Jump to content

Privacy for Josh Allen and Bills' players


Inigo Montoya
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

When I see guys like this I just simply say hi, and leave them alone.  If they are in a social mood, they’ll let you know.

I live in a huge sprawling suburban area you don't take time to inspect every face to see who you might know or recognize.   Im sure there are a lot of pro athletes around in fact I know there are. My friend saw Trevor Hoffman Hall of Fame relief pitcher for the padres at my local starbucks.. I think knowing myelf I'd likely Turn myself opposite direction and march straight away. I dont want to embarrass myself. Im awed by celebs again I think its normal its with what level of class you respond. Social cues mates.

 

my friend said trevor was very chill thanked them for being fans.

Edited by Muppy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never bug Bills players when they are out in public as I live in Australia.

 

Just an observation on this though - if you’re a sports star you’re gonna get interviewed by lots of journalists and you’re going to have to provide answers to their mundane and repetitive questions - but it’s best not to say “the worst thing is having to answer inane and repetitive questions from unimaginative sports journalists”.  The loss of privacy thing is a good generic answer to give to a standard off the shelf interview question, probably a stock answer from a handling the media training course - it doesn’t necessarily mean the person who says it is actually bothered about it in a material way.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Muppy said:

 

I live in a huge sprawling suburban area you don't take time to inspect every face to see who you might know or recognize.   Im sure there are a lot of pro athletes around in fact I know there are. My friend saw Trevor Hoffman Hall of Fame relief pitcher for the padres at my local starbucks.. I think knowing myelf I'd likely Turn myself opposite direction and march straight away. I dont want to embarrass myself. Im awed by celebs again I think its normal its with what level of class you respond. Social cues mates.

 

my friend said trevor was very chill thanked them for being fans.


I hear you.  Sounds like CA for you.  The Tampa area isn’t that bad, but it is an area celebrities (sports) like to live in their off season.  About 3 mil. In total which includes three counties as it’s hard to know where one ends and the other starts.

 

I think if a person has common sense they know when a good time to say hi, and when to leave alone.  For example I wa in line behind Derrick Brooks when he was playing at CVS, and we were just standing there so said hi and asked how he was doing.  He is a god down here in Tampa, but was very friendly and when his turn I just said good luck Sunday, and we shook hands.  Stuff like that.  You don’t bother a guy when he is eating is an obvious one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not meaning to be disrespectful at all and i agree don't be ignorant if they are eating or he & his girl are out walking around just having a conversation enjoying some time be respectful & leave them alone just give a wave they are normal people too .

 

But i would say he has $258 million reasons to like or want to stay in B/Lo along with being "That Guy" & that comes with other responsibilities to those that buy the tickets and support those players every week . JMHO 

 

Although Jagger walked around Nashville after their concert here in town he did it in a hoodie & had on a mask so if you need to go incognito and make a game of it .

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:


I hear you.  Sounds like CA for you.  The Tampa area isn’t that bad, but it is an area celebrities (sports) like to live in their off season.  About 3 mil. In total which includes three counties as it’s hard to know where one ends and the other starts.

 

I think if a person has common sense they know when a good time to say hi, and when to leave alone.  For example I wa in line behind Derrick Brooks when he was playing at CVS, and we were just standing there so said hi and asked how he was doing.  He is a god down here in Tampa, but was very friendly and when his turn I just said good luck Sunday, and we shook hands.  Stuff like that.  You don’t bother a guy when he is eating is an obvious one.

standing in line at the post office is a no brainer haha....I was in my local USPS and this guy was in line and he was I mean Tall and Built.....I cant even recall how the subject of football came up but I made mention of being a Bills fan. He's like oh yeah I played DL for the Bills in the 90s....he was 2nd string Im gonna google and recall his name....One thing I remember is asking he about his impressions of playing in BFLO, I think his was a short stay an his attitude was more regarding the Business of the NFL itself. He didn't say much of anything about bills fanbase...I think that's kind of telling. Now Im gonna snoop around and figure out this guy name I just cant recall.

 

EDIT: Odell Haggins  DT

 

m

Edited by Muppy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in Tishomingo (Oklahoma) where Blake Shelton lives. Small town of about 3,200 and 99% of us who see him around town... at the local DQ or Dollar General, we don't bother him. 

 

But I get those who travel hours to come to Tish and would run into him (or Gwen) and wanting to take a photo. Sorta comes with the celeb status. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember Jordan saying this alot at the peak of his fame. Not comparing Allen to Jordan, but I would definitely get annoyed if you couldn't even get gas without someone snapping photos or saying hi etc. Unfortunately it is the price of fame. I can only imagine if the bills win the superbowl, it'd only get worse 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, klos63 said:

Yeah, I know that it happens, my question is who says it's part of the job description? It's because people can be really disrespectful and think because someone is well known that they are fair game. They're not.

