Sean McDermott press conference 11-10

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

The Steelers, Phins, & Jags games all had a common theme of a team that under estimated their opposition and thought they would just win because they are talented. I agree I thought the Phins game would've got the offense to say "crap we really need to tighten up" but it didn't.

Agreed, I was also going to include the Steelers game.

37 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Agree, I am listening right now, and it's mostly this message - the 2021 Bills haven't been physical enough, disciplined enough. 

It feels like McDermott is going to take the reigns more on offense and he's going to make a concerted effort to run more. 

But was this Press Conference any different than the usual? Not really, nothing specific. There is nowhere to turn on the offensive line personnel, and I don't think Gilliam can provide anything as a fullback, so I expect it to look pretty ineffective actually. 

I agree with most of this, except the part of expecting the offense to look pretty ineffective. I don't think what we saw on Sunday is going to be the norm. 

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Sean McDermott won’t go into strategy, but says #Bills must run ball better if they want to be team they want to be. Notes to go all the way back to end of last season with struggles. Adds he thought run game would’ve been improved by now.

No kidding,  the line needs to do better but i think we also should give Antonio Williams a shot over two guys they have now

Moss and Singletary, when given a crack, rarely do much with it. Neither excels in moving a pile either. We have 2 RBs that would be a 3 on most teams.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Moss and Singletary, when given a crack, rarely do much with it. Neither excels in moving a pile either. We have 2 RBs that would be a 3 on most teams.

Thanks,  unless your football blind you would miss that,  both are average players and more than likely one of both will be out of the league before their second contracts. I hope Sean's changes mean giving someone else a chance,  like Sean said this has been a issue since last season.  Beane himself said it's a problem after the season

42 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

looked up PFF stats - Dawkins has 7 penalties tied for second most in the league  - he and Morse are our highest rated OL - with grades in the 60s -

with Brown next with Feliciano who has not given up a sack.

Teller grades in the high 80s.

PFF has Cody Ford graded the highest offensive player on the Bills week 9. 🤡

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

likely a lot of nonsense coach talk.  

and if i ever hear say "they wanted it more than us," whoever on the team/or staff wanted it "less", should be fired/benched instantly.  You're a pro athlete, no excuse for that.  it's the cliche saying players/coaches use when they have no clue what happened.  

The talk is noteworthy because it is precisely the opposite of what you reference.

Sal Capaccio said it was the most frank and honest McDermott has ever been.

I haven't had a chance to listen myself yet.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

likely a lot of nonsense coach talk.  

and if i ever hear say "they wanted it more than us," whoever on the team/or staff wanted it "less", should be fired/benched instantly.  You're a pro athlete, no excuse for that.  it's the cliche saying players/coaches use when they have no clue what happened.  

I'd rather listen to Beth Mowins announcing a table tennis game, while I am having a migraine headache, than read your takes about the Bills.

40 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Really makes me miss Frank Gore just running through the line and dragging half the defense with him down the field.  It's like when my one friend would go in a mosh pit.  He didn't swing his arms or anything.  He just ran back and forth through the crowd like they were water because he was so damn BIG.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah it's not a good tone, it's almost like he's publicly conceding the issue isn't just about effort/execution but this organization as a whole grossly miscalculated the talent on this roster and what is shaping up to be an epic failure to bring back pretty much the same team from last year that fell short of the SB and wasn't even competitive in their final game.

This is why the season is pretty much on the line this week, you lose to the Jets and Mike White things will go further south quickly and you'll see the defense start to pack it in so to speak once they know this offense is truly toast and can't move the ball or score anymore.

The knee jerk reactions are hilarious...it was a bad game and thats it...we were missing 2 key players on the line and the backups missed a ton of blocks..lots of the pressure was simply mental mistakes by the oline..i expect the problems will be fixed come sunday

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If I didn't listen  how would I feel that he sound beat up and it was depressing, you think I just guessed?  Regardless, I obviously disagree it is a "Bad Take".

Well, not listening hasn't stopped others from opining....you could also have just listened to a few minutes.

We can most certainly agree to disagree

41 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'd rather listen to Beth Mowins announcing a table tennis game, while I am having a migraine headache, than read your takes about the Bills.

