Bills after long rest past 3 years

Giuseppe Tognarelli

I've seen and heard some speculation today that the Bills are developing a habit of not being at their best after long rest. Do you think these results support this idea? I've included season openers here because I think it's a similar dynamic (although it's an extra-long layover, obviously).

Week 1: Bills trail Jets 16-3 going into 4th quarter, win 17-16.
After bye: Bills trail 0-5 Dolphins 14-9 at home at halftime, score 22 points in 4th quarter to win.
After mini-bye after Thursday game: Bills lose at home to Ravens, who were favored.

Week 1: This was a good opener. Bills led Jets 21-3 at halftime and won 27-17.
After bye: Bills sluggish, one-score game late against 3-7 Chargers at home, end up winning 27-17. Very similar feeling to Sunday's game.

Week 1: Bills lay egg in home opener vs. Steelers.
After bye: Bills sluggish, fortunate to be tied 3-3 with 1-6 Dolphins at halftime, go on to win.

Ultimately, the Bills are 5-2 in these situations, but most of the games against inferior competition have been more of a struggle than most analysts and fans were expecting. It seems like the Bills do better when the blood has been flowing for a while.

Does this cause any concern if the Bills get the #1 seed and get that extra bye? Does history suggest that this would be an advantage for the Bills? Maybe the fact that it's playoffs would change the dynamic?

I hope for thoughtful replies to this topic.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I've seen and heard some speculation today that the Bills are developing a habit of not being at their best after long rest. Do you think these results support this idea? I've included season openers here because I think it's a similar dynamic (although it's an extra-long layover, obviously).

After bye: Bills trail 0-5 Dolphins 14-9 at home at halftime, score 22 points in 4th quarter to win.
After mini-bye after Thursday game: Bills lose at home to Ravens, who were favored.

After bye: Bills sluggish, one-score game late against 3-7 Chargers at home, end up winning 27-17. Very similar feeling to Sunday's game.

After bye: Bills sluggish, fortunate to be tied 3-3 with 1-6 Dolphins at halftime, go on to win.

Ultimately, the Bills are 5-2 in these situations, but most of the games against inferior competition have been more of a struggle than most analysts and fans were expecting. It seems like the Bills do better when the blood has been flowing for a while.

Does this cause any concern if the Bills get the #1 seed and get that extra bye? Does history suggest that this would be an advantage for the Bills? Maybe the fact that it's playoffs would change the dynamic?

Definitely want them to get the #1 seed. They can use that extra week off to get healthy as you know some players will be hurting. Two playoff games in OP I like the Bills chances.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

We went on like a 9 game winning streak after the bye last year.  The Chargers after losing to the Bills won 4 out of their last 5.

They Bills are undefeated coming off the bye under McDermott.  I do get your point of the them being flat in general.  Not sure I consider opening week coming off long rest, I mean I get it, they have not played in 6 months but all teams are equally coming to the table in the same situation.   Bye weeks are different.  You could also consider coming off Thursday games which is not as significant...

This is another reason I would worry about this team coming off the bye as the #1 seed in the playoffs, same reason we've seen other big upsets in the divisional round in the past and also why some teams have played like crap in the SB and lost big after sitting two weeks after the conference championship games.

With that said, in regards to the playoffs I still think this team needs to ensure homefield throughout for the best chance to get to the SB this year.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Per the bold, no concern at all. The week off for the number one seed isn’t “time” off like the bye week. Players stay in town,  get to the facility each day, rehab, etc. It’s a work week and focus is sharpened. 

23 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

When you make a list suggesting they're sluggish coming off a break, maybe they shouldn't be 5-2 on said list.

I think I addressed that in the post with comments about sluggish play below expectations against inferior opponents. It's not really about the record here, because it seems like they could get in trouble with sluggish play against better opponents.

35 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

As long as we get that W.

The playoffs always change the dynamic. Teams play differently in the playoffs. I don't see being #1 seed as a problem. Much different than having a bye week especially this early in the season.

Edited by TBBills

I want the one seed but I would be lying if I said i wouldn’t be scared of a slow start like we have seen coming out of bye weeks recently.

Bills sort of started slow last year against the Colts without a bye week but o also thought that had more to do with just really bad special teams play and field position in the first half.

Theoretically as the #2 seed you should get to play some scrub #7 seed. But of course last year the AFC didn’t really work out that way but the NFC did when the Saints got to play a bad Bears team. AFC might not workout that way again this year either.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.