Bills release 5 players 8/24

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

We put 5 players on the COVID reserve list, which put us down to the required 81.  We are now at 76 players, five less than what was required. 

The Bills are at 76 with 5 players on the COVID reserve list.

They haven’t put them on the covid list yet 

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think this is making him an early cut to "devalue" him to other teams?

I mean if they think they've made up their minds on him then having him go out there and put out more tape isn't going to make it any easier.

We put 5 players on the COVID reserve list, which put us down to the required 81.  We are now at 76 players, five less than what was required. 

And dosnt matter. Cut them now, or cut them before the Preseason game who cares.  They wont travel with the Team as the COVID returns will be back on the roster Saturday morning.  

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills are not at 76 - they are at 81 and sent 5 players home with COVID.  At this point - none of the five have been put on the COVID reserve list and they had to get down to 81.  

It could be timing, it could be waiting on protocol, it could be they want them participating remotely and if on the COVID list you can’t participate.

I don’t know exactly what their plans are, but at the moment - they needed to cut the 5 guys and it made no difference as the 5 guys sent home were not playing more than a few snaps - if at all.

If they decide to move the players to the COVID list - then they will have 5 spots open to deal with signing guys.  I will worry about that when it happens, but for now they are right where they should be for a roster.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The Bills are not at 76 - they are at 81 and sent 5 players home with COVID.  At this point - none of the five have been put on the COVID reserve list and they had to get down to 76.  

It could be timing, it could be waiting on protocol, it could be they want them participating remotely and if on the COVID list you can’t participate.

I don’t know exactly what their plans are, but at the moment - they needed to cut the 5 guys and it made no difference as the 5 guys sent home were not playing more than a few snaps - if at all.

If they decide to move the players to the COVID list - then they will have 5 spots open to deal with signing guys.  I will worry about that when it happens, but for now they are right where they should be for a roster.

Some just need to make up some convoluted reason to bash the Bills FO 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean if they think they've made up their minds on him then having him go out there and put out more tape isn't going to make it any easier.

No, but if they decided he is a PS player - putting more tape out there might make someone else decide he is worth a roster spot.

This means someone needs to decide based on limited tape and no more practice - if some of these guys are worth it.

My guess is Lance and Thompson makes it back to the PS - I would also watch for a veteran like Gentry to also make the PS just in case.

Edited by Rochesterfan

3 hours ago, WMDman said:

also surprised Devey made it passed this wave of cuts he was AWFUL in Chicago

I think it would be just a matter of making sure they can get through the last preseason game.  After Brown and Doyle got hurt last week, they're don't want to play anyone who is going to make the team

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will only keep 5 LBs

Ouch.  Obviously Edmunds and Milano are locks, but after that it gets tough to narrow it down.  Matakevich is your special team ace.  AJ Klein is your respected veteran presence.  If you assume all those guys are on the 53 man roster, you've got one more spot.  Tyler Dodson has been with the team for a couple seasons.  He's pretty athletic.  Yet Joe Giles-Harris has made some big time plays in the first two preseason games.  So has Andre Smith.  If I'm the Bills, I'm trying to get better.  If you're keeping just 5 guys who were here last year, it's tough to argue that you're getting better.  Not saying you're wrong, just that making the safe choices may not get the Bills where they want to go.

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

And after listening to Beane - we now know why this was done this way.  The Bills sent home 5 players as a precaution.  They were still waiting for the NFL to deem close contacts.

The NFL deemed DAvis, Star, and Beasley, but also identified Butler.  Milano and Klein were not considered close contacts and can return tomorrow.

The date starts from their last contact so 5 days start yesterday for most and Sunday it sounds like for Butler - so all could clear prior to the game this weekend.

So no they could not have used the five people on the COVID list to get down and they did not get the official close contact list until after the cut downs were required as it the NFL - not the team that decides contacts.  

Sounds like the Bills handled this as best they could with getting guys out of the area as soon as possible and addressing contacts to prevent issues.  

I give this team and FO 👍👍!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

And after listening to Beane - we now know why this was done this way.  The Bills sent home 5 players as a precaution.  They were still waiting for the NFL to deem close contacts.

The NFL deemed DAvis, Star, and Beasley, but also identified Butler.  Milano and Klein were not considered close contacts and can return tomorrow.

The date starts from their last contact so 5 days start yesterday for most and Sunday it sounds like for Butler - so all could clear prior to the game this weekend.

So no they could not have used the five people on the COVID list to get down and they did not get the official close contact list until after the cut downs were required as it the NFL - not the team that decides contacts.  

Sounds like the Bills handled this as best they could with getting guys out of the area as soon as possible and addressing contacts to prevent issues.  

I give this team and FO 👍👍!

Ummmm, they placed 4 on the COVID reserve list.  What you talking about??

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

The Bills are not at 76 - they are at 81 and sent 5 players home with COVID.  At this point - none of the five have been put on the COVID reserve list and they had to get down to 81.  

Wrong, 4 players placed on COVID reserve list today.  They brought in 2 guys already. 

• Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Ummmm, they placed 4 on the COVID reserve list.  What you talking about??

Wrong, 4 players placed on COVID reserve list today.  They brought in 2 guys already. 

Umm go back and look at the time line - the 4 players (not 5 like you stated originally) were identified and and placed on the COVID list 22 minutes ago.  You stated they were on the COVID list hours ago and Beane stated the players were sent home by the Bills and the 4 players were later identified as close contacts by the league.  

It included a guy they did not send home in Butler and did not include 2 of your original 5 in Milano and Klein.

As I stated once they were identified they can sign people to replace them and that was what they did.  They could of brought back some players or they could sign new, but they had to cut guys because no one at the time you posted was moved to the COVID list.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Umm go back and look at the time line - the 4 players (not 5 like you stated originally) were identified and and placed on the COVID list 22 minutes ago.  You stated they were on the COVID list hours ago and Beane stated the players were sent home by the Bills and the 4 players were later identified as close contacts by the league.  

It included a guy they did not send home in Butler and did not include 2 of your original 5 in Milano and Klein.

As I stated once they were identified they can sign people to replace them and that was what they did.  They could of brought back some players or they could sign new, but they had to cut guys because no one at the time you posted was moved to the COVID list.

Time is merely a construct. It is meaningless on the internet.