking at the facility and got into his car and drove directly to the on-ramp from the stadium and into the back end of a car on the side of the road.

My guess is that there may be video from the facility showing him drinking, maybe even having a nightcap with other coaches or staff, or interacting with other coaches or staff who could have realized he was inebriated and acted to pour him into an Uber.

He was also driving a vehicle (truck I think) with Dealer plates, which raises the question if he received the use of that vehicle as a perk of being a Chiefs coach.

In any event, clearly the Chiefs felt that either the PR was gonna be unfavorable enough or the case was going to be clear enough that it was in their best interests to just settle.

That’s what I was checking on to see if anything came out. Otherwise, I can’t imagine if I sneak bourbon in my coffee at work and kill a kid in a crosswalk on my way home, that my company is liable. 

Didn’t realize about the car/plates. That clearly changes everything. 

Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unless the team supplied him with the booze or there is indisputable evidence the management of the team knew he left drunk (both would make them criminally liable, I would think), I'm not sure what the team's civil exposure is.   Employees covertly drinking at work don't expose the employer, do they? 

Even "dram shop" laws, which pertain to the business actually providing you with the booze, are liable only if it's proven they served "a visibly intoxicated" patron.

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Awesome to be rich and powerful.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless the team supplied him with the booze or there is indisputable evidence the management of the team knew he left drunk (both would make them criminally liable, I would think), I'm not sure what the team's civil exposure is.   Employees covertly drinking at work don't expose the employer, do they? 

Even "dram shop" laws, which pertain to the business actually providing you with the booze, are liable only if it's proven they served "a visibly intoxicated" patron.

I don't know the answer to your questions.

I do know that even without actual legal liability, litigation is expensive - both in terms of lawyer's fees, and in terms of public relations.  Having your coach's DUI son permanently disable a young child is not a good look for "The Shield".  The NFL may have told the Chiefs "make this go away quietly"

And then of course, Reid had two prior convictions for "driving under the influence of a controlled substance" in PA.  The warrant mentioned "multiple DUI contacts" whatever that means (arrests where charges weren't filed?).  It's not impossible that there's evidence people on the team knew he was drinking in the facility and leaving drunk on prior occasions, if not that evening.

Just my opinion, but as with Rugg, when someone does something as horridly irresponsible as Britt Reid did, what are the odds that they didn't do this before? 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

It's medical expenses and long-term care support which is worth tens of millions over the life of a 5-year-old child. 

It saves KC millions in legal fees and avoids the bad publicity from a civil lawsuit.

For the little girl and her family, they get immediate support rather than having to wait years for a civil suit to wind through the courts.  

Best solution for an awful situation.

BTW, Britt Reid is facing felony DWI charges so he's not "off the hook" for his actions.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.