Brandon Beanes Presser today…informative

Alphadawg7

26 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Seems like they are doubling down that Knox steps up. Sweeney is an unknown as he hasn’t been able to stay on the field thus far. Feels like TE is even more of a concern this year than last. Time will tell.

Are you saying you miss Lee Smith?

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b4ig7bbswg1fvlcdlah8

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The Bills continue their disdain for Tight Ends 

I look at it like the opportunity has never been right in the draft.  In 2018 there were some solid ones in but the team was stripped to the studs so they had holes all over.  They didn't have the picks to get the players in the 2nd like Geisicki, or Goedert.  Andrews went before Philips in the 3rd, but we can agree philips is basically busted at this point.  

From 2019 - Knox is about the 3rd most productive TE in a class with Fant and Hock going in the 1st round.  After Irv Smith, 4 more were picked ahead of him that haven't done much.  They could have taken fant in the first (or traded down to someone wanting oliver), but i think buffalo was happy to let the chips fall and ended up with oliver.  

2020 - Terrible TE draft (NE took 2, and already replaced both LOL), probably right to avoid reaching at a need position in a bad class.

2021 - Top heavy draft - Pitts went 4 so he was never even an option, and Friermuth may have been in the 2nd, but he went before buffalo's pick.  

I think they will prioritize it next season in some capacity.  I don't think they need kittle, but knox will be up on his last year and I'd like to see him seriously pushed.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And secondary depth apparently.

I kind of like the safety depth, young and unproven I know, but I think both the young guys might turn out to be players. Heck I liked what I seen of Thomas as well.

Edited by billrooter
  • Like (+1) 1

I have to reiterate how fortuitous and what a pleasure it is to have Beane as a GM (and McD as a coach). What a face of the franchise from the management side, regardless of his excellent personnel moves. He actually thinks before he talks and gives actual useful answers to questions. Who knew that was legal? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Coaches must have really liked what they have seen from Sweeney on the practice field.  He looked good in limited action his first year, but with the amount of time he has missed.. it's crazy that he's still on the squad and that they cut a decent vet in Hollister.  Hopefully, this year, us fans get to see what the coaches must have seen in him.

35 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I think they go 4 wide and continue to throw more. The line has been pretty good in protection and  Josh seems to be getting the ball out quicker. 

I think they want Digg, Gabe, Sanders and Beasley on the field and it will create mismatches, especially if Breida, Moss and Devin can be the safety valve and take on blitzes.  TE is a concern, but not a major one.  What we saw Josh do with GB is just the beginning.

I think that is a pretty fair assessment TBJunkie.  Also Kummerow didn't look a whole lot smaller then Hollister.  I think Knox and Sweeney (if healthy) and Gilliam will be fine for us at TE.  We have a top 3 WR corp in the league.  That is our bread and butter.  Some teams have stud TE's.  We have stud WR's.  

• Like (+1) 1

I asked earlier in the offseason what everyone was seeing in Hollister. I had my doubts that he was anything other than a depth player. I think people just got excited because he played with Allen in college, but I never saw much substance behind the expectations of him being a significant contributor on offense, or especially in supplanting Knox as our #1 TE.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah just looked... it says after 3 weeks he can return to practice and then there is a 21 day window to put him on the active roster.... so I suppose technically you could put him back on the active roster on day 1 of week 4? Although I imagine that is pretty rare and most teams take at least a week to evaluate a player's health in practice before cutting someone else. 

Yeah I think the intent of the rule was for the max 21 days part.  It prevented a team to take a guy like Stevenson, placing him on IR, then after 3 weeks he comes back to practice, but the Bills just say, nope he's not ready yet, but we'll have him keep practicing with us all season.  By next year he should be fine! LOL  So after 21 days of practice they either bring him back to the 53 man roster or back to IR.

What I don't know if they decide to send him back to IR is it now season ending or after missing another 3 active games, could they start another 21 day window?  I'm sure at least one player in the league within that fist 21 day practice period did have a legit set back and needed more time to recover.

