Pass Blocking Grades

LabattBlue

Disclaimer…I don’t ever rewatch the games, or the all-22 thing. 

That being said, is the OL doing a good job of pass blocking(which is supposed to be better than their running game skills)? Is Allen holding the ball too long, or are they not giving him the time needed to throw from the pocket without him taking evasive action?

What kind of grades are the OL getting from the advanced stats sites?

Edited by BTB

The answer is a real mixed bag. 

Week 1 we struggled across the board except, oddly, Cody Ford who most thought going in was the weak link who probably would have graded out at about average. We especially struggled at both tackle spots. The line was dismal that day and the main reason the offense struggled. 

Week 2 Daryl Williams had another rough day at right tackle, but Dawkins bounced back to form and the interior was serviceable. 

Week 3 the line played better, Daryl Williams was excellent but Ford really struggled against Payne. 

By PFF grading at the moment none of them grade better than average and it goes 1. Dawkins, 2. Feliciano, 3. Morse, 4. Williams and 5. Ford. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know about the advanced analytics, but my eyes told me that they played great against those studs on the WFT D line. Josh didn't get sacked once. He got flushed to his right a few times, but that's usually a good thing. He's probably even more accurate running to his right than in the pocket. And when he's running, it means he might just tuck it and rumble for a (nearly) guaranteed first down.

As long as they stay healthy, I think our O line is in good shape for the long haul.

Edited by BornAgainBillsFan

The run blocking was not on display against the WFT. It seemed Sweat was making every tackle. Which meant our RBs weren’t clearing the first line of defense.

The pass blocking was excellent. He didn’t have all day, but you knew Young was going to get his at some point and the best he got was after the ball was gone. I was sitting on the visitor’s side and you could see Young’s frustration on the sideline. It

was satisfying to see.

Buffalo News has a good article up this morning about the OL play specifically against WFT.  Bottom line:  no sacks by that DL is tremendous for a team that dropped back 40+ times, but Ford had his hands full with Payne.  Still, very positive signs going forward.

I don't even pay attention to run-blocking analysis any more.  That's not who we are.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The answer is a real mixed bag. 

Week 1 we struggled across the board except, oddly, Cody Ford who most thought going in was the weak link who probably would have graded out at about average. We especially struggled at both tackle spots. The line was dismal that day and the main reason the offense struggled. 

Week 2 Daryl Williams had another rough day at right tackle, but Dawkins bounced back to form and the interior was serviceable. 

Week 3 the line played better, Daryl Williams was excellent but Ford really struggled against Payne. 

By PFF grading at the moment none of them grade better than average and it goes 1. Dawkins, 2. Feliciano, 3. Morse, 4. Williams and 5. Ford. 

I think it's safe to say at this point that Ford was over-drafted.

• Agree 1

One thing I noticed this week was basically letting the outside rushers get to the outside, then just having Josh dance inside / around them.  This strategy worked really well, and it only works if the interior of the line holds up.  This is impressive because I'd heard so many good things coming into the game about Jonathan Allen who was on the interior, and also because we really struggled blocking Cam Heyward in game 1.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it's safe to say at this point that Ford was over-drafted.

I wouldn’t say that. He went later than a lot of people thought he would go but he wasn’t over drafted. A lot of guys just don’t work out the way you hope.

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I wouldn’t say that. He went later than a lot of people thought he would go but he wasn’t over drafted. A lot of guys just don’t work out the way you hope.

I would consider using the 38th overall pick on an inconsistent guard as an over-draft.

• Like (+1) 1

beane was quoted as saying they had a first-round grade on Ford and they did move up in the second-round to get him...he has been hurt as well and the rotation to the tackle didnt quite work but he has the experience to kick-out there as emer fill-in...its all about your expectations...getting outplayed by a quality lineman like Payne is not an embarassment unless it continues on a weekly basis...he does seems to have heavy feet...not sure what the fix is unless he looses some weight to gain quickness

Edited by First Round Bust

37 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

I defer to Joe B at the Athletic and his ALL-22 review which is published Weds after game review Mon and Tues - he gets technical-analytical-specific - worth it

esp helpful is the season-long grades total in addition to the good game review of all players

I will have to check it out tomorrow. Thx!  

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I would consider using the 38th overall pick on an inconsistent guard as an over-draft.

He was widely considered a first round prospect at the time of the draft. Not working out and being overdrafted aren’t always the same.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He was widely considered a first round prospect at the time of the draft. Not working out and being overdrafted aren’t always the same.

It's more of a hindsight indictment than saying Beane effed up.  To be clear, I'm not calling him a bust.

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

The run blocking was not on display against the WFT. It seemed Sweat was making every tackle. Which meant our RBs weren’t clearing the first line of defense.

I gotta disagree from what I saw being at the game (no all-22 film).

It seemed like there was plenty of space for Moss to run through at the line, and he was regularly getting to the 2nd level. His 4.6 avg would indicate that as well.

Just because a DLineman was making the tackles doesnt mean the play was stopped at the line. Sweat was often hustling back downfield from the backside to make those tackles. I even had to check at one point to see if they were playing him off the ball as a LB because he was making tackles 5-6 yards downfield.

I thought the run blocking was "good enough" to at least give the Defense something to think about and stay honest, and let us move the ball.