 

You really felt you needed to search for instances of fans bugging celebs? HAHAHA

  Its funny you even had to ask. Popularity draws attention. Not everyone giving the attention cares what anyone else thinks.  

 

 We have a bigger problem in this country calling attention to people in public for their beliefs.

 

I would like to see how many Josh Allen fans could walk into store. See Allen, and make zero attemps to start up a conversation. Perhaps some of you guys living in Buffalo are accustomed enough seeing them in public for this to happen. I'm being honest when I tell you If the opportunity came to me here in my little town of Corry, Pa. I'm starting up a conversation. 

 

Josh Allen is the equivalent of Elvis to me...

 

 

Edited by Figster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No offense to the OP but do we really need to be "lectured" abut how to treat celebrities'?

 

Its called common sense and courtesy, writing a thread about it isn't going to have any real impact at all but i do appreciate the sentiment.  J Allen loves the celebrity status and what it provides beyond just money, look at what Bills fans did for Oishei Hospital.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No offense to the OP but do we really need to be "lectured" abut how to treat celebrities'?

 

Its called common sense and courtesy, writing a thread about it isn't going to have any real impact at all but i do appreciate the sentiment.  J Allen loves the celebrity status and what it provides beyond just money, look at what Bills fans did for Oishei Hospital.

I also appreciate what OP is trying to accomplish.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Signing an NFL contract comes with people knowing who you are. Some fans are more hyped about seeing their fav players out in public than other fans. Kids love to see NFL players. When I lived in CA Tony Zendejas kicked for the Rams and had Zendejas restaurant. Jerome Bettis and Jackie Slater were frequent visitors. They hung out with everybody else but that was back in the early 90's. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No offense to the OP but do we really need to be "lectured" abut how to treat celebrities'?

 

Its called common sense and courtesy, writing a thread about it isn't going to have any real impact at all but i do appreciate the sentiment.  J Allen loves the celebrity status and what it provides beyond just money, look at what Bills fans did for Oishei Hospital.

There is a million people in the area. 70k pack the stadiums on game day.  This thread has an audience of dozens. It has no chance of accomplishing much of anything, 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 11:31 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

I've seen two interviews now where Josh has stated that the thing he laments the most is the loss of his privacy when he goes out around town.  I know we are a celebrity driven culture, and compounding the issue for Josh is that he seems so down to earth that I think people feel comfortable just walking up to him to say hello and asking for a picture.

 

It would be nice if we as a fan base could make and effort to give Josh and other Bills players some space and privacy if you do happen to see some of them out in town eating dinner or shopping or at a movie.  I think in the Kelly era, Bills players were able to move around and do things and still have their privacy and that is something that they always appreciated and cited as one of the reasons playing in Buffalo was so enjoyable for them.  It would be nice if we could get back to that place again.

 

If you do see someone like Josh or Knox or Diggs out, try to give them some space.  Let's try to repay their dedication to our city with some personal space.  When you talk to other Bills fans bring this up and maybe we can make a small difference for the guys who play hard for us every week.  This board reaches all across Bill's Mafia, maybe we can start something here that will contribute to our players enjoying their time in Buffalo more and give them another reason to want to stay here.

 

 


 

This should be pinned.  Not here, but all over Western New York.

 

Inigo, great take.

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a selfie with George Wilson in an elevator in Phoenix in 2007 (?). 
He was cool when I asked him who he was. 
 

when I met golfer Padraig Harrington in an elevator in Amsterdam a few years back he wasn’t as kind. I asked him who he was … asked him how he played in the tournament…He told me just shot 80 and I was like ‘I’d kill to shoot 80!’ And he said ‘stick to hockey!’ (No idea how he knew I was Canadian!)

Edited by Bakin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bakin said:

I got a selfie with George Wilson in an elevator in Phoenix in 2007 (?). 
He was cool when I asked him who he was. 
 

when I met golfer Padraig Harrington in an elevator in Amsterdam a few years back he wasn’t as kind. He told me just shot 80 and I was like ‘I’d kill to shoot 80!’ And he said ‘stick to hockey!’ (No idea how he knew I was Canadian!)

From what I've heard/seen, most professional golfers are pricks because all they are trained to care about is themselves.

 

Everyone loves Phil on TV but apparently he is one of the worst players on tour and to fans in the stands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

From what I've heard/seen, most professional golfers are pricks because all they are trained to care about is themselves.

 

Everyone loves Phil on TV but apparently he is one of the worst players on tour and to fans in the stands.

I met Charley Hoffman in Phoenix too. He was a prick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bakin said:

I met Charley Hoffman in Phoenix too. He was a prick. 

I always laugh at the videos of these professional athletes getting upset when some snaps a picture of them or says something to them and then they start crying "not during my swing!" and have someone thrown out of the gallery.

 

PGA really needs a real life version of Happy Gilmore to make it interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...