Losing enthusiasm for football

The Red King

I understand.

If you decide to keep watching is your personal decision.

I found enough reasons not to that I stopped. It put a ton of time and money back into play for me.

For me, I came to understand that football is a fantasy.

Ironically I listen to sports radio now even though I don't care, because reality is worse lol.

It's pleasant to listen to something meaningless when I'm driving to and from work :)

As for your pain, this is what I did.

A loss would leave me really feeling down on Sunday, and then all day Monday too.

Stop eating sugar. No nothing with sugar starting at least by training camp.

You will become very sensitive to sugar.

Have a big cookie or something handy on game days.

If they lose, eat it.

I kid you not, you will feel fine.

You'll have no pain.

Gone.

It's extremely powerful *if* your body isn't used to sugar.

Try it you will see.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Yeah, call it a potential overreaction to today, but even before the game started, watching felt like a chore, not a boon.

Football meant everything to me.  It was quality time with my dad, who taught me all about it.  One of my best memories of my dad was being together at the stadium for The Comeback.  It was in my blood.

But now it seems the wins feel good, but the losses feel so much worse.  I'm watching the games on my own now, my kids aren't into football.

My stress levels are through the roof on close games.  Today was miserable.  A loss, bad coaching, bad playing, abyssmal officiating (for the first time I am seriously wondering if the NFL is fixed/scripted).  And it's not over.  This loss is going to stay with me and haunt me.

I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore.  If the good feelings are worth the bad feelings and time commited.  Yes, a Super Bowl win would be euphoric.  But the odds are against that.  Would anything else, even a season ending in a Super Bowl loss, be worth the time and torment invested?  It's like buying an expensive emotional lottery ticket.

I'm...kinda starting to think not, that this just isn't worth it.  Anyone else feel the same, or at least understand?

I know what you mean. Had a couple of ***** weeks culminated with having to bury my father in law yesterday. Flew home from Buffalo last night, had tickets but didn’t feel like driving over from Orlando, just exhausted emotionally, physically. Glad I didn’t waste the time. But the losses really sting these days, and I used to talk about every game to my father in law. We shared a mutual hatred of New England & love of football and the Bills. But that is gone now and all this can seem like a big emotional waste of time after days like these.

I said the same thing today. The gut wrenching losses give me more pain than the wins give me joy.  So not sure how to deal with that going forward. It’s especially tough when the club has Super Bowl potential (or at least we think they did).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I know what you mean. Had a couple of ***** weeks culminated with having to bury my father in law yesterday. Flew home from Buffalo last night, had tickets but didn’t feel like driving over from Orlando, just exhausted emotionally, physically. Glad I didn’t waste the time. But the losses really sting these days, and I used to talk about every game to my father in law. We shared a mutual hatred of New England & love of football and the Bills. But that is gone now and all this can seem like a big emotional waste of time after days like these.

My condolences.  Maybe that's part of it for me.  My daughter was a fan for a couple years, but no longer.  I'm watching these alone now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Yeah, call it a potential overreaction to today, but even before the game started, watching felt like a chore, not a boon.

Football meant everything to me.  It was quality time with my dad, who taught me all about it.  One of my best memories of my dad was being together at the stadium for The Comeback.  It was in my blood.

But now it seems the wins feel good, but the losses feel so much worse.  I'm watching the games on my own now, my kids aren't into football.

My stress levels are through the roof on close games.  Today was miserable.  A loss, bad coaching, bad playing, abyssmal officiating (for the first time I am seriously wondering if the NFL is fixed/scripted).  And it's not over.  This loss is going to stay with me and haunt me.

I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore.  If the good feelings are worth the bad feelings and time commited.  Yes, a Super Bowl win would be euphoric.  But the odds are against that.  Would anything else, even a season ending in a Super Bowl loss, be worth the time and torment invested?  It's like buying an expensive emotional lottery ticket.

I'm...kinda starting to think not, that this just isn't worth it.  Anyone else feel the same, or at least understand?

Geezus, it’s a game.  Relax.  

I hate losing as much as anyone, but once it’s over it’s over.  How anyone let’s a sports team losing drag them down so much emotionally is puzzling to me.  

I was in Buffalo for the first time ever to go to opening day and first Bills home game.  We lost.  I still had an amazing trip and amazing experience.  

Friday my parents called to tell me that my stepdad has lung cancer and begins radiation treatment soon.  That’s the kind of stuff to worry about or stress over, not a sports game.  

I won my suicide pool today thanks to the Cowboys, so I’m still in a good mood even though Bills crapped the bed and my phone is full of mocking text messages from friends.  

Go outside or do something fun with your kids.  Who cares about the loss, it’s over, it’s one week, it’s one game.  On to the next game, it’s a long season.

The college game is just so much better in so many ways.  NFL games are almost unwatchable.  Penalty flags almost every snap, brutal injuries all over the field, and like 1/2 a dozen reviews every half.  The games has zero pace and flow, just a bad product to watch.

I heard a great quote this week about the NHL that I think also applies to NFL.  Hockey is a great sport, the NHL is a crap league.  Football is a great sport, the NFL is a crap league.

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

I feel you. I've started paying attention less and less. My kids aren't into it and it just doesn't feel as important as it used to be...and I feel myself slowly losing enthusiasm for the stress that comes with sports in general. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I remember when the time between when I woke up and kickoff was torture.  OMG is it 1 yet?  I'll watch the pregame show, but hrrrgh!  The thought of even missing the opening kickoff was blasphemy.  If I had to miss a game, if possible I'd be checking my phone for updates.  I was excited, regardless of how good or bad the Bills or their opponents were.

This season is different.  Today, it was, "Oh, wait.  It's 12:55?  Guess I better put the game on."

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Lost it long ago. No longer emotionally invested in this team or this game. It is pure entertainment and like today when it wasn’t entertaining it got shut off and went to do something else. 

LOL; you've been probably the most active poster post-game!  If that's not emotionally invested, I don't know what is.

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

LOL; you've been probably the most active poster post-game!  If that's not emotionally invested, I don't know what is.

Nope this is entertainment I enjoy the interaction it is fun. see how that works? ENTERTAINMENT 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

I feel the same, in a way. I'll watch every Sunday...I just don't care when they lose anymore. When they were stopped at the end of the Titans game I remembering thinking 'oh well'. I'm already over today's game.

May or may not watch some Sunday night football, will probably watch a movie or play some video games.

As long as you don't get yourself thinking they have a chance to get to the super bowl you'll be alright.  Don't let them set you up for the BIG LETDOWN!  This team is NOT a super bowl contender, mark my words.

I've tried to pull away before - not just from Bills fandom, but sports in general. 

Sports is very few moments of joy, and tons of anguish.

But it's like a limb or something.  You can't really get away from it.  If I try not to watch a game, people still text me, I still end up checking in, it's all still there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

Therapy may be an option in your situation. 

Well, my favorite college team, my alma mater, the worst FBS team in the country, finally broke its 20 game losing streak yesterday (mostly due to Cal losing 10 starters and 24 players total to injury and Covid protocols, but still a win is a win). So yippie! Follow that up with today's absolute abomination of a Bills' game, and you have a perfect example of the roller coaster of sports. I generally just watch games where one of my teams is playing.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.