Gamepass and Coaches' Film - is this a downgrade or am I missing something?

Hapless Bills Fan

Yea!  Gamepass now has the All-22 again.

But..... used to be that it would bring up a list of time, down and distance on the R side of the screen, and you could select the play you wanted to watch.  Then it would show the sideline view and the endzone view, one after the other.

Now it seems like you have to pick either sideline OR endzone at the beginning, there is no way to toggle between the two during the game, and you can't go to a specific play, either.

Is this just how it is now, or am I missing something?  Because from where I sit now, significant features have been lost (unless I'm just missing them)

It's become ponderous and difficult to do things that used to be simple and straightforward 😠

Help?

Edit:  OK, I've figured a few things out.

If I watch full-screen, there is no way to toggle.  If I watch in a tiny postage-stamp area of a screen cluttered with NFL blurf, I can toggle between sideline, endzone, and broadcast but, I can't figure out a good way to neatly go back and watch the same play from a different angle.

(Not to mention that the postage stamp is damned hard to see any detail)

Have not found a feature that allows one to list and choose plays.

• Angry 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But..... used to be that it would bring up a list of time, down and distance on the R side of the screen, and you could select the play you wanted to watch.  Then it would show the sideline view and the endzone view, one after the other.

Now it seems like you have to pick either sideline OR endzone at the beginning, there is no way to toggle between the two during the game, and you can't go to a specific play, either.

Is this just how it is now, or am I missing something?  Because from where I sit now, significant features have been lost (unless I'm just missing them)

It's become ponderous and difficult to do things that used to be simple and straightforward 😠

Help?

If I watch full-screen, there is no way to toggle.  If I watch in a tiny postage-stamp area of a screen cluttered with NFL blurf, I can toggle between sideline, endzone, and broadcast but, I can't figure out a good way to neatly go back and watch the same play from a different angle.

Do you have two monitors? Can you maybe just open one in each? 

Sounds like a downgrade but that might be a solution. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Gamepass this year seems like they got cajoled into some "redesign" by a subpar agency who really, really ***** the bed. It's obvious zero research went into it.

In other words, you can't find any of those features either and it sucks for you too?

I wonder if I could tell them I've moved to Stuttgart and switch to the international version, if it's still good.  With VPN, I could be anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Do you have two monitors? Can you maybe just open one in each? 

Sounds like a downgrade but that might be a solution. 

Thanks for the thought

I do not have two monitors, although I have a very very WIDE one that can support two reasonable-size windows.  But that still leaves the problem of how to choose specific plays.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Money.  Money talks and they want YOU you pay at some point to be able to do what you did before!!!  GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!  DAMMIT!!!

Maybe, but I think NickelCity has it more right.  They wanted to integrate GamePass more fully into the NFL.com website, so using Gamepass would be generating clicks for the NFL.com Shopping and Advertisements and all the other schtuff on that website.  And they just did a poor job.

I paid for what I did before.  A healthy sum, IMO.

I'm hella busy right now, but I expect in the next week or two when I have time I'll try to talk to a human and express my concerns about the downgrade and see what their plans are and what they'll do for me. (give me an International subscription, give me a refund, whateve).  If the answer is "nothing" I may dispute the charge with my credit card company on the basis of not receiving the product I expected when I allowed it to renew.

I think someone mentioned all-22 being available from a different source - Youtube or something?  Anyone know about that?

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Gamepass this year seems like they got cajoled into some "redesign" by a subpar agency who really, really ***** the bed. It's obvious zero research went into it.

8 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Money.  Money talks and they want YOU you pay at some point to be able to do what you did before!!!  GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!  DAMMIT!!!

4 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Game Pass gets worse every year. The full game replays now include the commercials & half time show. I am required to sign into the game pass section of the NFL app via a code number EVERY single time I access game pass

Sounds like Madden! 🤣

27 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Game Pass gets worse every year. The full game replays now include the commercials & half time show. I am required to sign into the game pass section of the NFL app via a code number EVERY single time I access game pass

Yeah, that sucks.  Sometimes I would like to watch the full game replay to get a better feel for the game, but not anymore.  Strictly the condensed games now.

I can't complain too much as I get it free with my season tickets.  But if I paid for it I would be pissed.

For all the reasons mentioned thus far, GamePass is considerably worse.  There have been so many downgrades I am not inclined to believe it was accidental.  I am going to try to lodge a complaint for all the good it will do.  The inclusion of all the commercials and halftime in the full game replay is particularly annoying and was no doubt intentional to assuage the tv networks.  The All 22 is no virtually unusable and I suspect this is to reserve full access to this capability for media outlets willing to pay for it.  

1 hour ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Well sad to know it is not only me - additionally I have to authenticate the same device every week (generally watch through Apple TV with projection) 

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Help?

It's not an issue in International Game Pass. Same as last year. There's an icon at the bottom left that when clicked allows me to see the list of plays and play whichever one I want. And I get both views of every play automatically.

Good luck to you folks.

