[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

30 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This does put the situation in a different light. 157 mph? Loaded gun? 

It seems almost suicidal in addition to being criminal imo.

A little note that the loaded gun in the car doesn't have the same significance in Nevada as it would in NYS, assuming it is a handgun and not a long weapon:

Can I drive without my guns being visible in Nevada?

Anyone carrying a concealed gun in a car needs a current and valid permit for carrying concealed weapons (CCW). But people do not need a concealed carry permit to keep their loaded handguns out of plain view somewhere in the car, such as the glove box, trunk, center console, cup holder, under the seat, or under a blanket on the backseat or passenger seat.

If the gun is hidden in a purse, backpack, bag, or piece of luggage, a person does not need a CCW permit to keep it in the car. But if the person carries the purse, etc., then a CCW permit is required. Under Nevada law, a car is not considered an extension of the home like it is in some other states.

So depending upon the ownership details and location of the loaded handgun (in a glove box or console or in a bag vs. on his person), it is probably legal.

Of course as with Texas, Nevada may have a "gotcha" law where a legal gun becomes illegal if you're committing a felony while you possess it.

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What is there to question about the blood test? Do you mean he’ll question the results if it shows Ruggs was intoxicated or impaired?

Id be surprised if this even goes to trial. The evidence is overwhelming. This has plea deal written all over it. Then the civil suits will start.

Come on.

Get an army of lawyers and pick at everything you can find. ask OJ about that.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

You claim there are flaws with the test. Chain of custody etc. Problem with warrant etc.  

@Rochesterfan and @Bangarang know what they're talking about.  It's possible the LVPD goofed, but typically big PDs have a pretty cut-and-dried setup for chain of custody, legally admissible calibrated tests, and obtaining a warrant, and then there are the lab results from the hospital's own tests which will not meet legal standards on their own but will corroborate.

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Come on.

Get an army of lawyers and pick at everything you can find. ask OJ about that.

Come on? This isn’t a case with circumstantial evidence where a defense lawyer has enough holes to create reasonable doubt. 

The evidence in this case is overwhelmingly bad for Ruggs. I assume his main focus is going to be working on a plea.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I'm not saying it will work but that's one of the moves. At this point it would seem he wants nothing to do with a trial so it's just getting the shortest sentence possible.

Questioning any of those things is an unrealistic move here.

But I agree that the goal would be to avoid trial and focus on getting the best plea.

Edited by Bangarang

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m not arguing anything, just pointing out how the viewpoint has changed over the decades. I remember as a kid seeing cops pull people over and follow someone home for the last couple blocks while they tried not to drive up onto the grass. My GF’s dad and his buddy picked us up from the movies with “roadies” and it was like we were in a luge bouncing off the snow banks on either side. 

The times are very different, and much safer. It’s come a LONG way! 

I think people started waking up and realized that bodies were exponentially piling up.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think people started waking up and realized that bodies were exponentially piling up.

True. I think the stuff that used to be allowed to slide was bumping the neighbor’s mailbox on the way back from happy hour. It’s all wrong, but there are degrees. If bumping the mailbox is Lake Erie, Ruggs doing 157 mph with double the legal BAC is the Pacific Ocean. I wish I was surprised by these extremes, but it is just FAR too common to illicit the shock that it should. Horrific tragedy. It’s hard to fathom the grief of a life lost so unexpectedly. 

6 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I thought I read it somewhere but maybe misunderstood.  Was the driver of the Toyota over the legal limit as well?   If so, does that change anything?

Hope we're not blaming the victim here.  Before throwing this out there you should have some proof.  With 156mph, no sympathy for Ruggs now

Edited by MarkyMannn

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I thought I read it somewhere but maybe misunderstood.  Was the driver of the Toyota over the legal limit as well?   If so, does that change anything?

I knew someone who killed a guy in a DUI accident. The other guy was over the limit too (it was St Patricks Day.) It made no difference since the guy who died was not on the wrong side of the divided highway. I think the same thing would apply here. 

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts are with the family of the poor woman who died and hope that Ruggs’ girlfriend pulls through from her injuries - his poor child if she passes and he is in prison for goodness knows how long. One decision can change a life - and end at least one too. 🙁

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not just getting behind the wheel drunk (sorry was at Top Golf and will know exactly what the bar tab was and may have been elsewhere too).

People make bad decisions, he compounded it by speeding and driving recklessly too.

Yep many may have driven 1-2 Kms (or miles) to a house/bar and had drinks.  95% I hope when returning home obey all signs, lights and drive the speed limit.

SMH Speeding...yeah speeding is going 15 above the speed limit and you get clocked and a ticket.....156 MPH is reckless driving on its own off of a race track correct? I mean he wasnt on the autobon sp* fcol. Reading that just made me mad...pedal to the metal Fool SMH.....

grrrrrrrrr

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

where did I state it made a difference to the punishment. I specifically stated that he will and should be punished. My whole point, which you are for some reason disregarding, was to reject the statement that he was a "piece of ****" when we don't know jack-diddly about the dude. He was 100% wrong when he got behind the wheel after drinking, he was 100% wrong when he decided to speed .. and the dude will pay for it as will his family and the family of the victim. 

As for it's "pretty easy to assume" .. it is but an assumption of course is not fact. Just a guess on your part.

1 hour ago, IBTG81 said:

Just saw. He was traveling at 156mph. Wow. 

He's a complete POS.  Not guessing.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.