Josh Allen 2022 season verdict... OC & DC let him down: 64.5% comp %, 51 TDs, 18 TOs, 97.9 Passer Rating, 313 YPG (offseason assessments page 46 on)

transplantbillsfan

12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Allen won’t win MVP, but does it really matter.  I just don’t see the fascination with power rankings, mvp, pro bowl, etc.  win the darn SB.  That is the only thing that matters.

Allen has had another excellent year, but as someone else stated, he’s not a robot.  Even franchise QB’s have good and bad days.  Remember Brady at his peak threw 4 INT’s against us when we won with Fitzy.  Brady had a bad day.  He’s still the GOAT.

There are bonuses for MVPs pro bowls etc

more than happy with Josh so far.   can he get better?  absolutely.    hes far and away better than anything we've had since Kelly.   to be the NFL MVP alot has to go right for a guy,  including the team around him,  schedule, etc.    Josh hasnt had it that easy this year imo.    O LIne has been kinda bad majority of the season,  ran into some terrible weather for a few games.    stuff like this matters.  Josh makes the people around him better tho and that makes him my MVP.

ill take 40+ TDs every time.  

get him a more consistent O Line,  he'll be MVP.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

Joe Burrow just threw for 900 yards and 8 TD’s in his last two games to win his division and beat the #1 seed. That’s how.

See above. Not sure if you saw.

And Allen last week had the guy whose regarded as the greatest defensive genius in the leagues history go without forcing him to punt in his own stadium 

I'll just point out that there are even respectable analysts who know the game of football firsthand who don't think Allen played poorly against Atlanta as @JoPoy88 and others do:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-why-bills-qb-josh-allens-stats-are-misleading-in-victory-against-falcons/article_c6731e04-6cf3-11ec-86d7-7334f7b742c1.amp.html

A look at Josh Allen’s statistics from Sunday’s victory against the Atlanta Falcons would suggest he played poorly, but the film review indicates this was not the case. 

Allen completed just 11 of 26 attempts (42.3% completion percentage) while throwing three interceptions and no touchdowns. Yet, his overall performance grade of 92.15% demonstrated that he protected the football with smart decisions despite his three interceptions and fell victim to circumstance on five plays that were out of his control.

Here, Allen was anticipating that Beasley would release past a second-level defender into the seam. The Bills were running seams by the inside receivers and hitches by the outside receivers. It appeared the Falcons had rotated into a 3-deep zone coverage and Beasley was going to be open in the seam following his release. That was what Allen was hoping for, but Beasley seemed to pull up and stop running his route. Unfortunately for Allen, he had already released the football. 

Here, Allen was anticipating that Beasley would release past a second-level defender into the seam. The Bills were running seams by the inside receivers and hitches by the outside receivers. It appeared the Falcons had rotated into a 3-deep zone coverage and Beasley was going to be open in the seam following his release. That was what Allen was hoping for, but Beasley seemed to pull up and stop running his route. Unfortunately for Allen, he had already released the football. 

The Bills rushed the football for 233 yards and dominated the time of possession an astounding 36:07 to 23:53 for the Falcons. It was a great game plan by Daboll to utilize Allen with quarterback crack sweeps and quarterback counter concepts. 

This was also a great example of how a quarterback’s statistics can be misleading. Allen really made only one poor decision in the game, his first interception. Beyond that, he was smart with the football.

His performance grade of 92.15% is an "A" in a playoff-clinching moment, even if his quarterback rating of 17.0 was the worst mark in his career. The video review revealed a tough and gritty performance from a franchise quarterback who values winning above all else, because in the end that is all that matters.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/4/2022 at 10:59 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

I'll just point out that there are even respectable analysts who know the game of football firsthand who don't think Allen played poorly against Atlanta as @JoPoy88 and others do:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-why-bills-qb-josh-allens-stats-are-misleading-in-victory-against-falcons/article_c6731e04-6cf3-11ec-86d7-7334f7b742c1.amp.html

A look at Josh Allen’s statistics from Sunday’s victory against the Atlanta Falcons would suggest he played poorly, but the film review indicates this was not the case. 

Allen completed just 11 of 26 attempts (42.3% completion percentage) while throwing three interceptions and no touchdowns. Yet, his overall performance grade of 92.15% demonstrated that he protected the football with smart decisions despite his three interceptions and fell victim to circumstance on five plays that were out of his control.

The Bills rushed the football for 233 yards and dominated the time of possession an astounding 36:07 to 23:53 for the Falcons. It was a great game plan by Daboll to utilize Allen with quarterback crack sweeps and quarterback counter concepts. 

This was also a great example of how a quarterback’s statistics can be misleading. Allen really made only one poor decision in the game, his first interception. Beyond that, he was smart with the football.

His performance grade of 92.15% is an "A" in a playoff-clinching moment, even if his quarterback rating of 17.0 was the worst mark in his career. The video review revealed a tough and gritty performance from a franchise quarterback who values winning above all else, because in the end that is all that matters.

I was out following the gamecast on the ESPN app and expected him to be much worse than he was when I actually got around to watching the game.  Quite a few drops and a good amount of bad luck.  Pretty questionable officiating on the second pick too.  Reminded me of the first pats game last season where the run game was humming so he didn’t get many passing attempts to make up for some tough breaks.  

On 1/4/2022 at 8:22 PM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/04/one-mvp-voter-says-he-wont-vote-for-aaron-rodgers-calling-him-the-biggest-jerk-in-the-league/

We argue about MVPs and Pro Bowls and Hall of Fames…all the while these actual decisions are controlled by folks with mental reasoning of Hub Arkush.

