Most memorable opening game

BillsFan619

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t think anyone mentioned the 1973 Road Opener against the Patriots. OJ went off for 250 yards in that game and you just KNEW you were about to witness something historic.

I remember that one well.  That was after an 0-6 pre-season too.  

31-0 Tom Brady game against the Pats was pretty memorable...

As was the game where we opened against New England and I believe Takeo Spikes sacked Brady on the first play of the game, caused a fumble and London Fletcher picked it up and ran it back for a TD. And I was like huh???  Did that really just happen on the first play of the NFL season??

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I remember that one well.  That was after an 0-6 pre-season too.  

Woah, I didn’t know that. Only 14 regular season games and SIX preseason games? That’s crazy!

I wonder why they thought they needed so many. I’m hoping we go down to two (teams do need a little preseason) and get 18 regular season games.

I was at the 1980 Fish opener...brutally hot day and the post game rush to the field was a result of 10 years of built up frustration.  

That 1980 team had the make-up and momentum of a Super Bowl winner...if we had only had home field advantage.  Two losses to the lowly Colts took care of that...sigh...

4 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Woah, I didn’t know that. Only 14 regular season games and SIX preseason games? That’s crazy!

I wonder why they thought they needed so many. I’m hoping we go down to two (teams do need a little preseason) and get 18 regular season games.

I am hoping for two pre-season, the season starting a week earlier, no additional regular season games but an additional bye. 

9 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I think this is what we will end up getting eventually. 17 games is just dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think this is what we will end up getting eventually. 17 games is just dumb. 

I’m grateful that they did get to the 17th game. More football, even one more game, is awesome.

But yeah, I’m really hoping that they go to 18 games soon. I think it will allow for teams to play two more games in their conference instead of one out of conference game because of the 17th game. Getting to 18 games could set up more meaningful football because you’re playing more teams in your conference.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am hoping for two pre-season, the season starting a week earlier, no additional regular season games but an additional bye. 

Collinsworth said on the telecast last Sunday night that he thinks the league will soon go to 18 games with NO preseason.  We'll see.

To me, the NFL has always been "less is more."  I liked the 16 game schedule; every game is significant.  Plus, I don't think the human body can withstand an 18 game schedule.  Your best teams may come down to who has the better backups.  Again, we'll see about an expanded schedule, but it won't start until after Labor Day, as is current custom.  The NFL would like to have the Super Bowl played on President's Day weekend, giving many the ability to take the next day off...I think that's been the plan for awhile. 

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I was at the 1980 Fish opener...brutally hot day and the post game rush to the field was a result of 10 years of built up frustration.  

That 1980 team had the make-up and momentum of a Super Bowl winner...if we had only had home field advantage.  Two losses to the lowly Colts took care of that...sigh...

I've shared this many time on here over the years. I was at the Streak Ending game against the Dolphins. I carry the ticket stub around with me in my wallet to this very day.  For the younger crowd....that's just how much that game meant to Bills fans at the time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 9/6/2021 at 12:07 PM, ProcessAccepted said:

For me has to be the 31-0 beatdown of the Pats in 2003.

Sadly the trip to Foxboro had the same score line but the other team winning.

Yeah that one is hard to forget. The Bledsoe and Milloy arrivals. That excitement didn't take long to die down lol

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah that one is hard to forget. The Bledsoe and Milloy arrivals. That excitement didn't take long to die down lol

Yeah, I hear you. I really thought Bledsoe being here was just going to continue our success.

Oh well, we’re back!

31-0 against the Pats was certainly memorable, but the most memorable to ME, and this is because I was there, was a beatdown on Seattle in 2008. Seattle was coming off of a 10-6 season, won their division and a playoff game. They came to OP and we put a beatdown on them to open up the year. That game included a fake FG for a touchdown as well - Brian Moorman to Ryan Denney, if I recall. It also included another special teams touchdown with a Roscoe Parrish punt return.

It was a fun game to be at because we beat the living snot out of a really good team from the year before (a team that would end up going 4-12 that season). It started off our season with, as many seasons during that time frame, high hopes. High hopes that would eventually come crashing down, but it was fun in the stadium that day.

Edited by CLTbills

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

As was the game where we opened against New England and I believe Takeo Spikes sacked Brady on the first play of the game, caused a fumble and London Fletcher picked it up and ran it back for a TD. And I was like huh???  Did that really just happen on the first play of the NFL season??

Looks like it was this game.

• Like (+1) 1