Tom Brady sez in interview that refs are flagging defenses too much

UConn James

19 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I sometimes get grief as he is now in my second city which is very odd, but he does appreciably complain more to the refs than many QB’s (for example, JA17).  I don’t have the same problem with TB as several on the board.  He currently is the GOAT and I don’t  see almost anyone else ever playing in the SB as often as he did for the last 20 years. 

A sidebar is this board has been active all day.  

Unlike JA17, he knows his complaining will get some sort of response from most refs. Like you said he is the GOAT and the refs know that too.  Just like Allen complaining will hold a lot more wait than Fields or Mac Jones complaining to the ref.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Unlike JA17, he knows his complaining will get some sort of response from most refs. Like you said he is the GOAT and the refs know that too.  Just like Allen complaining will hold a lot more wait than Fields or Mac Jones complaining to the ref.

You miss one of my points.  Allen doesn’t do it hardly ever.  He just keeps moving onto the next play.

Some of the greatest hits and defensive plays (and universally celebrated) in the history of the game would be flags today. That's the real shame. Defensive players no longer have the ability to make those impact plays anymore.

And I think player safety is part of it, but the real motivation is making it easier for offended so that games have higher scores and bigger offensive plays, because fans generally have preferred that historically.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You miss one of my points.  Allen doesn’t do it hardly ever.  He just keeps moving onto the next play.

TBH, there have been several times when during the play, Josh has pointed at an obvious penalty before taking the free shot downfield.

But, yes, I don’t remember many times of him spending time arguing with refs to throw a flag. There was the ‘How many times we gotta score a touchdown’ comment on the hot mic last season vs. Denver when we had like five TD plays in a row called back.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, UConn James said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tom-brady-stands-defense-every-hard-hit-penalty

I mean, this is spot-on and the league has bent over backwards trying to increase scoring by making so many rules against defense and in the name of protecting players, but it’s quite rich coming from a guy who has spent his career kvetching to the refs to throw a flag after every incomplete pass and has benefited from some seriously soft 15-yarders for so much as touching The Brady.

Don't forget all the intentional grounding plays which almost never get called on Brady.

On 9/3/2021 at 4:46 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

This is a joke.  Marcia gets better protection from the refs than the President does from the Secret Service.  Not only is he a cheater, he's a hypocrite as well.

This gets said a lot but the numbers never backed it up.  

Fitz, not Brady, was the king of RTP flags drawn for years. 

He’s right. It’s not the responsibility of your opponent to keep you safe but that’s how the league has made it. A defender going after a QB now has to think, ok did he throw it already, because I’m diving at him and I’m not sure but he had it when I began my dive, oh crap, better not hit him low! Oh crap, if I pancake the dude I better put my arms out so I don’t land on him with all my weight! Or if you’re a DB and a guy catches a ball in front of you, you go to make the tackle, receiver drops low at the same time to protect himself, helmet to helmet through no fault of the defender….flag on the defender. 

I dunno. Maybe him speaking up will create some conversation about reviewing some of these rules.