The Singletary Conundrum.

ChicagoRic

He would be a decent third down back if he could catch, the reality is Beane loves to do the exact opposite of his usual strategy of drafting the best athletes when it comes to RB.  These guys aren’t gifted enough to be anything more than a replacement in the NFL.  Breida had great speed, but has never done anything, he looked like the best back by a mile last week, that says all you need to know.

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Everyone is super high on the whole Offense now, which saw all of its snaps against the lowly Jets.  

What's you point?

That is my point. I'm surprised people don't have whiplash with all the constant head jerking.

Team plays poorly- 'we are the paper tigers'

Team wins by 30- 'we are going to the Super Bowl'

How about people quit defining a team by one game? Buffalo has played 10 games and by now we should have a general idea of what they are.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

That is my point. I'm surprised people don't have whiplash with all the constant head jerking.

Team plays poorly- 'we are the paper tigers'

Team wins by 30- 'we are going to the Super Bowl'

How about people quit defining a team by one game? Buffalo has played 10 games and by now we should have a general idea of what they are.

If we played 10 games then we should definitely fire someone on the analytics side cos how the hell are we 6-3?!

• Haha (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If we played 10 games then we should definitely fire someone on the analytics side cos how the hell are we 6-3?!

Perhaps the NFL has implemented a curve of sorts and the Jags game was dropped.

This thread drags painfully on... Its been 3 years. The Bills CLEARLY have a strategy that on their team in their vision, the RB position is going to be handled by a couple of capable backs on their rookie contracts and drafted in the middle rounds. They are going to only need said backs to handle a running game that does JUST ENOUGH to create balance for their passing game. That's ALL they are looking for. If they so happen to find a speed to the edge guy for cheap in FA (Breida) they'll use him as part of the plan or in the mix as well. Singletary, even with his faults of not being speedy and occasional fumbling issues (note this year that 2 of his fumbles are on pass receptions as he is literally stepping out of bounds) is the best of the 3 backs on this team and deserves to get the most carries of the 3. Much of fan's frustration with him has proven to be misguided based on avg yards before contact being one of the lowest in the league in Buffalo. That's almost entirely on the O-line. It's been displayed on plenty of film breakdowns AND statistically. With the team now finally trying to utilize some O-line lateral motion and get Brieda in there and out to the edge occasionally, here's hoping they've found the right balance to make this COMPLIMENTARY RUNNING GAME work. That is all they intend to have here, and Singletary is piece that works just fine into that plan. There is no "Singletary Conundrum" as it were.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I just hate worrying about a fumble whenever he runs with it. He also seems to drop too many passes. Hate to say lack of concentration cuz I'm not in his head, but drops and fumbles are holding him back. IMO. Hard to trust him with the ball. 

Yes, same for me.  Numbers aside, it just seems like Singletary does not have the "it factor".  It's hard to explain, but in crucial moments he can't be counted on to make a spark or a statement play.  The 2nd effort.  The "angry run".   All too often it's "Singletary, open in the flat.....and he drops the ball" or "It's 3rd and 2, here's Singletary off the left side......and it looks like he's a foot short".  Hard to quantify. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is ridiculous. Singletary is averaging 5ypc running behind a leaky line and having to start 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage in shotgun. Give me a break. These people complaining about Singletary are the same ones that were clamoring for LeVeon Bell 2 years ago.

Statistically speaking what do you want to see from Singletary? 8 ypc? You people are crazy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

This is ridiculous. Singletary is averaging 5ypc running behind a leaky line and having to start 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage in shotgun. Give me a break. These people complaining about Singletary are the same ones that were clamoring for LeVeon Bell 2 years ago.

Statistically speaking what do you want to see from Singletary? 8 ypc? You people are crazy.

