The Singletary Conundrum.

ChicagoRic

47 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

I’d like to see him get 10-20 touches a game. Maybe he needs consistency to get going. Yes he makes guys miss here and there every game but I don’t see elite escapability. I like his combo of toughness and wiggle in the hole but nothing screams very above avg from what we’ve seen so far. Give him some touches and let’s find out then.

There’s no reason to give him 10-20 touches a game. The 8-15 he’s getting right is just fine. He doesn’t make guys miss here and there… he makes a guy miss on like every touch. He’s averaging 5 yards a carry… that’s tied for 7th among RB. He needs to clean up his ball security… otherwise he’s just fine. 

There’s no reason to force feed him the ball when we have Josh Allen. 20ish touches/game between Breida, Moss and Singletary is appropriate. 

We just need the threat the run to have success on offense. 

EDIT: Singletary and Moss forced missed tackles on 21% and 20% of their touches last year. It puts them both in the top 20 in the NFL. 

For reference Derrick Henry and Zeke Elliot had 20% and 19%. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

There’s no reason to give him 10-20 touches a game. The 8-15 he’s getting right is just fine. He doesn’t make guys miss here and there… he makes a guy miss on like every touch. He’s averaging 5 yards a carry… that’s tied for 7th among RB. He needs to clean up his ball security… otherwise he’s just fine. 

There’s no reason to force feed him the ball when we have Josh Allen. 20ish touches/game between Breida, Moss and Singletary is appropriate. 

We just need the threat the run to have success on offense. 

If you say so. Running back by committee is not something that works for every offense. Apart from last Sunday I’d say we were bad at it for the most part. Hard to gauge if this is because of new wrinkles or bad Jets D performance. If like to see the backs get a whole series rather than this plug n play style but I get that Daboll’s O likes to scheme.

• Agree 1

I'd like to see our featured running back have a little more size and a little more speed than Singletary.  While Singletary has had some very nice long runs in his short career, he generally gets easily chased-down when he reaches open field - he doesn't have a "second gear".  Also would like to see more size to handle blitzes and maybe break a few more tackles.  That said, I don't dislike him - he's serviceable, but just think Bills can do better at RB.

The hate Singletary gets and the love Moss gets makes absolutely no sense. It's like people just listen to the talking idiots on tv and ignore what's happening on the field(seems to happen with everything these days)

Singletary has consistently been the better back. As a rookie before he ever took the field everyone was hyping up Moss like he was the second coming of Derrick Henry with nothing to back it up. 

I would like someone with more speed tho. Breida made the line look competent when he was in

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 3

Please stop with the late round RB stuff.  The sweet spot is late 1st or early-mid 2nd round.  There's no reason to expect to find the guy below that.  We have 2 3rd round RBs who aren't cutting it. Go further down & the odds decrease of finding a franchise back.  A franchise back is the final piece to an unstoppable offense.  OG & RB 1st 2 rounds in either order.  It's time for us to stop cheaping out on those 2 positions.  It's too bad Ford is a bust but it happens. If the Bills have to trade up into the 40s in the 2nd round to get their RB, do it!  

By the 3rd round the best RBs are all but gone.  Sure you can find a late round gem every now & then, but they're the exception, not the rule.  Here is the draft status of the NFL top 5 rushers so far in 2021:

D. Henry: 2nd pick 45

J. Taylor 2nd 41

N. Chubb 2nd 35

E. Elliott 1st 4

D. Cook 2nd 41

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

3 years in, and I still don't have this guy figured out.

On one hand, his yards per carry has been consistently good.  5.0 yards per carry this season.  He's our leading rusher.  He's a willing an able blocker.

On the other hand, when the time comes for him to make a crucial first down (12 this year, on 80 carries, and just 3 broken tackles) or punch it in the end zone (6 career TDs over 3 years), he always seems to come up short.

He coughs up the ball at crucial moments (5 fumbles this year).

When he has an open field ahead of him, he drops the easy pass  (10.7% drop percentage).

I like the way he runs..until the Bills really NEED a play to happen.  Then, he's the last offensive player I want to touch the ball.

So, what is he?  Good player?  Bad player? Just a guy?

Ultimately, he's a RB and therefore expendable. But, regarding the bolded, he's currently 5th in the league in tackles avoided per attempt and tied for 17th in total tackles avoided per PFF. Also slightly above average in terms of yards after contact per attempt.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Please stop with the late round RB stuff.  The sweet spot is late 1st or early-mid 2nd round.  There's no reason to expect to find the guy below that.  We have 2 3rd round RBs who aren't cutting it. Go further down & the odds decrease of finding a franchise back.  A franchise back is the final piece to an unstoppable offense.  OG & RB 1st 2 rounds in either order.  It's time for us to stop cheaping out on those 2 positions.  It's too bad Ford is a bust but it happens. If the Bills have to trade up into the 40s in the 2nd round to get their RB, do it!  

By the 3rd round the best RBs are all but gone.  Sure you can find a late round gem every now & then, but they're the exception, not the rule.  Here is the draft status of the NFL top 5 rushers so far in 2021:

J. Taylor 2nd 41

N. Chubb 2nd 35

E. Elliott 1st 4

D. Cook 2nd 41

Those are some of the top RBs for sure.  I do not mind a second round RB.  But...

Some third round RBs....

