Josh Allen: Contract extended through 2028

eball

17 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Agreed, now the browns and ravens are sweating. They are gonna have to pay their qbs the same or probably more for guys that aren't showing as bright as a future as Allen. 

I hope they pay more. Allen is better than both of those guys and it’s not even close. Bakers team is stacked and Lamar is a one trick pony. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

It is crazy, makes you wonder what a player like mahomes or Allen will sign for 10 years from now. 

there has to be an end somewhere if it really gets to a point that paying a QB will make you so cap strapped that you cant compete.  some team will come up with a way to build a beast of a team and cycle drafted Qb's on rookie deals and then let them walk.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

It does surprise me that many do criticize the deal. This day in age in the NFL you find an elite passing qb you have to pay him what he wants, there's no way around it. Commit to him and he Commits to the bills. If I was a ravens or browns fan I would be salty too, cuz the bar is set and neither qb has shown they are elite passers yet. But they are good enough to demand big contracts from qb needy teams. So they will get paid big while there's still question marks about them.

Consider the value having Josh on the Bills brings to the Pegulas. 

11 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

just the money is crazy the going rate for QB's is increasing so fast.  just back in 2018 everyone thought cousins deal 3 years for 84 million was nutz now i am not sure what 28 mil per year would get you ?

Well $850,000 per year gets you Josh Rosen …

once the TV streaming deals are redone .. this will be just another large but not excessive contract. 

So the prior 10 or so posts nailed it. Other teams with lesser QBs are sweating now.

The starting QB market has been set at $40 Million+/yr

Dak Prescott and Josh Allen set it.

Mahomes is considered by many a generational talent.

Weird it was Dallas and Buffalo to do it... embrace it we have our guy.

I have 0 doubt, barring injury, that Allen is a :

60-70% completion guy

4000-5000 yards per year guy

30-50 TDs passing guy

Those are Peyton Manning/ Aaron Rodgers/ Tom Brady numbers in their prime.

Allen will also chip in:

300-500 yards rushing

5-10 TD rushing

throughout the contract term

Not too many QBs can do that.

I think Justin Herbert will get close (not as good a runner)

I think Lamar Jackson will get close (not as good a passer)

I think Baker Mayfield will get close (a little less in both categories)

But the cost to extend all of them just went up.

Cleveland has to win now.

Baltimore has to win now.

Buffalo and the Chargers have some potential room coming up.

I embrace JA being the face of the franchise and the new stadium.

He is Buffalo Bills football now. I think it is a great bet.

• Like (+1) 4

This extension kicks in after the next two seasons are finished, meaning Allen is still playing under his year four rookie contract terms this year, and the terms of the 5th year option next year.  

The total compensation for Allen over the next 8 years is $288 million, or an average of $36 million a year.

If I had predicted at the end of last season that the Bills were going to lock up Josh Allen for the next 8 years at an average of $36 million a year, I would have been ridiculed.

Nice work Beane!

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This extension kicks in after the next two seasons are finished, meaning Allen is still playing under his year four rookie contract terms this year, and the terms of the 5th year option the Bills picked up earlier this year.  

The total compensation for Allen over the next 8 years is $288 million, or and average of $36 million a year.

If I had predicted at the end of last season that the Bills were going to lock up Josh Allen for 8 years at an average of $36 million a year, I would have been ridiculed.

Nice work Beane!

I agree for the most part. Waiting to see how the contract is layered and guarantees kick in. Rumored $100 Million guaranteed at signing. $150 Million total guaranteed. Very interested to see how that is structured.

I am sure there is some room between 4th/5th yr option and guaranteed money on extension.

In 5 yrs from now, when COVID is done and the new TV contract is done, Mahomes/Dak/Josh will look like steals.

It just takes time. We have our guy.

3 hours ago, snowbelt_subie said:

Lamar has more wins and an MVP under his belt he can get anywhere from 40 mil to above pat mahomes money.