31 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I have to reiterate how fortuitous and what a pleasure it is to have Beane as a GM (and McD as a coach). What a face of the franchise from the management side, regardless of his excellent personnel moves. He actually thinks before he talks and gives actual useful answers to questions. Who knew that was legal? 

Totally agree and he doesn’t take himself too seriously either.

Can’t leave the owners off that list though. 

Can you imagine if Beane was in Miami and said we need to do a full tear down? That was presented to Ross by several GMs and he said no. They finally sort of did it two years ago, but then spent a ton of money in free agency the next year instead of building in the draft and using free agency to sign undervalued flexible pieces that would succeed in your scheme on short term deals. 

Not to hijack the thread or your post, but what they did with Tua is the opposite of how the Bills went 100% all in behind Allen on day 1 and never waivered.

It’s just super refreshing that they are able to build something so strong while also driving a growth mindset and team based approach…very rare in that sport as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

Hopefully the Bills will be like the Cowboys of old or the Steelers, where they find a great GM/Coach combo and ride that duo for the ultra long haul.  Both of those teams had tremendous success doing just that.  Plus them sticking around means that the Bills are long-term successful.  Go Bills!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I think they go 4 wide and continue to throw more. The line has been pretty good in protection and  Josh seems to be getting the ball out quicker. 

I think they want Digg, Gabe, Sanders and Beasley on the field and it will create mismatches, especially if Breida, Moss and Devin can be the safety valve and take on blitzes.  TE is a concern, but not a major one.  What we saw Josh do with GB is just the beginning.

Agree the WR are going to gain more yards per catch than the TE would

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Totally agree and he doesn’t take himself too seriously either.

Can’t leave the owners off that list though. 

Can you imagine if Beane was in Miami and said we need to do a full tear down? That was presented to Ross by several GMs and he said no. They finally sort of did it two years ago, but then spent a ton of money in free agency the next year instead of building in the draft and using free agency to sign undervalued flexible pieces that would succeed in your scheme on short term deals. 

Not to hijack the thread or your post, but what they did with Tua is the opposite of how the Bills went 100% all in behind Allen on day 1 and never waivered.

It’s just super refreshing that they are able to build something so strong while also driving a growth mindset and team based approach…very rare in that sport as well. 

Myself and a lot of others do not think Tua is any good. It's a totally different situation than with Josh who was a great teammate and coachable product from day one and immediately you could see the talent. The opposite IMO is what you see with Tua. Who knows what the owners and coach and GM of the Bills would be saying if Tua was the QB and not Josh. Myself, I would not at all be in his corner as a franchise QB and sing his praises like I do with Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not bringing Hollister back is shocking. He looked good in preseason.

The back problems might have scared them off...........it didn't appear to be his play(in game at least, as you've noted).

It is a little weird that they have always wanted a vet in every room and don't have one there.

Hope Daboll doesn't get all wicky-wacky and go 5 wides all the time...........that just makes your offense more about small plays and inept running the football.   Then you run into a defense that's prepared/equipped to neutralize that set and it can get ugly.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

The back problems might have scared them off...........it didn't appear to be his play(in game at least, as you've noted).

It is a little weird that they have always wanted a vet in every room and don't have one there.

Hope Daboll doesn't get all wicky-wacky and go 5 wides all the time...........that just makes your offense more about small plays and inept running the football.   Then you run into a defense that's prepared/equipped to neutralize that set and it can get ugly.

I think they are going to design quite a few plays with Gilliam in the game, as well as Brieda if he is active. They like Knox and they like Sweeney to a degree. Usually I hate TEs like Sweeney with the full Ryan Neufeld Syndrome of being decent at everything and good at nothing, including size and agility, but to me, Sweeney is somewhat of a surprise playmaker 99% of those other guys, and there are hundreds of them, are not. Remains to be seen if he can do it in real games when it counts. But he's okay. 

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

What area of Tampa do you reside in?