The Singletary Conundrum.

ChicagoRic

3 years in, and I still don't have this guy figured out.

On one hand, his yards per carry has been consistently good.  5.0 yards per carry this season.  He's our leading rusher.  He's a willing an able blocker.

On the other hand, when the time comes for him to make a crucial first down (12 this year, on 80 carries, and just 3 broken tackles) or punch it in the end zone (6 career TDs over 3 years), he always seems to come up short.

He coughs up the ball at crucial moments (5 fumbles this year).

When he has an open field ahead of him, he drops the easy pass  (10.7% drop percentage).

I like the way he runs..until the Bills really NEED a play to happen.  Then, he's the last offensive player I want to touch the ball.

So, what is he?  Good player?  Bad player? Just a guy?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I think Brieda’s performance shows Devin is just another guy. Motor was touted as a guy who could get a lot of yards after first contact (in college he excelled at this) and at the NFL level he hasn’t shown it. If he could blow through holes with speed or jook a guy out of his jock then this could be forgiven. But he can’t so we shouldn’t.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Motor doesn't get the ball anywhere near enough for a back of his ability.  I will not subscribe to this assessment of him.  YPA for a running back does not lie.  5.0 YPA is ELITE.  If Motor gets his touches, he will produce.  No RB is going to look good with < 10 carries a game.

Yup, if this was a running team and he got the average amount of carries I'd say in at least 4 of the games he have 110+ yrds. But glad this is the Josh show

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

I think Brieda’s performance shows Devin is just another guy. Motor was touted as a guy who could get a lot of yards after first contact (in college he excelled at this) and at the NFL level he hasn’t shown it. If he could blow through holes with speed or jook a guy out of his jock then this could be forgiven. But he can’t so we shouldn’t.

This just simply isn’t true. He constantly makes guys miss with his jukes. But he needs a head start to implement his feats. If/when he’s stopped dead in his tracks behind the O-line, he’s toast.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Singletary is the best back on this football team.  I don't like the fumbles but at least most of them went oob.  The guy doesn't get enough snaps to get in a rhythm because this is a passing football team and for whatever reason the Bills have a fetish of giving Moss more than half the carries.  Probably because he is the least prone to fumble I guess but he isn't as good of a back IMO.

Mostly the problem in the run game is the offensive line and the tells.  They did a better job this past week.  Running out of shotgun is also not optimal for RBs because they don't get that head of steam nor do they have really good vision of the line by the time they get the ball, but the Bills did less of that this week too.  Thats why the run game looked better.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

JAG

They're all JAGs. The Bills should draft RBs in the later rounds with high RAS. The 49ers did that with Mitchell and Sermon. Both late round guys, but both above 9 (out of 10) for RAS. So far Mitchell looks really good.

By comparison, Singletary and Moss are around 1 and 2 for RAS. Super low.

Since RBs are a dime a dozen in this system, don't overthink it. Just put some freak athletes back there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

24 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

JAG

They're all JAGs. The Bills should draft RBs in the later rounds with high RAS. The 49ers did that with Mitchell and Sermon. Both late round guys, but both above 9 (out of 10) for RAS. So far Mitchell looks really good.

By comparison, Singletary and Moss are around 1 and 2 for RAS. Super low.

Since RBs are a dime a dozen in this system, don't overthink it. Just put some freak athletes back there.

We've got to do somethin'   

We need to upgrade the OL AND get better backs, imho...

And you're right. We need bigger and faster backs.

3 hours ago, Freddie&#x27;s Dead said:

Motor doesn't get the ball anywhere near enough for a back of his ability.  I will not subscribe to this assessment of him.  YPA for a running back does not lie.  5.0 YPA is ELITE.  If Motor gets his touches, he will produce.  No RB is going to look good with < 10 carries a game.

This!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

3 years in, and I still don't have this guy figured out.

On one hand, his yards per carry has been consistently good.  5.0 yards per carry this season.  He's our leading rusher.  He's a willing an able blocker.

On the other hand, when the time comes for him to make a crucial first down (12 this year, on 80 carries, and just 3 broken tackles) or punch it in the end zone (6 career TDs over 3 years), he always seems to come up short.

He coughs up the ball at crucial moments (5 fumbles this year).

When he has an open field ahead of him, he drops the easy pass  (10.7% drop percentage).

I like the way he runs..until the Bills really NEED a play to happen.  Then, he's the last offensive player I want to touch the ball.

So, what is he?  Good player?  Bad player? Just a guy?

Good player, but far from great

But a lot of his lack of TDs is that he isn't in the game when they're down at the goal line. Moss is in there, or nobody and if they run it, it's Allen.

You can't just hold the raw numbers against him there. He's had 6 career TDs, but out of how many runs from inside the 5 yard line? He's not our hammer, nor will he ever be. But that doesn't mean he's not good.

Singletary's yards per carry (5.0) is great but deceiving.  The other teams are shocked, shocked when the Bills run the ball.  Their defenses are geared toward rushing the QB and stopping the deep passes, not preventing a RB from getting 5 yards.  

• Like (+1) 3

One of Buffalo's best running games of the season and the very next day we want to chloroform poor Devin Singletary

Go Figure :doh:

7 Carries-6.1 yard average, 43 yards and 1 TD

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Singletary's yards per carry (5.0) is great but deceiving.  The other teams are shocked, shocked when the Bills run the ball.  Their defenses are geared toward rushing the QB and stopping the deep passes, not preventing a RB from getting 5 yards.  

This explains him at 5.1 his rookie year in 2019, when we weren't a modern version of the USFL?

8 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

If he could blow through holes with speed or jook a guy out of his jock then this could be forgiven. But he can’t so we shouldn

When things were going really bad with our run game, part of the reason we even gained yards at all was because Devin would make a guy miss in the backfield… he jukes a guy out on like every run. 

What games are you watching? 

I don’t think he’s an elite back by any means, but he’s not as horrible as everyone makes him sound. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

When things were going really bad with our run game, part of the reason we even gained yards at all was because Devin would make a guy miss in the backfield… he jukes a guy out on like every run. 

What games are you watching? 

I don’t think he’s an elite back by any means, but he’s not as horrible as everyone makes him sound. 

I’d like to see him get 10-20 touches a game. Maybe he needs consistency to get going. Yes he makes guys miss here and there every game but I don’t see elite escapability. I like his combo of toughness and wiggle in the hole but nothing screams very above avg from what we’ve seen so far. Give him some touches and let’s find out then.

• Like (+1) 1

As Josh gets older and runs less we will need a rb that can both run between the tackles and threaten the edge of the defense. I expect we will draft later round guys until someone can do that but for now we will stand pat. I'll be surprised if we sign him to a long term deal.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.