Alvin Kamara

Kareem Hunt

David Johnson

David Montgomery

DeMarco Murray

Frank Gore

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

J. Taylor 2nd 41

N. Chubb 2nd 35

E. Elliott 1st 4

D. Cook 2nd 41

Correlation is not necessarily causation.  Teams that draft a RB high may feel the need to run them more.  Looking at rush attempts you see something similar, but Kamara is in top 5.  YPA seems a better metric, and when we remove QBs we get 

1. N Chubb 2nd round (6.0)

2. J Taylor 2nd round (5.8)

3. C Edmonds 4th round (5.7)

4 J Robinson UDFA (5.4)

5 T Pollard 4th round (5.4)

It continues this way that for every 2nd or 1st round pick there is a later pick.  I guess where we might disagree is need for a franchise RB.  You want 1 guy to carry the rock 20+ times?  I dont want that and it seems we can get plenty of efficiency drafting players later.

• Like (+1) 2

He’s got some skills. I kinda thought they’d use him on screens a bit more given his abilities in space. He has pretty good vision and an ability to squeak thru a pile and pick up yards. Contact balance is pretty good too. 

I wonder if their “hot hand” approach is detrimental at times. If you’re rotating every other series or whatever, it can be hard to get into a groove and get a read on how the defense is playing you. Maybe sometimes they just need to stick with him or Moss for several series in a row just to see what happens. 

Breida has been mentioned and yeah he’s fast but he’s not hard to tackle, he’s usually down at first contact. I think they looked at Moss to be that bruiser style back and at times he rips off some nice runs. It’s just inconsistency throughout the backs and the OL. But also, if you’re dedicated to running the ball you’re gonna have to live with every few carries going for one or two or three or losing a couple. Just how it is.

I do like how Daboll mixed it up last Sunday. Gave a lot of run looks but would throw on those downs and then would give a passing look and run it and it saw some success. They also got the play action working big time. Something like 300 of the 366 yards Allen threw for came from play action. 

If the run game struggles continue, I think maybe it’s time they tried to find an all purpose, 3-down kind of back.

16 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

On one hand, his yards per carry has been consistently good.  5.0 yards per carry this season.  He's our leading rusher.  He's a willing an able blocker.

On the other hand, when the time comes for him to make a crucial first down (12 this year, on 80 carries, and just 3 broken tackles) or punch it in the end zone (6 career TDs over 3 years), he always seems to come up short.

When he has an open field ahead of him, he drops the easy pass  (10.7% drop percentage).

I like the way he runs..until the Bills really NEED a play to happen.  Then, he's the last offensive player I want to touch the ball.

Things I think about Devin:

Pros:

1. Shifty - He is a guy who can make people miss and find extra yards in tight spaces.  
  2. Runs hard - He is actually difficult to tackle with his powerful legs and low center of gravity, frequently keeps the pile moving forward once contact is made for such a small guy.
  3. Good vision - He sees the field well and finds seams even when none seem to be there.

Cons:

1. Quick but not fast - He is shifty and quick, especially when cutting, but he doesn't have that next gear explosion.
  2. Unreliable hands - While he can be effective in the passing game, his hands are nothing to write home about.  

Fit here:  I wish Daboll used him better, same with Moss.  We need to play to the strengths more of our RB's and give them chances to get the ball and hit the hole.  We seem to run too many run plays that are slow to develop.  For example, RPO's or delayed handoffs from shotgun formations.  This can be maddening to watch because when they don't work, instead of it being something like a short gain to a short loss, we end up losing 4 to 6 yards which is worse than a false start penalty.  At least with a false start penalty, you get to replay the down when you lose 5 yards.  

I wish Daboll would give our guys more opportunities to get the ball and hit holes.  Until then, its not clear just how good Devin or Moss could be. 

17 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

The Bills use him correctly, 8 touches a game. 

As long as Zack Moss continues to see the ball less and less I am all for it. 

I think he’d be better if they gave him the ball more. The constant changing of RBs is silliness. Let a guy get into the rhythm of the game. Wether it’s Singletary or Moss. Pick a guy, play him and use the other guy here and there to give him a blow. Rotating them every other drive is asinine. Neither of them will ever be good and I think it’s because they don’t play enough. No feel for the game, no rhythm. Pick a guy and play him.

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Things I think about Devin:

Pros:

1. Shifty - He is a guy who can make people miss and find extra yards in tight spaces.  
  2. Runs hard - He is actually difficult to tackle with his powerful legs and low center of gravity, frequently keeps the pile moving forward once contact is made for such a small guy.
  3. Good vision - He sees the field well and finds seams even when none seem to be there.

Cons:

1. Quick but not fast - He is shifty and quick, especially when cutting, but he doesn't have that next gear explosion.
  2. Unreliable hands - While he can be effective in the passing game, his hands are nothing to write home about.  

Fit here:  I wish Daboll used him better, same with Moss.  We need to play to the strengths more of our RB's and give them chances to get the ball and hit the hole.  We seem to run too many run plays that are slow to develop.  For example, RPO's or delayed handoffs from shotgun formations.  This can be maddening to watch because when they don't work, instead of it being something like a short gain to a short loss, we end up losing 4 to 6 yards which is worse than a false start penalty.  At least with a false start penalty, you get to replay the down when you lose 5 yards.  

I wish Daboll would give our guys more opportunities to get the ball and hit holes.  Until then, its not clear just how good Devin or Moss could be. 

I was about to write this out but you did it for me. His biggest problem with getting going is the defense in the backfield, but anyone not named Barry Sanders would have issues. Overall he is good, not great.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.