🤦‍♂️

I mentioned this exact scenario upthread...sportswriters are notoriously petty and hate when players lie to them, as Rodgers did with his whole "I'm inoculated" BS.  I am not at all surprised that writers are holding a grudge against him, though I am surprised that a writer was dumb enough to come out and say it.

Here is Hub's actual statement;

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player,” Arkush said. “Has he been the most valuable on the field? Yeah, you could make that argument, but I don’t think he is clearly that much more valuable than Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp or maybe even Tom Brady. So from where I sit, the rest of it is why he’s not gonna be my choice. Do I think he’s gonna win it? Probably. A lot of voters don’t approach it the way I do, but others do, who I’ve spoken to. But one of the ways we get to keep being voters is we’re not allowed to say who we are voting for until after the award has been announced. I’m probably pushing the envelope by saying who I’m not voting for. But we’re not really supposed to reveal our votes.”

Rodgers was asked about the comments and he called Hub Arkush "a bum" multiple times and then spouted off that he's on a crusade against him because he isn't vaccinated.  Said that they should rename the award the Most Valuable Vaccinated Player.  

On 1/3/2022 at 1:14 PM, FireChans said:

An honest argument like admitting recency bias? Like I’ve admitted in at least 2 posts exists, especially when it comes to MVP votes?

I wish Bills fans such as yourself could chime in on arguments when they understood them.

I think recency bias is an honest argument, just as I believe there are other honest arguments why Allen will not be in the running for the MVP. IMO, there is one primary reason Allen isn't in the running for MVP and that is the 0-5 record in close games.

If you look at the top 9 QBs this year, every one of them has at least 2 game winning drives - except Allen. Allen has 0 4th quarter comebacks and 0 GWD. Of 28 QBs with at least 11 starts, he is 1 of only 4 who do not have at least 1 GWD (Wentz, Mayfield, and Wilson being the others).

Compare that with what he did in his previous 3 years.

2086841350_GWD4QCB.thumb.jpg.6e613d711d8c05dc821b4120425bfc19.jpg

If Allen pulls out just two of them, Tenn and TB (where he was in a great position to do so), and, right now, he would have 2 4QC and 2 GWD, the Bills would have a 12-4 record, they would have won the AFC East, and own the #1 Seed. Even with the performance in the Atlanta game, I believe he would be in the running for MVP. 

But he didn't. I'm not saying that the failure to win those close games is all on Allen. What I am saying is that it is a legitimate argument to say that an MVP QB should be able to win some of those close games.

As I have stated before, I couldn't care less about the MVP award, I don't believe there is a player in the NFL that is more valuable to his team, I don't believe that there is a player that any team puts more pressure on to perform at a high level every game than Allen, and IMO, he is absolutely in the conversation about the best QB in the NFL. I love Allen and I wouldn't trade him for any QB.

I'm just offering what, IMO, is the best argument for why he is not in the discussion for MVP.

It will all be moot when he is holding up the Lombardi Trophy...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

1 of only 4 who do not have at least 1 GWD

This is a double edged sword 🗡 

a GWD indicates you were Losing to begin with. 

basically 0 GWD says that the team was in control for the most part. 

One could say 4 of the 6 losses were failed GWD by inches 

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

This is a double edged sword 🗡 

a GWD indicates you were Losing to begin with. 

basically 0 GWD says that the team was in control for the most part. 

One could say 4 of the 6 losses were failed GWD by inches 

Except that the were, in fact, losing (and did lose) in six of their games. I absolutely agree that 4 of the 6 losses were by inches. That was one of my points. The Tenn and Tampa games were literally inches from wins. Allen and the team get those and there is a completely different narrative surrounding Allen and the Bills right now.

For me, it is a double edged sword in how I feel going into the playoffs. On one hand, I feel they are much better than their record, as they probably should have won a couple of those close games. On the other hand, even though they probably should have won a couple, they didn't. For whatever reason, the have not had good luck this year in close games.

Regardless, I am still confident going into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

• transplantbillsfan changed the title to Josh Allen 2021 season proving doubters wrong 2nd seasonin a row: 63.3% comp %, 42 TDs, 18 TOs, 92.2 Passer Rating, 5170 total yards (Jets and season talk page 45 on)

Anyone who watches football from a distance (seems to be what a lot of talking heads do) will probably try to cling to a dropped completion percentage and more Turnovers... but those of us watching could see issues with weather, drops, and an offense and particularly an OL trying to find itself.

Feeling good going into the playoffs  :beer:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• transplantbillsfan changed the title to Josh Allen 2021 season proving doubters wrong 2nd season in a row: 63.3% comp %, 42 TDs, 18 TOs, 92.2 Passer Rating, 5170 total yards (Jets and season talk page 45 on)
1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Yesterday was much more impressive than people will give him credit for since his numbers were clearly affected by the weather. He had almost 6 times as many total yards personally than entire Jets team but no one is discussing how video game numbers that is 

This is Kelly/Marino all over again.  Marino put up numbers in Miami that would have been impossible in Buffalo's weather.  

This season was one of the worst wind/bad weather seasons that I can remember.  Also the O line was a mess for most of the season.  Josh's numbers on paper suffered but on the field he was great.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Yesterday was much more impressive than people will give him credit for since his numbers were clearly affected by the weather. He had almost 6 times as many total yards personally than entire Jets team but no one is discussing how video game numbers that is 

And what's amazing is how negatively the weather impacted almost every other skill position player on both teams with drops and bad kicks and Zack Wilson, but when you watch Allen throw the ball it really didn't look like there was impactful wind.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.