[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Was anyone else surprised at his BAL of .16?  I assumed it would be higher.  

The mean BAL (1999 DOJ numbers) for arrests resulting in parole was .18 for men and .22 for women.  For those who did time it was .19 and .25.

Not surprised by it one way or the other, but you’re right, that’s not “falling down drunk.”

31 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

I just had to do the math. 157mph is 230' per second. THAT is some serious speed Wow. The Vette hits that speed in 10 seconds

So in reality, it's more complicated, but a commonly used perception-reaction time value is 1.5 seconds.  Ruggs would have had to perceive that the Rav4 was in his path and react to brake or avoid it when he was more than 345 feet away (more than the length of a football field and an endzone).

6 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Obviously annoyed by this whole situation and the POS Ruggs. But also the reporting that he suffered “serious injuries”. Am I the only one who doesn’t believe injuries are serious if you get released from the hospital the same day? 

I could have missed something, but all the reporting I've seen was that Rugg's girlfriend had serious injuries but Ruggs was released. 

And yes, it is a point that generally if you're released from hospital the same day, your injuries weren't that serious.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So in reality, it's more complicated, but a commonly used perception-reaction time value is 1.5 seconds.  Ruggs would have had to perceive that the Rav4 was in his path and react to brake or avoid it when he was more than 345 feet away (more than the length of a football field and an endzone).

I could have missed something, but all the reporting I've seen was that Rugg's girlfriend had serious injuries but Ruggs was released. 

And yes, it is a point that generally if you're released from hospital the same day, your injuries weren't that serious.

He apparently was arraigned in a wheelchair, and had to be transported to his residence by the police after he made bail, they probably didn't want him around the hospital any longer than they had to.

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The net says a 2020 Vette brakes from 60 in 110'.  From 170 in 800'.  Say he needed 700', and your reaction time of 1.5, more likely 2.5 because of his blood alcohol. By the time he recognized what was about to happen and he comes to a dead stop, that's like a quarter mile.

Maybe he needs much less to get to 90 and swerve to avoid, IDK

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

I just had to do the math. 157mph is 230' per second. THAT is some serious speed Wow. The Vette hits that speed in 10 seconds

The way I looked at it (which goes to show how incredibly reckless (or perhaps wreck inducing ;) ) is if you're going 157 mph & someone pulls out "in front" of you, even 1/4 mile, you're exceeding their avg speed by over 120 mph.  That means that you'll hit them in about 7 seconds.  A car w/ good brakes (which I'm sure the Vette has) can stop from 60 mph in about 100' or roughly 2 seconds.  It'll take a LOT longer to stop from 157 meaning that quite possibly even if you're totally paying attention, have great reaction time, hitting someone that pulls out in front of you, quite possibly BEYOND your range of visibility, it may well be physically impossible to avoid rear ending them.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

He apparently was arraigned in a wheelchair, and had to be transported to his residence by the police after he made bail, they probably didn't want him around the hospital any longer than they had to.

It was initially reported that he had sustained a broken hip.  I would call that a serious injury.  To my understanding, a hip fracture almost always requires surgery, so being released that quickly would kind of preclude that being the case.  He may well have had some injury that will require a period of limited mobility and a level of personal care, then I guess it's a semantics thing if one would consider it "serious" or not. 

I would imagine that Ruggs can afford "concierge care" with special medical privileges, in which case his care would be driven by whatever is best for him.  But I could be wrong there.

59 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

The way I looked at it (which goes to show how incredibly reckless (or perhaps wreck inducing ;) ) is if you're going 157 mph & someone pulls out "in front" of you, even 1/4 mile, you're exceeding their avg speed by over 120 mph.  That means that you'll hit them in about 7 seconds.  A car w/ good brakes (which I'm sure the Vette has) can stop from 60 mph in about 100' or roughly 2 seconds.  It'll take a LOT longer to stop from 157 meaning that quite possibly even if you're totally paying attention, have great reaction time, hitting someone that pulls out in front of you, quite possibly BEYOND your range of visibility, it may well be physically impossible to avoid rear ending them.

that’s a very real consideration in why it’s not just run of the mill dangerous driving. This is an order of magnitude worse.

