Trade deadline buzz

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Not that you'll need it, but good luck this weekend (I'm a Penn Stater), 4 weeks ago I was actually like PSU's chances here, now I'm just hoping to stay within 3 TDs and break the spread

------------

Regarding Cooks, Cooks and Beasley don't play the same position.

Cooks would take snaps from both Sanders and Diggs

i have watched a lot of big ten football this year— I lean Michigan, but like to see penn state do well. It is comical that teams like penn state, Michigan, MSU, and Iowa are ranked anywhere close to Ohio State. I don’t get it— but the talent disparity between OSU and rest of the Big Ten is dramatic.

I hate to say it, but I fully expect OSU to win by like 5 TD’s this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i have watched a lot of big ten football this year— I lean Michigan, but like to see penn state do well. It is comical that teams like penn state, Michigan, MSU, and Iowa are ranked anywhere close to Ohio State. I don’t get it— but the talent disparity between OSU and rest of the Big Ten is dramatic.

Eh, I think Franklin generally has the talent at PSU to give them a puncher's shot to beat OSU. His hamstring has been the QB - but when PSU had the QB they gave OSU everything they could handle and then some. Since 2016, it's only been 2019 and 2020 where there's been a considerable gap between the two programs, and in 2019 the defense played Fields and that O about as well as you could hope this side of Clemson/Bama. But the QB just wasn't there. 

If Clifford was healthy, and we didn't lose PJ Mustipher for the season, then PSU's defense would have been the best unit on the field. But I would have suspected OSU's homefield advantage, and Treyveon Henderson would have pulled it out in the end. 

But with Clifford so limited, and so many injuries on the DL- PSU will struggle to contain Henderson. With that said, PSU's pass coverage vs OSU's pass attack should be on of the match ups of the season - that's gonna be fun. 

But injuries happen, and OSU flat out has better depth, and that's why they have the better program. 

Just now, Baba Booey said:

was just listening to Pat Mac Afee, Jeremy Fowler said The Bills are a team to watch for the Kyle Fuller trade. Denver even willing to eat some of his salary to get rid of him.

Kyle Fuller is more of a man corner isn't he? Like we'd have to goto a Field vs Perimeter system? I'm not sure he'd be that much more effective playing off the ball than our current non Tre corners. 

32 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Osu and PSU *always* play close games. Plus, rain 🥺

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills only had 2 wins against teams with winning records in all of 2017 so that's no place to plant your flag.

It's about the style they were able to play early in the season knowing that they had a first line of defense.   Cover 1 had excellent analysis on it.  They were only 4-2 thru 6 weeks but they could also have easily been 6-0 with that defense.   Two close losses.

They weren't the same defense after the Dareus trade.  Fact.

Dareus was a really talented player and made a very significant impact in Jacksonville.....worst run defense to first run defense..........and they actually had a lead in the 4th quarter of the AFCCG against the Pats.   He was tremendous in the playoffs.    

To imply that trading Dareus was the taking off point for the McDermott regime is laughable nonsense.......which is what I was replying to in this thread.

I didn't see anyone saying that trading Dareus was when things changed: it was a continuation of what they had done prior to the start of the season, i.e. purging the roster of players who weren't process people.  I think they also wanted to get rid of Dareus prior to the season but didn't find any takers for him until the Jags came calling.  So they dealt him and didn't look back.  Sure it might have hurt the defense but the idea was a better team going forward.  And the results since speak for themselves.

Edited by Doc

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes. Knox credited Engram with helping him develop, as he didn’t play TE prior to  college.

Yolo what’s your opinion on possibly trading for Engram. I’ve heard a round 5 pick could be the asking price. Would NY take a 2023 5th? 

I think with the Knox situation you gotta give him time. If the Bills could gain a guy like Engram to fill the gap, potentially help the red zone offense and just provide another dimension to the offense I think it would be worth the pick (even if it a 2022 5th) knowing this team needs to go for a title….

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Yolo what’s your opinion on possibly trading for Engram. I’ve heard a round 5 pick could be the asking price. Would NY take a 2023 5th? 