3 hours ago, snowbelt_subie said:

its the #1 stat for a qb they are the leaders of the team some guys find a way and some dont.

i am sure you can name off all these great QB's that have loosing records and all these bad QBs with winning records LOL 

1 hour ago, snowbelt_subie said:

Oh I forgot we were in English class 😅.  

You always know the ***** who brings out grammar has nothing to bring to the conversation.

1 hour ago, snowbelt_subie said:

We are talking about winning consistently throughout a career.  Not having a great season or being carried by an elite defense that can only happen in short periods.

Those are definitely outlier one season stretches. 

43 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

its a bills forum sorry i am not worried about sentence structure and punctuation. 

most of the people here are probably half brain dead from jumping through tables anyways. 😆

Oh Yeah! You’re gonna do Great Things here! I have a nose for talent, and I’ve got a good feeling about you!

-Perhaps you can thank me in a couple days..

• Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This extension kicks in after the next two seasons are finished, meaning Allen is still playing under his year four rookie contract terms this year, and the terms of the 5th year option the Bills picked up earlier this year.  

The total compensation for Allen over the next 8 years is $288 million, or an average of $36 million a year.

If I had predicted at the end of last season that the Bills were going to lock up Josh Allen for 8 years at an average of $36 million a year, I would have been ridiculed.

Nice work Beane!

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Not really. he has the new $16.5 million signing bonus that wasn't in the orginal deal.  That raises his cap number this year but since it's spread out - sportrac has it spread over the 1st 5 years 2021-2025, but I think it is amortized over 8 years for salary cap purposes.  5 makes no sense with 8 years on the total deal. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I remember watching Josh’s first game of the 2016 season at Wyoming against Nebraska and telling my mom, holy **** this kid has an elite NFL arm.  I have followed his career intensely since then, defended him against all the haters externally and even internally.  It’s great to see Buffalo embrace this kid and now he’s yours for probably the rest of the decade and hopefully his entire career!  Congrats to Josh, Buffalo, and us fans.

2nd 2016 game

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh Yeah! You’re gonna do Great Things here! I have a nose for talent, and I’ve got a good feeling about you!

-Perhaps you can thank me in a couple days..

If not we will thank you!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Don't use that accountant for your taxes unless you want to end up in jail or paying big penalties. 

"The jock tax stipulates that players must pay the relevant taxes for any states that they happen to play a game in. For example, when New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton travels to Oakland to play the Raiders, he is responsible for paying California state taxes on the money he gets paid for that game."

https://www.sportscasting.com/how-do-taxes-work-in-the-nfl/

You've proven my point: it’s not NYS tax, it’s where he is playing. The balance CAN be mitigated.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Quick check in at the Jets forum:

Smart-Select-20210806-202423-Chrome.jpg

Cap space and defense winning championships. I'm so glad we're past those days.

🤦‍♂️

There's one Amateur Capologist who shouldn't quit the Day Job.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/06/inside-the-josh-allen-deal/

Signing this contract actually improves the Bills cap situation for 2022

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Browns, almost certainly.  Comments in the 1. KC 2. Browns 3. Bills thread and others.

Completely possible this is a Brady (Pats)/ Manning (Colts) set up for the next 6-7 years and we are the Manning (Colts) in the equation.

I'll take my chances with McDermott/JA vs Reid/Mahomes going forward. Few teams in the AFC feel the same way.

With Mahomes/ Allen/ Herbert/ Burrow etc the AFC should dominate the next 5-10 years.

It's a matter of playoff seeding and wins vs the AFC.

We are locked and loaded, draft well and prosper.

9 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

You've proven my point: it’s not NYS tax, it’s where he is playing. The balance CAN be mitigated.

Correct, players pay taxes on where the game is played.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Quick check in at the Jets forum:

Smart-Select-20210806-202423-Chrome.jpg

Cap space and defense winning championships. I'm so glad we're past those days.

That guy is so off - this signing actually saves the Bills significant CAP space next year - a little more up front this year and in 2023 with the new TV deal.

Perfectly done by Beane.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1