There is this helpful feature called the "ignore" function which will prevent you from reading his takes.

It won't help with Beth Mowins and the table tennis game though

30 minutes ago, Amorgus said:

Really makes me miss Frank Gore just running through the line and dragging half the defense with him down the field.  It's like when my one friend would go in a mosh pit.  He didn't swing his arms or anything.  He just ran back and forth through the crowd like they were water because he was so damn BIG.

His year with us, Gore averaged 3.6 ypa.  That average of 3.6 ypa was comprised of games 3-6, where he averaged 5.3 ypa, games 2 and 7 where he had 3.6 and 3.8 ypa, and  then games 8-14 where he averaged 2.1 ypa (and that's inflated by a single game; many were 1.22 or 1.5 ypa)

So, I'm not quite sure what exactly you're missing.  Halfway through the season, Gore was cooked and it was painful to watch.

Hearing all this stuff about how the bills seem to be "all buisness" this week makes me wonder if they'll change their PR a little. Meaning less player interaction with fans and less fun and games. I don't think this would necessarily be a bad thing, just wondering if McDermott will go to that extent 

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

The Steelers, Phins, & Jags games all had a common theme of a team that under estimated their opposition and thought they would just win because they are talented. I agree I thought the Phins game would've got the offense to say "crap we really need to tighten up" but it didn't.

I think it goes a little deeper.

I think the gameplan for all three games was based on:

1) our strategy for success will focus heavily on the passing game

2) we don't have to marshal a capable rush threat to beat them

3) our OL will hold up to give us time to pass - if they blitz and play man, Allen will pick them apart; if they rush 4, we'll protect long enough for the deep routes and a shifty slot guy like Beasley to work open.

The thinking after the Pittsburgh game was, OK, Pittsburgh has an exceptional DL.  Maybe we have to run (1,0) and empty sets less and (1,1) and (1,2) sets more so we can protect, but Pittsburgh has an exceptional DL and Tomlin spent his summer vacation studying how to beat us.

But other teams who have good but not great DLs have figured out that our OL doesn't seem able to handle twists and stunts and they can get home with it while running 2 high safeties and flooding the middle of the field where Allen was deadly last season.

Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

looked up PFF stats - Dawkins has 7 penalties tied for second most in the league  - he and Morse are our highest rated OL - with grades in the 60s -

with Brown next with Feliciano who has not given up a sack.

Teller grades in the high 80s.

I mean whoopie, but someone posted Ford was their highest graded OLman in the Jags game, and that's so absurd that I can't exactly put a lot of weight in their OL grading system.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's nice to know you can summarize the presser without bothering to listen to it.

You should be accorded all the credit you deserve for this take.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There is this helpful feature called the "ignore" function which will prevent you from reading his takes.

It won't help with Beth Mowins and the table tennis game though

Well, I was just according him all the credit he deserves for his take.

1 hour ago, Billever76 said:

The knee jerk reactions are hilarious...it was a bad game and thats it...we were missing 2 key players on the line and the backups missed a ton of blocks..lots of the pressure was simply mental mistakes by the oline..i expect the problems will be fixed come sunday

But our line is bad. 

Regardless of Spencer Brown and John Feliciano, our line is bad.

Allen makes it look alright most of the time because he is so mobile.

After Week One, the line was Pittsburgh is unique, nobody can do that. That has been proven false.

A lot of teams can collapse our line. 

The Bills have 3-losses now, with the offensive line playing a key role in all of them. Can’t just write it off anymore.

1 hour ago, Amorgus said:

We need a back with power and speed! Good analogy my friend. Oh those mosh pit days lol

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Agree, I am listening right now, and it's mostly this message - the 2021 Bills haven't been physical enough, disciplined enough. 

It feels like McDermott is going to take the reigns more on offense and he's going to make a concerted effort to run more. 

But was this Press Conference any different than the usual? Not really, nothing specific. There is nowhere to turn on the offensive line personnel, and I don't think Gilliam can provide anything as a fullback, so I expect it to look pretty ineffective actually. 

The Bills came into the game with the top scoring offense in the league. So why is it now impossible for their offense to be effective? People are acting like it is impossible for this team to recover from the Jags game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.