Ruggs was essentially shooting a gun down Main Street. As noted earlier, I don’t think it’s the first time he’s pulled the trigger, just the first time he hit something. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Obviously annoyed by this whole situation and the POS Ruggs. But also the reporting that he suffered “serious injuries”. Am I the only one who doesn’t believe injuries are serious if you get released from the hospital the same day? 

Agree, he even had the classic foam neck brace thing going. 

37 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

I read somewhere that he had 18 drinks at Top Golf in Vegas. Maybe came from the bartender/waitress, not sure.

OK, I found it here

https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/11/06/video-shows-henry-ruggs-at-top-golf-hours-before-deadly-accident-rumored-to-have-had-18-shots-before-leaving-video/

18 shots plus other mixed drinks over the course of a few hours seems like an "acute alcohol poisoning" quantity to me.

I know that the top 10% of drinkers in America are said to have more than 10 drinks per day, and that binge drinkers on average drink 8 drinks per binge

18 plus mixed drinks still strains belief to me that he would still be able to move, much less "only" 0.16 BAC.  Perhaps it was the bar tab for the whole party, including his girlfriends and any other friends who were there.

Or maybe I'm just a lightweight (well, I actually AM a lightweight), and a guy who parties hearty can really consume that much and stay on his feet, I dunno.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, I found it here

https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/11/06/video-shows-henry-ruggs-at-top-golf-hours-before-deadly-accident-rumored-to-have-had-18-shots-before-leaving-video/

18 shots plus other mixed drinks over the course of a few hours seems like an "acute alcohol poisoning" quantity to me.

I know that the top 10% of drinkers in America are said to have more than 10 drinks per day, and that binge drinkers on average drink 8 drinks per binge

18 plus mixed drinks still strains belief to me that he would still be able to move, much less "only" 0.16 BAC.  Perhaps it was the bar tab for the whole party, including his girlfriends and any other friends who were there.

Or maybe I'm just a lightweight (well, I actually AM a lightweight), and a guy who parties hearty can really consume that much and stay on his feet, I dunno.

18 would probably do you in pretty good.

that said, in the good ol college days, a number like that over the course of a 10pm to 4am kind of night could be managed if staying active, hydrated, fed, and not just pounding 18 shots of whiskey in a half hour. Especially if the bars aren’t pouring heavy and a few of glasses you don’t actually finish fully. 

you start doing that volume and 5% at the bottom of the glass becomes a full drink not consumed, misplace 1-2 partials along the the way, etc… 

Edited by NoSaint

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, I found it here

No to get too much into details, but I knew a guy who would drink a 30 pack of beer every night and manage to go to work the next day. He was able to do this because of all the Sudafed he would also do to stay awake the next day. This is the same person who is the reason NYS made all products like Sudafed become behind the counter drugs. Crazy story and I'm sure you can find that article if you wanted too. 

4 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

No to get too much into details, but I knew a guy who would drink a 30 pack of beer every night and manage to go to work the next day. He was able to do this because of all the Sudafed he would also do to stay awake the next day. This is the same person who is the reason NYS made all products like Sudafed become behind the counter drugs. Crazy story and I'm sure you can find that article if you wanted too. 

I thought sudafed was made behind the counter because it is used to make Meth. 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I thought sudafed was made behind the counter because it is used to make Meth. 

That wasn't a problem in NYS until this guy bought so much. It was actually Bronkaid he was purchasing, but he was cleaning out every store. 

A snipet from one article. "of Ontario, N.Y., was arrested by Rochester DEA agents for allegedly buying 406 Bronkaid caplets -- containing a total of over 29 grams of pseudoephedrine -- over a month's time."

He told the cops he was using it for hangovers.

Edited by Bubba Gump

43 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

That wasn't a problem in NYS until this guy bought so much. It was actually Bronkaid he was purchasing, but he was cleaning out every store. 

A snipet from one article. "of Ontario, N.Y., was arrested by Rochester DEA agents for allegedly buying 406 Bronkaid caplets -- containing a total of over 29 grams of pseudoephedrine -- over a month's time."

He told the cops he was using it for hangovers.

Based on your knowledge, do you think he was telling the truth?

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Yes, I knew he was. He had a decent full time machining job. I knew him very well.

He was buying it to make meth.  That's the reason pseudoephedrine is kept locked behind the counter.

No matter how well you know someone, you never really know them fully.  Even spouses. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.