Carson Wentz foot injury (Edit: requires surgery, out for preseason)

Eagles fans saying Colts' outlook for season improved:)

Jokes aside, Colts starters  really caught the injury bug - C Ryan Kelly, CB Rhodes and LB Darius Leonard also appear to be no gos.

If it were an NFC contending team, I would have offered Trubisky for a conditional first - but no way do we do that within the AFC.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

I always was surprised and irritated when people were comparing Allen to Wentz, that Allen had that kind of potential during his first year. Yuck, as I saw a very tough, driven, and immensely talented quarterback and leader of men in Allen, and none of those things in Wentz.

Wentz never seemed to be a great quarterback to me, never acted the part, and never seemed like a leader of men. 

Throw in his injuries, and the guy may go down as one of the biggest busts in NFL history, and one of the most overpaid, if not the most.

108 million dollars have been guaranteed to the guy! (And may be off by a few tens of millions here, too low?)

Welcome to the Jacob Easton era for the Colts?  If not this week, then soon, as we can be assured a man like Wentz will be injured again, soon.

Reich managed extremely well with Wentz' backup in Philly, so I assume he will do the same now.

Edited by Mister Defense

For old timers there is an AFC East connection.  Jacob Eason is the son of Tony Eason, former Patriots "great."  Also, I kind of thought the Bills might take him but he went just before they took Fromm.  Stylistically, just seemed more like Josh Allen than Fromm is.

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I love clauses like that.  If the Colts are up big in a game you can bet Eason will be seeing the field. If it gets late in the season and the math is super close it will be interesting to see if the Colts will have snap count shenanigans to keep their 1st rounder.

Based on last year's play count, and accounting for an additional regular season game, the Colts will run ~1,100 plays this year. Wentz needs to be in ~770 of them to hit the 70% threshold if the Colts are a playoff team, which they probably should be. Last year they ran 64.5 plays a game on average. At that rate, he can miss a little over 5 games. 4 should be ok, 5 starts to get dicey and 6 is probably an issue.  If he misses 4 legitimately and week 17 has no meaning for them that gets to be a fun scenario. The Colts would surely sit Wentz to keep him healthy and want to run as many offensive plays as possible that day. It would also matter how many times they brought in Eason to mop up.  For example, if they are kneeling out a clock, Eason should be doing that. Say they win 11 games and kneel it out all 11 times, that's 33 snaps. That's about half a game worth of snaps in total and could make a HUGE difference a the end of the year.

It depends if Wentz's contract has playing time bonuses too. Players don't take kindly to sitting if it affects their pay. I've read in the past teams have paid bonus money if they don't hit certain performance thresholds due to being inactive the final week if the season. That would not be the case of course for draft pick compensation. 

As you pointed out he would need to miss a decent chunk of the season or portions of games to avoid the pick changing to a #1. That said if he needs foot surgery he could miss half the season or more.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Man, if Frank Reich didn't have bad luck with his QBs, he'd have no luck at all.

Rivers had a foot injury, now Wentz - wonder if there's anything in the training facility or the turf they practice on that contributes?

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Colts need to start playing Country Music backwards at practices

• Haha (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Wentz never seemed to be a great quarterback to me, never acted the part, and never seemed like a leader of men. 

Throw in his injuries, and the guy may go down as one of the biggest busts in NFL history, and one of the most overpaid, if not the most.

108 million dollars have been guaranteed to the guy! (And may be off by a few tens of millions here, too low?)

I won’t disagree with a lot of what you said, but there should be no way he goes down as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

He at least had some half way decent years and hit a second contract.  Guys like Ryan Leaf, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell and even Wrong Josh at QB would far, far, far be bigger busts.  Lawerence Phillips, Boswell, Gholston, Richardson, Mandarich and Dion Jordan are some other guys that fit that label.

I think he was on a pretty good level until injuries derailed him and he has never come back from that.  Wentz is definitely a disappointment and maybe a failure, but I don’t think he would come up in any lists as the biggest busts of all time.

Most overpayed - He, Sam Bradford, and Goff could all definitely fit into that category.

• Like (+1) 3