Harrison Phillips knee injury

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The interview is on Bills Twitter and they talk injuries right away. McDermott said they didn't have any long term injuries and the longest he said was potentially a week or two.

I look forward to listening. I wonder why MLJ said this.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

One thing though, in order for this to work the player cut has to not be open to Waivers (cause if they are and another team claims them they don't have the option to sign with the Bills.)

Good point - as a player with 3 seasons, Phillips is subject to waivers, so an injury settlement would have him "waived, injured" meaning another team could claim him.

40 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Time to cut bait. He seems like a good dude but can't stay healthy. 

I'm just curious. It appears a few disagree with my opinion on releasing him. First let me say I respect your opinion as you are of course entitled. But honestly what has he shown in the 3 seasons he's been here? We were all hoping he'd become the second coming of our beloved Meatball. In 3 seasons he's been active 31 games and started 3. He has a grand total of 0.5 sacks in that time. He's only played 33% of defensive plays on average even when healthy and a lot of times appeared over matched. I get that he's a good dude with high character and is community active but that doesn't win games. Please, give me some type of reason as to why he should be kept? Jordan Phillips was much more productive and he wasn't retained although I understand not wanting to pay 10 mil. per like Arizona did. Meh, maybe I'm wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. JMO..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Time to cut bait. He seems like a good dude but can't stay healthy. 

I don't see why.  Keeping him on IR and letting him compete next summer seems like a good bet.  The guy can really play when healthy.  

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good point - as a player with 3 seasons, Phillips is subject to waivers, so an injury settlement would have him "waived, injured" meaning another team could claim him.

What other team would claim him?  They're all trying to cut down to 53 and won't have room for an injured guy, not unless the guy has a proven track record which Phillips doesn't.  I would like to see him IR'd and give him another shot next year.

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I'm just curious. It appears a few disagree with my opinion on releasing him. First let me say I respect your opinion as you are of course entitled. But honestly what has he shown in the 3 seasons he's been here? We were all hoping he'd become the second coming of our beloved Meatball. In 3 seasons he's been active 31 games and started 3. He has a grand total of 0.5 sacks in that time. He's only played 33% of defensive plays on average even when healthy and a lot of times appeared over matched. I get that he's a good dude with high character and is community active but that doesn't win games. Please, give me some type of reason as to why he should be kept? Jordan Phillips was much more productive and he wasn't retained although I understand not wanting to pay 10 mil. per like Arizona did. Meh, maybe I'm wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. JMO..

All good points.  It's seemed as if every time Phillips starts to really figure things out and become productive, he gets hurt.  So he doesn't have the stats that we'd like to see.  But what we HAVE seen is production at the times when he's gotten healthy.  Maybe he doesn't make this year's 53 but things could look a lot different next year.

4 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I don't see why.  Keeping him on IR and letting him compete next summer seems like a good bet.  The guy can really play when healthy.  

What other team would claim him?  They're all trying to cut down to 53 and won't have room for an injured guy, not unless the guy has a proven track record which Phillips doesn't.  I would like to see him IR'd and give him another shot next year.

So here's the problem with that last: this is Phillips' contract year, 4th year.  If we IR him this year, he's a FA next year, with a track record of 1 OK season + 3 games, remainder of 1 season on IR, and a "return year" where he was a healthy scratch 1/4 of the season.  That's not gonna get him much of a new contract.

If the Bills IR him for the season, he's gonna ask for an injury settlement/release and, if unclaimed, try to catch on somewhere else once he's healthy and can work out, so he can show he's worth a decent 2nd contract.  As to "what other team?" it would be a team with a relatively weak DL that thinks he's an improvement on their other players based on his film this preseason and at the end of last season.

23 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

One thing though, in order for this to work the player cut has to not be open to Waivers (cause if they are and another team claims them they don't have the option to sign with the Bills.)

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree.  I looked up what you said Hap and it was true but I knew something was put in place for teams not to be able to "stash" young guys using

this.  Thanks Cpt Caveman for your input.  If memory serves (I'm old and it ain't what it use to be) this rule got put in around the time that

they started letting players come back from IR without being "designated to return". 

I imagine a lot of board members don't give a rats behind about this stuff but some of us do.  LOL.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I was going to look it up, but yeah.   A couple years in a row, down with injuries.  Then he was a stud until the final injury.  

Yeah, Wood missed 6 games of his rookie season and 7 games of his 3rd year on IR.  Then, depending on who you listen to, he either had better luck or he learned how to play "within himself" better to avoid injury.

14 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Look, it's obviously anyone's guess.  But Jordan Phillips was drafted higher, and he didn't light it up in his early years.  For most guys, it takes a few years to grow into the league, both in terms of strength and knowledge.  Harrison Phillips got drafted because he had the basic physique and athleticism that made him project as a long-term player in the league.  He has the potential, but he hasn't had the benefit of being on the field a lot.   So, the question is whether you think he's always going to be hurt.   If that's what you believe, then you let him go.   If you think he's just had a bad run of injuries that isn't likely to continue, then you probably keep him. 

My rule is that you're better off cutting talent too late than too early.   Cut him too late, you wasted a roster spot for a year.   Cut him too early, and you missed out on a talented guy for five or six years.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

My rule is that you're better off cutting talent too late than too early.   Cut him too late, you wasted a roster spot for a year.   Cut him too early, and you missed out on a talented guy for five or six years.  

Wyatt Teller agrees with this take. 

37 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I look forward to listening. I wonder why MLJ said this.

I suppose since when specifically asked about Phillips he said he could miss some time. I just don't know if that's actually a long time or he means the week or two he said instead a few days that he also said.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right.  So what we did last year with (I believe it was) Tommy Sweeney could work.  Sweeney, who had a foot injury, was on the initial 53.

To accomodate him, we actually cut a player we truly wanted to keep, Andre Roberts, whom other teams immediately tried to sign. 

Roberts had a "gentleman's agreement" with Beane, which he honored.  As soon as the season began, Sweeney was placed on IR and Roberts was re-signed at his original contract, but with his season's salary fully guaranteed as it would have been if he'd been on the 53 man roster opening day.

Same thing was done with Dean Marlowe who was still talking Bills up on talk circuit between being cut and resigned to roster.  When you are in that situation players' agents should be looking for multiyear contracts IMO.  

If Phillips is just out for a few weeks I think he'll make the 53.  Maybe inactive for a time and then used.  He's been good in the two games, has fought through rehabbing both knees and spent time in the offseason working with the Bills training staff to reshape his body.  He is a "trust the process" player and cutting him loose sends the wrong message to the rest of the team.  I really hope it's minor and not a threat to roster or season status.  From TBN.

"Phillips spent the majority of the 2021 offseason in Buffalo, something that Sean McDermott took note of. The head coach recently told reporters that Phillips was at the facility, “helping lead our football team,” throughout the offseason before suggesting that he expects the defensive tackle to take a leap in his second year back from his injury.

In the face of adversity – an ACL tear, a temporary fall down the depth chart, and a brutal postseason loss – Phillips has not only battled back to full health, but he’s also evolved into a leader, a role model who sets the standard for his teammates on and off the field."

I do not think Brandon/Sean gives up on this man unless he is unavailable for a longer stretch of time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1