[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

I'm an insurance underwriter and this is false. Exclusions only for street racing. No exclusions to standard iso policies for dui. Just a guy talking out of his arse.

A few states classify "street racing" by speed, not intention.

Would this qualify, or does insurance companies have different rules. 

7 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

He was .16 when they drew his blood two hours later in the hospital.  .16 is enough to induce blackouts.  

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/interrupted-memories-alcohol-induced-blackouts

And blackouts do not mean you can't continue to physically function (at least for awhile).  But you are severely drunk and you are no longer able to make clear rational decisions.  

Also, I didn't put this all on his girlfriend.  I questioned what role she played in allowing herself to be in a car with an extremely drunk individual.

Of course you did:

"why didn't his GF step in and at least attempt to stop him (not "her") from getting behind the wheel in that state?"

As for blackout. it is a phenomenon of temporary memory/recollection loss which is described as an inability to recall events that happened while drinking---ata a later time, such as the next day. You incorrectly descibed "blackout" drunk as being a "brain dead feral creature"  which is inaccurate and also does not describe (by any witness or offiical account) Ruggs's state after the accident.  Just as he was able to find his car, start it, drive it successfully out of the drinking venue for some distance before crashing, he easily could have chosen to call a driver.  He chose not to.  Alcohol influenced both choices, no doubt.  But he was still making choices.  He wasn't a brain dead animal at that point.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course you did:

"why didn't his GF step in and at least attempt to stop him (not "her") from getting behind the wheel in that state?"

As for blackout. it is a phenomenon of temporary memory/recollection loss which is described as an inability to recall events that happened while drinking---ata a later time, such as the next day. You incorrectly descibed "blackout" drunk as being a "brain dead feral creature"  which is inaccurate and also does not describe (by any witness or offiical account) Ruggs's state after the accident.  Just as he was able to find his car, start it, drive it successfully out of the drinking venue for some distance before crashing, he easily could have chosen to call a driver.  He chose not to.  Alcohol influenced both choices, no doubt.  But he was still making choices.  He wasn't a brain dead animal at that point.

Sounds like he is/has been a heavy drinker for awhile. Some regular Joe social drinker falls off the stool way before pounding 18 drinks. He knew he was lit, but he thought, no problem, do it all the time. JMO. I think he was prolly in what they call a "brownout". What happens just before you blackout.

The thing I can’t  wrap my head around is how you can get any car up to 156 mph on a city surface street.  So many obstacles. Lights, stop signs, cameras, parked cars, traffic, animals, curves, etc.  It’s insanely dangerous.  It’s literally suicidal. And now they let someone with so little regard for others lives (including his passenger) out on 150k bail.  Cripes that’s pocket change for a number 1 draft pick.  

Edited by wjag

19 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Sounds like he is/has been a heavy drinker for awhile. Some regular Joe social drinker falls off the stool way before pounding 18 drinks. He knew he was lit, but he thought, no problem, do it all the time. JMO. I think he was prolly in what they call a "brownout". What happens just before you blackout.

7-8 drinks gets a 200 lb guy to about .15

A brownout is what he had in his pants when they cuffed him.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 11/3/2021 at 11:14 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Emo and remorseful Derek Carr wishing there was something he could have done to prevent this

https://www.tmz.com/videos/2021-11-03-110321-derek-carr-1297615/

"Did I not let him know that I would be there for him at 3 am?"

I have to say that video with the raw emotion and regret in it (for something he had no personal part in) makes me think better of Derek Carr as a person and as a leader.

the waterworks are always ready to flow with Carr...

image.png.1a784852cc7f75646186bd4a69b0939c.png

Mark Davis is pretty broken up too:

image.png.c600f115e68055a4c000614e0cf1cdb0.png

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Vomit 1

31 minutes ago, wjag said:

The thing I can’t  wrap my head around is how you can get any car up to 156 mph on a city surface street.  So many obstacles. Lights, stop signs, cameras, parked cars, traffic, animals, curves, etc.  It’s insanely dangerous.  It’s literally suicidal. And now they let someone with so little regard for others lives (including his passenger) out on 150k bail.  Cripes that’s pocket change for a number 1 draft pick.  

I was reading about this because I had the same thought. 150k is more than enough for him to show up in court and the 4th amendment basically protects Ruggs from "Unreasonable seizures".  

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I was reading about this because I had the same thought. 150k is more than enough for him to show up in court and the 4th amendment basically protects Ruggs from "Unreasonable seizures".  

bail isn't a seizure, it's collateral.  

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Just passing along what I'd read. I am not a lawyer 

If bail is denied, isn't that an unreasonable seizure of one's freedom? 

Bail is an enticement to show up to court.  A deposit that literally "buys" you your freedom.   