Personally I want him to stop putting the ball on the ground. Other than that the way he has played this year I have been happy with. You can't have 5 fumbles in 9 games. That leads the league among non-Quarterbacks. He also leads the Bills in drops. They are the things holding him back. He is running much better than last year, hit the hole fast, dance at the second level that is much more what he was as a rookie than what he was in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Motor will be better if we do more under center, heavy packages and play action like last game.  

Per the chart above the guy I wanted in 2019 draft was Tony Pollard and his metrics there and YPC and TDs bear that out.  Ideal back for a platoon role.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Personally I want him to stop putting the ball on the ground. Other than that the way he has played this year I have been happy with. You can't have 5 fumbles in 9 games. That leads the league among non-Quarterbacks. He also leads the Bills in drops. They are the things holding him back. He is running much better than last year, hit the hole fast, dance at the second level that is much more what he was as a rookie than what he was in 2020. 

Why not bring up QBs? Is it because Allen also has 5?

He can't get better if he doesn't play. 

18 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Why not bring up QBs? Is it because Allen also has 5?

He can't get better if he doesn't play. 

Nope, it is because the top 9 fumblers in the league so far are all QBs and QBs touch the ball the most, so that makes some sort of sense. Motor leads the league in fumbles for running backs despite being 33rd in the number of carries. You can't put the ball on the floor that often. Like I said, his decisiveness, his decision making, his first step.... all of those are much improved on last year and I have loved that. But he has to hold onto the ball, both when it's thrown to him, but particularly when he runs it. 

• Agree 1

He struggles catching the ball. Last week he fumbled with no one near him. Yes the 5 ypc is very good but he doesn't break tackles like he did his rookie year.  I don't know what his future will be.  The organization clearly needs a better OL including the ability to block. Devin would benefit from less RPO runs from a stopped position. I wish we could take the skills of all 3 RB's and put them  in 1 back.

He's Just a Guy. People have been screaming for the past two years it's all on the Offensive Line and that he's got a good average. But the average is skewed by garbage time runs. When it counts, it seems like he's always being stuffed. And even with a "bad line" - with as pass heavy as we are, there should be runs to be made with most defenders playing the pass.

The fact is defenses don't fear him. They don't respect him. They play him with 4 Lineman, almost never loading the box, and he still can't get the job done. Beane went into the offseason not blaming him and not blaming the Line. Bringing back the same personnel on the Line and the Backfield. And nothing's changed. We're nowhere in the running game.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, DCofNC said:

He would be a decent third down back if he could catch, the reality is Beane loves to do the exact opposite of his usual strategy of drafting the best athletes when it comes to RB.  These guys aren’t gifted enough to be anything more than a replacement in the NFL.  Breida had great speed, but has never done anything, he looked like the best back by a mile last week, that says all you need to know.

He is a decent third down back.

He can catch.

As for replacements, that's just flat-out nonsense.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's Just a Guy. People have been screaming for the past two years it's all on the Offensive Line and that he's got a good average. But the average is skewed by garbage time runs. When it counts, it seems like he's always being stuffed. And even with a "bad line" - with as pass heavy as we are, there should be runs to be made with most defenders playing the pass.

The fact is defenses don't fear him. They don't respect him. They play him with 4 Lineman, almost never loading the box, and he still can't get the job done. Beane went into the offseason not blaming him and not blaming the Line. Bringing back the same personnel on the Line and the Backfield. And nothing's changed. We're nowhere in the running game.

Doesn't make sense.

Garbage time runs increase your number of runs. They don't increase your YPA.

More, know what his run stats are this year in the fourth quarter when up or down by eight points or more? He's 0 for 0 in those cases. Doesn't have a single run in that kind of situation. So, nonsense.

https://www.footballdb.com/players/devin-singletary-singlde01/splits

Defenses absolutely respect him. They play him with the same amounts of linemen that they have with Moss and Breida. That's a result of having Josh Allen in the backfield. Do they respect him as an elite back? No nor a top ten guy. But as a solid RB who can easily make you miss? Yeah, absolutely.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.