Forbes 2021 NFL franchise values

Beast

12 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills rank dead last. This only further substantiates the idea that the Pegula’s will probably have to receive fairly substantial public funding for a new stadium. The franchise (as a business) simply can’t generate enough operating income to suggest that a Billion dollar plus stadium needs to be paid for through the team’s profitability.

The harsh reality is that Buffalo has an NFL team thanks to a bit of a fluke of history. 

If Terry wants to make the case he's the least valued team, per a second hand source, to leverage taxpayer dollars it's a weak argument.  He invested in the team knowing full well they'd need a new stadium within 10 years of that purchase.  That 1.4B spent to buy the team was made knowing the stadium's condition.   

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The state and county will pay for at least half .. not the city of buffalo

NYS Taxpayers funded half of Yankee stadium and the Mets stadium 

And The Buffalo Bills are the only football team in New York state.. New York state is going to pony a good amount when all is said and done

Need to understand the political part of this debate.  Upstate NY (area above Westchester County) has about 35% of the state's population per recent (2019) estimates.  Downstate runs the political theater here and their willingness to put more money in upstate when NYC/LI is the economic engine of the state must be considered.

The people who decided those expenditures on New Yankee Stadium and Citi Field are pretty much long gone.  And, more importantly, downstate doesn't need upstate's votes to maintain the Assembly, Senate, or Governorship.  Why would they itemize in the budget 750M or some figure in that area for the Buffalo Bills?  Downstate pols aren't handing handing out money proportionally between upstate and downstate.

These rankings are never that  accurate. Why is New Orleans at 25? It’s a: small market with good but not great economy and a similar stadium situation to the Bills. Anyway- who cares? This means nothing whatsoever the way the NFL is structured with revenue sharing. Whatever team is 32 is the 32nd winner. If it was every team for itself then these rankings would matter. 

Correct in terms of still wealthy.  The numbers are down due to the pandemic obviously, but one thing to consider is the tax write offs the PSE gets for the team.  It’s one of the draws that helps Terry’s other companies.  I wrote in the stadium thread this is just a negotiating tactic and the owners and the state will eventually meet each other in the middle somewhere as both will hurt a little from the deal.

Bills will make a substantial jump with a new stadium. 

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills have more operating income than Cincinnati, Tennessee, Cleveland , and Arizona , and giants and bears and jets

And these are estimates. You're worth what somebody's willing to pay... The bills were valued at a lot less than what Terry pagula paid for us

The Bills have zero stadium debt which increases their operating income. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup, a new stadium will increase their value.  Not that it matters because the team is going nowhere/not going to be sold.  It's just mental masterdebating.

Right.  So shouldn’t Pegula pay for the stadium or at the very least the bump in what Bills will be valued at with new stadium?  That’s the government’s negotiation side and hard to argue with.  
The only leverage Pegula has is threatening to move the team. 

Edited by BuffaloRebound

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Right.  So shouldn’t Pegula pay for the stadium or at the very least the bump in what Bills will be valued at with new stadium?  That’s the government’s negotiation side and hard to argue with.  
The only leverage Pegula has is threatening to move the team. 

If they're not planning on selling the team, the bump in value is meaningless to them.  They're not going to foot the entire, or even most of the, bill for a $1.5B stadium when they're not going to recoup that money for a long time, unlike other teams.

But a new stadium allows for higher prices/revenue, which helps raise the valuation.  Even if the Pegulas don't end up owning it.

20 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Doesn't it make sense just to sublet from Dallas.  Just schedule for Dallas 'away' weeks?🤔😁

If they moved the Bills the Pegulas would have to sell all of their other investments in Buffalo, including the Sabres (quite possibly a good thing) and their massive real estate investments in Pegulaville.  No way would Bills fans support those.  In all likelihood there would be a boycott of everything Pegula connected.  The saddest thing here is that Austin was the best threat Jerruh’s firm could come up with.  They’re embarrassing themselves.  There’s no chance of all that happening if they’re getting a reasonable deal on the new stadium.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Beast said:

The valuation is one thing, but more important to the details of the financing the stadium is operating income. I'm assuming these figures are based on 2020 pandemic year with no fans in the seats? I had read that the operating income for the Bills basically doubled from 40M to 75M under the Pegulas. 

But the article says the Bills had -17M of operating income last year... I'm sure that's already changed with nearly every game sold out... 

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills have more operating income than Cincinnati, Tennessee, Cleveland , and Arizona , and giants and bears and jets

And these are estimates. You're worth what somebody's willing to pay... The bills were valued at a lot less than what Terry pagula paid for us

These gotta be pandemic, no fans in the seats totals for 2020. 

Edited by Motorin'

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If they're not planning on selling the team, the bump in value is meaningless to them.  They're not going to foot the entire, or even most of the, bill for a $1.5B stadium when they're not going to recoup that money for a long time, unlike other teams.

But a new stadium allows for higher prices/revenue, which helps raise the valuation.  Even if the Pegulas don't end up owning it.

Billionaires don’t need to sell assets to cash in.  They borrow against their assets and best thing for them is they no pay taxes on what they borrow.  I believe NFL recently raised limit that owners can borrow against their franchise to $1billion.  So the increase in franchise value due to new stadium is absolutely going into the Pegulas pockets whether they sell or not. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/american-billionaires-tax-avoidance-income-wealth-borrow-money-propublica-2021-6?op=1

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

If they moved the Bills the Pegulas would have to sell all of their other investments in Buffalo, including the Sabres (quite possibly a good thing) and their massive real estate investments in Pegulaville.  No way would Bills fans support those.  In all likelihood there would be a boycott of everything Pegula connected.  The saddest thing here is that Austin was the best threat Jerruh’s firm could come up with.  They’re embarrassing themselves.  There’s no chance of all that happening if they’re getting a reasonable deal on the new stadium.

Sullivan had a good point about Austin being part of the Cowboys heartland.  Saint Louis maybe?  The bills are simply applying a little leverage which is smart for them to do. I'm thinking that it's still 95/5 they're staying in Buffalo for the long haul.

If the downstate politicians play hard ball and won't budge on a stadium maybe Western NY could secede from NY State?  They're trying to do just that in Eastern Oregon.  Maybe join PA?  There's a lot of Natural gas & Oil sitting under the ground in Western NY.  Tap into that and paying for a new stadium would be  lot easier.

I know one thing even though I no longer live in Buffalo if the Bills move they and the NFL are dead to me.  I can get my football fix from the college game.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

As posted a couple posts up, I wasnt. But who really cares.

you are correct. I was wrong kinda.

If you add in Rochester it puts Bills at #30. Only NO and GB then are smaller.

But if you add Rochester to Bills pop then NO will want to add Baton Rogue and Biloxi so that then puts Bills back at #31. 🤷‍♀️ GB remains smallest even if you add Milwaukee.

Edited by cba fan