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course you did:

You ever experienced being blacked out? A number of times, when I was in my early 20's I would get so wasted and wake up in my bed not remembering leaving the place I was drinking at. Car would usually be parked a little crooked but never any dings. I was blessed to never have gotten into an accident while driving blacked out. Hearing people talk about my actions while blacked out is me basically doing things instinctively. I know Buffalo roads like the back of my hand so I could easily still make my way home wasted. If I was out of town trying to go back to a hotel I woulda probably eneded up somewhere crazy or pulled a Chad Kelly (who clearly was blacked out when he entered a strangers home and sat down on their couch next to a resident)

I say all that to say you actually aren't able to make any sort of thoughtful decision while blacked out. And thats why you need to make the smart and responsible decision to not get blacked out in the first place...then you don't gotta worry about it. That's why their is absolutely no excuse for this sort of thing. Their was always a point where you were within the legal limit and you decided to keep drinking until you become so trashed you lose awareness of the decisions you make. Glad I grew up in time before anything bad happened that would have potentially ruined my entire future or the future of others.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

bail isn't a seizure, it's collateral.  

Agreed.  But he is accused of a felony.  Taking someone's life in an extremely reckless manner.  I would have thought bail would have been set much higher.  It's insulting to the Tintor family to know he could do this and only require the equivalent of a game check to get out of jail on bond.

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

You ever experienced being blacked out? A number of times, when I was in my early 20's I would get so wasted and wake up in my bed not remembering leaving the place I was drinking at. Car would usually be parked a little crooked but never any dings. I was blessed to never have gotten into an accident while driving blacked out. Hearing people talk about my actions while blacked out is me basically doing things instinctively. I know Buffalo roads like the back of my hand so I could easily still make my way home wasted. If I was out of town trying to go back to a hotel I woulda probably eneded up somewhere crazy or pulled a Chad Kelly (who clearly was blacked out when he entered a strangers home and sat down on their couch next to a resident)

I say all that to say you actually aren't able to make any sort of thoughtful decision while blacked out. And thats why you need to make the smart and responsible decision to not get blacked out in the first place...then you don't gotta worry about it. That's why their is absolutely no excuse for this sort of thing. Their was always a point where you were within the legal limit and you decided to keep drinking until you become so trashed you lose awareness of the decisions you make. Glad I grew up in time before anything bad happened that would have potentially ruined my entire future or the future of others.

a blackout is experienced in retrospect.  you don't walk around "blacked out".  It's a later failure to recall events that happened while previously intoxicated.

No one is arguing that his judgement was not impaired.   But every drunk settling up his tab at the bar and heading for his car has the ability to call a cab.  They simply feel they don't need one.  It's not that they are "too blacked out" to even  consider a ride service.

5 minutes ago, wjag said:

Agreed.  But he is accused of a felony.  Taking someone's life in an extremely reckless manner.  I would have thought bail would have been set much higher.  It's insulting to the Tintor family to know he could do this and only require the equivalent of a game check to get out of jail on bond.

DA wanted a million.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He said something after Gruden was fired/resigned to the effect of "love the person, hate the sin". Hence his comments about still wanting to be there for Ruggs

I may not fully agree with it, but I respect Carr's consistency 

Carr has been consistent, and I understand it from the standpoint of his faith. I’m also not big on him talking about love and saying, “if no one else will do it, I will”. I have no problem with Carr, he actually seems like a great dude, but that sort of thing just isn’t my style. I have a greater appreciation for a more humble style of exercising ones faith/principals. It comes as a statement proclaiming his excellent morality. I’m sure he didn’t mean it that way, and I like Carr, but that’s just not my preferred style. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

a blackout is experienced in retrospect.  you don't walk around "blacked out".  It's a later failure to recall events that happened while previously intoxicated.

No one is arguing that his judgement was not impaired.   But every drunk settling up his tab at the bar and heading for his car has the ability to call a cab.  They simply feel they don't need one.  It's not that they are "too blacked out" to even  consider a ride service.

DA wanted a million.

If I learned one thing from college, it’s the fact that no one actually understands what a “blackout” really is. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

The Brownout is never fun to clean up after:cry:

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Tell us about the Brownouts please...

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course you did:

Obviously, the overwhelming responsibility for the act rests on Ruggs' shoulders.  I said in earlier posts that he should go to jail for 10 years minimum.  I have lost family members to drunk drivers and have no sympathy for the guy given his actions.  I never once tried to blame the whole thing on his girlfriend.  I merely raised the question as to her culpability in allowing him to drive in his clearly, seriously drunken state (.16 at blood draw, likely .19-.20 when he got behind the wheel - https://super.stanford.edu/alcohol-drug-info/buzz-buzz/what-bac; and you can play semantics games with me all you want, but all literature points to an individual in that state having severely impaired judgement and being a potential danger to themselves and others).  I ask that question because an innocent person was senselessly killed.  The mere fact that Ruggs' partner was in the car at the time of the accident begs the question of "why", especially since I think we all agree, or at least I hope we do, that we would not let a friend or family member behind the wheel of a car in that state.  In my mind that leaves just a few possibilities: (a) she was either mentally or physically intimidated by Ruggs such that she feared for her physical (or financial) safety if she interfered/disagreed with him; (b) she herself was too drunk to intervene or understand the severity of the situation; or (c) she just DGAF.  

Anyhow, I find it odd that some of you find the fact of raising that question so offensive. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.