Week 4: Texans at Bills

YoloinOhio

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, if you look at the stats overall, the odds of drafting a guy who can play in the NFL - not a superstar, just a guy who can Do His Job - are roughly 50% in the top 3rd of the first round.  Falls to about 30% in the bottom 2/3 and top of the 2nd, then drops from there.

Lots of reasons for this.

What do you consider a “bust”, especially at DT?

Right.

I reserve the word "bust" for guys that fail out of the league after their first contract.

Oliver seems like a career starter. "Disappointing" I can agree with, but I wasn't a fan of the pick when it happened.

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What? This is totally baseless. What other Bills do I think are busts? Also, even if I did think that (which I certainly don't), that shouldn't change the reaction to the fact that Oliver is a bust. People just don't want to hear it because it's negative.

So Ed Oliver is performing up to the standard of a top-10 pick, you think? I never said he had to be Donald, but being just a serviceable player isn't good enough.

The point of my post is the negativity.

I can’t speak for everyone, but it’s not that people can’t handle critique, it’s the consistent negativity and extremes. Maybe I’m wrong, but from what I see from other posts, I’m not the only one pointing it out.

Just something to think about, bro.

Edited by BillsFan619

11 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm not sure there is a way for him to appear any dumber. When you are the bottom, there is nowhere left to go.

Thanks; I appreciate that.

I subjected myself to a real IQ test once, and I scored in the first category down from the top. I believe the Stanford-Binet model was used for scoring (attached below).

What's really super interesting to me is that one can say exactly the same thing both here and on Twitter, and the two collective responses are completely different. This really is a tough crowd of unconditional fans who think their job is to support and defend the team and players without objectivity.

Screenshot_20211002-070704_Chrome.jpg

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Ruh-roh, Shaggy.  When people start citing their IQ scores in defense of their posts, things have gone off the rails.  :lol:

I scored a 69!  I’m not sure what my IQ is though. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

The point of my post is the negativity.

I can’t speak for everyone, but it’s not that people can’t handle critique, it’s the consistent negativity and extremes. Maybe I’m wrong, but from what I see from other posts, I’m not the only one pointing it out.

Just something to think about, bro.

I think it’s also the manner of posting. Making a negative pronouncement like “He’s a bust” is best backed up with some analysis of why that opinion is valid. Especially on a forum designed to celebrate the fandom of a team that many have close ties to, through family or otherwise. 

But attention-seeking is also at play. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

People are so easily offended sometimes.

I'm a relentlessly optimistic person when it comes to the Bills. Every now and then, I point out that the team made a personnel move that hurt them or that the QB played a subpar game, and you'd think I personally spat on the Queen of England. 

It's not as if I made a separate thread going on at length about the issue. I simply mentioned, in the midst of a conversation about guard depth, that it would be nice to have Teller or someone other than Cody Ford. Heaven forbid somebody be momentarily critical of our beloved Buffalo Bills! THE HORROR!

No one seems to be saying you can’t be critical, but your point about Teller is such MMQBing that it’s pointless. It’s like bemoaning the fact we didn’t draft Brady in the first five rounds of that draft. 

It’s like when you flip a coin and you pick heads and it comes up tails. “You shoulda picked heads”. Well, duh. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I think it’s also the manner of posting. Making a negative pronouncement like “He’s a bust” is best backed up with some analysis of why that opinion is valid. Especially on a forum designed to celebrate the fandom of a team that many have close ties to, through family or otherwise. 

But attention-seeking is also at play. 

There's certainly no attention seeking. I often defend myself when criticized though.

On Oliver, it would seem obvious to the average fan that he's not a great player. You don't need complex analysis to determine that when it's right before your eyes. It's like someone being asked to prove that water is wet. As a top-10 pick, his impact should be self evident.

• Vomit 1

48 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I subjected myself to a real IQ test once, and I scored in the first category down from the top. I believe the Stanford-Binet model was used for scoring (attached below).

Everyone knows that the true sign of high intelligence is having to prove it to others!

I hope that Gifted Giuseppe continues to grace us with his very advanced football takes!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What's really super interesting to me is that one can say exactly the same thing both here and on Twitter, and the two collective responses are completely different. This really is a tough crowd of unconditional fans who think their job is to support and defend the team and players without objectivity.

Ahhh the misunderstood genius who is always so objective… so much so that they never use stats to back anything up… just their opinions! 

Staying on topic for this week… I can’t wait to watch McDermott’s defense struggle against Davis Mills this Sunday… because like you said a few weeks back… he’s not that great against rookie QBs! Good thing at least one of us uses objectivity! 😉

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

How much ya bench?

9 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Everyone knows that the true sign of high intelligence is having to prove it to others!

I hope that Gifted Giuseppe continues to grace us with his very advanced football takes!

He once argued with me that McDermott struggles against rookie QB’s.  I then told him he’s won his last 5 against rookie QB’s and only gives up like 14 ppg.  But that fact wasn’t strong enough evidence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

30 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

There's certainly no attention seeking. I often defend myself when criticized though.

On Oliver, it would seem obvious to the average fan that he's not a great player. You don't need complex analysis to determine that when it's right before your eyes. It's like someone being asked to prove that water is wet. As a top-10 pick, his impact should be self evident.

So he’s moved up from “bust” to “not a great player”?  

He’s getting better as we speak!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve wanted Sanders for 3 years now, but I had no idea how cool he is, how much he truly brings to the team. Fantastic interview as well.

I was dead wrong about Sanders. I pinned him as a diva and sort of an anti-process guy. That view stemmed from him bad mouthing Ben R for no reason when he left Pittsburgh. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How much ya bench?

He once argued with me that McDermott struggles against rookie QB’s.  I then told him he’s won his last 5 against rookie QB’s and only gives up like 14 ppg.  But that fact wasn’t strong enough evidence.

Fact and reason have no place here!  

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember a time a couple years ago when the Bills were on the other end of a huge point spread. It was when visiting the Vikings. We all, and the Vikings fans know what happened then. Big point spreads like this can be scary.

37 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was dead wrong about Sanders. I pinned him as a diva and sort of an anti-process guy. That view stemmed from him bad mouthing Ben R for no reason when he left Pittsburgh. 

For no reason known to you, that is.

• Like (+1) 2