I've been struggling through the same issues already discussed. This the second thread on this subject from @Hapless Bills Fan and I recall a question about  cancelation or refund. I'm not very internet savvy but if there is a way of getting out this, I'd be happy to know. 

I feel they should have given some sort of notice, of the downgrade, before their annual automatic debit from my credit card.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, flaz said:

I've been struggling through the same issues already discussed. This the second thread on this subject from @Hapless Bills Fan and I recall a question about  cancelation or refund. I'm not very internet savvy but if there is a way of getting out this, I'd be happy to know. 

I feel they should have given some sort of notice, of the downgrade, before their annual automatic debit from my credit card.

That's exactly where I am.

I'm currently way overloaded and paddling to keep my nose above water, but in the next weeks when I have more time, I want to try to talk to someone there or find a contact address to complain, and I'll share what I learn.

• Like (+1) 1

https://defector.com/why-does-nfl-game-pass-barely-function-now/

relevant to your discussion but defector has a paywall. For those who subscribe however the author goes into the multitude of ways the NFL has borked game pass.

Note one workaround discussed in the article: A few media people interviewed for the story have said using a VPN to access the international version of gamepass helps a lot. Apparently the int’l version is much closer to the old US version.

6 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Is the All 22 just available on PC? Because I am a game pass member and use the tv app and don’t see that option for coaches film.

I believe that is correct.  Been looking for All22 through the app on Apple TV and it’s nowhere to be found.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's exactly where I am.

I'm currently way overloaded and paddling to keep my nose above water, but in the next weeks when I have more time, I want to try to talk to someone there or find a contact address to complain, and I'll share what I learn.

Good luck!  I tried reaching them and I had to submit a ticket, and when they finally respond via email they tell you you reached international and give you a link to submit another request.  Well you fill that out and eventually get the same response.  You get caught in that loop ad nauseum.  There is no way I found to contact support via phone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

https://defector.com/why-does-nfl-game-pass-barely-function-now/

relevant to your discussion but defector has a paywall. For those who subscribe however the author goes into the multitude of ways the NFL has borked game pass.

Note one workaround discussed in the article: A few media people interviewed for the story have said using a VPN to access the international version of gamepass helps a lot. Apparently the int’l version is much closer to the old US version.

Any chance we could get you to share a "fair use" or "transformative" selection of quotes?

It's still 2.5 hrs to game time, after all, a guy has to keep himself busy somehow...

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Yes, those features have been missing for me as well.

I suppose my point was that the entire app/web ecosystems seems *****. 

...and it has been that way since August!!!!

I watch GP every day when I treadmill. Starting in mid July , the site was offline completely for nearly two months. They just put up a message that they were getting ready for the upcoming season. BS or they hired high school kids to program the "new" site. (Which by the looks of it - that is exactly what they did) ;-).

So unprofessional. 

ooooops - sorry for the rant.

Edited by cd1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any chance we could get you to share a "fair use" or "transformative" selection of quotes?

It's still 2.5 hrs to game time, after all, a guy has to keep himself busy somehow...

But over the summer, Game Pass removed the All-22 film from the site as part of a big redesign. The All-22 didn’t come back until Week 3 of this season and the updates to the interface are so bad that three NFL analysts that I talked to for this story said they are using VPNs to access the international version of Game Pass, which is better-designed and never dropped the All-22.

Another NFL writer found a different workaround, but would not disclose his new arrangement for acquiring film; perhaps he’s afraid of the NFL closing that loophole, or perhaps he wants to keep his competitive edge over other tape-eaters. That writer, who asked that he not be named to protect his methods, also said that there’s now a secret society of film-heads who are using the international version of Game Pass, then Quicktime screen-recording the All-22 film of a full game, and then sharing those files with each other, so that they have an easier way to play back the All-22 film without having to fight the new Game Pass interface. 

The 2021 edition of Game Pass removed that entire sidebar, and instead of a searchable list right next to the video, there is a drive-by-drive list underneath the film. Now, you have to click the drop down arrow next to each drive to see the plays in that drive, and then you can search for a name or a result by control-F searching the page. The 2021 version does not play the two views side-by-side; you have to pick one or the other. It also seems to be loading slower and playing fuzzier, and when you hit play, the grayed-out play bar remains over the play for a few seconds, making it hard to see what is going on. The play bar used to be on the bottom of the screen and now it’s dead center, right on top of all the action. And the archive of All-22 tape from seasons past is gone. 

The Game Pass developers took lots of notes, and the sense from reporters in the meeting was that the Game Pass crew genuinely had no idea how reporters and analysts were actually using the product. They had been so focused on integrating NFL Game Pass into NFL.com, that they hadn’t known a section of the audience needed some of the old features. This was all news to them, and the changes will likely take some time to take effect. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

lol yes i will do that sorry i didn’t see the reply in time before the Bills started. I’ll parse it out for anyone interested.

edit: caveman got the good parts above

Edited by JoPoy88

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.