I think with the Knox situation you gotta give him time. If the Bills could gain a guy like Engram to fill the gap, potentially help the red zone offense and just provide another dimension to the offense I think it would be worth the pick (even if it a 2022 5th) knowing this team needs to go for a title….

I actually wouldn’t mind adding engram for a 5th but I think Knox might be back sooner than later.

8 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I dunno, when a guy shows up at practice like this 10 days post break and 9 days post-surgery, it doesn't shout "give him time"

image.thumb.png.1c1b5ac99daf04ab35609969f8d22acb.png

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno, when a guy shows up at practice like this 10 days post break and 9 days post-surgery, it doesn't shout "give him time"

I mean to be fair the only thing his injury restricts is using his hand, it's not exactly going to stop him from running around at practice, hell he could probably keep practicing his routes just without the catching a football part.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean to be fair the only thing his injury restricts is using his hand, it's not exactly going to stop him from running around at practice, hell he could probably keep practicing his routes just without the catching a football part.

A point is that if there were concern that a casual trip or fall or a guy slamming into him accidentally or some ill-judged horseplay would cause a setback to fracture healing, they would send him out there with a splint on that hand, at least.  The fact that they're letting him be out there with just a light surgical dressing on the back of the hand says there's a lot of confidence in the stability of those fractures and the surgical repair. 

Evidently allowing him to maintain flexibility by being able to use the hand naturally without putting stress on it (there's another clip of him handling a football with the injured hand on the Twitters) is considered more important than protecting the hand by the sports training staff.

That's what has me saying he doesn't look like a guy who'll be out for long.

Or our training staff could just be "living on the edge" but I don't think so.

• Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Estro said:

I dont think WR is something that will be addressed at this deadline, but long term we do need a young infusion with an emphasis on speed/quicks. A player with a skill set like Rondale Moore, with serious YAC skills would take this offense to another level, IMO

I really wish we were in a position to go get Kadarius Toney this past year. Our DEs were old, and talent seriously depleted so not an option. But I think a guy like that would be the biggest difference maker we could add after DE

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Banged Up Bills speculated even before this practice footage that he may only miss one game. I’m optimistic he’s back before the initial 3 week timeline. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Banged Up Bills speculated even before this practice footage that he may only miss one game. I’m optimistic he’s back before the initial 3 week timeline. 

So with the bye, the 2nd game would be just short of the 3 week timeline.  But of course that would mean, he starts practicing after 2 weeks.  I don't know, that sort of seems like "more haste, less speed" to me, but I suppose it depends upon whether they can fashion some kind of brace or support for him and whether or not it interferes with his playing abilities.

Might also depend upon how Sweeney looks.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He’s also on the OL… he also will be asked to catch ball from a QB that puts heat on the ball. He’ll be in piles…. You ever go to block or tackle in a game and you hand gets smashed? Buying time is just insurance, but in the meantime you add a whole other dimension with possibly Knox and Engram together.

Im sure the Bills want home field advantage. IMO when chasing a potential championship and your TE requires hand surgery…. I think it may be worth a 5th if that’s the going price. I see Knox back week 11 vs Indy, but I also bet he won’t be a huge part of the game plan for risk reasons.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

I didn't see anyone saying that trading Dareus was when things changed: 

Yes, they did.......and you would have noticed that if you had read the post I was responding to........which was quoted right above what I wrote.......much like this your post right above this.   

It's not that complicated.   But I have a group of folks who like to follow my posts around and just respond to them out of context so I'm used to it.  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So with the bye, the 2nd game would be just short of the 3 week timeline.  But of course that would mean, he starts practicing after 2 weeks.  I don't know, that sort of seems like "more haste, less speed" to me, but I suppose it depends upon whether they can fashion some kind of brace or support for him and whether or not it interferes with his playing abilities.

Might also depend upon how Sweeney looks.

We play the Dolphins, jags and Jets the next couple weeks. Rest him as long as needed. Gave Davis can fill that role 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

We play the Dolphins, jags and Jets the next couple weeks. Rest him as long as needed. Gave Davis can fill that role 

Yeah I see it as an opportunity to see what they can do without Knox.    They are razor thin at TE so it would be nice to be prepared if he gets hurt again and is unavailable in the postseason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.