Anything you look back on fondly that hasn’t aged well?

Another Fan

20 hours ago, Rico said:

Also Genesis, The Eagles, Nirvana, and Rush.

Agreed except for Nirvana. I think that they were excellent.

20 hours ago, Rico said:

I think Creedence and The Doors are relics of their era….also The Cars.

With you all the way on Creedence, even moreso with the Doors. Cars? Not so bad.

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Agreed except for Nirvana. I think that they were excellent.

I also thought they were excellent in the 90s, very influential too. It’s been a very long time since I’ve played their albums though, no desire to do so.

Edited by Rico

Too many bands for me to list.  Agree with pretty much every one listed so far and there are many, many more.  So many movies too.

I’ll add: Kraft Mac & Cheese.  Damn near inedible now.  Though a grilled cheese with white bread and Kraft American cheese still brings back fond memories.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 7/30/2021 at 11:06 AM, May Day 10 said:

Yeah, Im a Nirvana guy, but it isn't aging particularly well.  

Alice In Chains on the other hand is absolutely brilliant and gets better and better.

Disagree to a point, Nirvana albums In Utero and Unplugged in NY still sound great to me, both are classics.  In the context of straight ahead rock maybe they sound outdated but they are more artsy than that.

Agree on the Alice thing.  Still stands up.

11 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Tori Amos

Then...

YDu3UXyF_400x400.jpg

Now

Tori-Amos-GettyImages-858061894-696x442.jpg

Thats the problem with being full of crap.  Sometimes it surfaces.

22 hours ago, Rico said:

I enjoyed watching Happy Days when I was a kid, but it’s unwatchable now. Laverne and Shirley can still make me laugh.

A lot of "old" television shows that were very popular, were really only good for one (sometimes two) seasons before they jumped the shark.

17 hours ago, DrW said:

When I got seriously into listening to music in the mid-70s, I began to worry how far my favorite LPs would last; frequent playing tended to increase background noises. Thus, I got an AKAI reel-to-reel recorder and taped my LP collection. Using the tapes to listen to the music worked well for a while, but after several years I had to realize that that the sound quality of the tapes had deteriorated faster than that of the (now rarely used) LPs.

Also, threading that AKAI with new tape when you were stoned could take quite a while. 😁

22 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I had a pretty sweet mullet back in the day! 

I was a pony tail with braids kind of guy. Now I just shave what little hair is left. BTW, in the 90's, kids were calling bald top old guys with gray pony tails hair style

a "skullet".

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Hollywood movies.

If you prohibited sequels and superheroes, Hollywood would stare blankly out the window for a year.

This is another good one. Maybe it's just me, or the fact I'm getting old and cranky and think most of the people in Hollywood are #######s. I remember growing up and movies were a huge part of my life. Probably watched 2 or 3 a week. I can't remember the last movie I watched end to end. Today  I was scrolling through Netflix and turned on "The Dirt", the Motley Crue movie and turned it off within 10 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, rockpile said:

I was a pony tail with braids kind of guy. Now I just shave what little hair is left. BTW, in the 90's, kids were calling bald top old guys with gray pony tails hair style

a "skullet".

I got a bit more on top than a true skullet.  But that's only where the bed post rubs. That's my story and I am sticking to it! 😆🤣 😉... Gotta take the bad with a little good!

On 7/30/2021 at 10:53 AM, Rockpile233 said:

I’m with you on these. I do like Nirvana, but always preferred Alice in Chains when it came to Seattle grunge.

AIC >Nirvana.  Lane Staley was an amazing singer. I've said it before, I'll take AIC and STP over Nirvana and Pearl Jam 7 days a week.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, dpberr said:

Hollywood movies.

If you prohibited sequels and superheroes, Hollywood would stare blankly out the window for a year.

Maybe if you're specifically talking about the Big 5 in Los Angeles. Movies as a whole are still shining bright for me.

15 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I’ll add: Kraft Mac & Cheese.  Damn near inedible now.

....."cheese" is bland and slimy like now.

15 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Though a grilled cheese with white bread and Kraft American cheese still brings back fond memories.

As a kid, grill cheese with slab like slices of Velveeta off the brick, oozing out, was nirvana like.

• Like (+1) 1

I think someone mentioned it before but MTV.  It's 40th anniversary is actually today but it's been irrelevant in my life the past 20 years.

I'd add TV as well as most series I watch are on Amazon/Netflix/Hulu, etc...   While it makes me sound like a spoiled kid I realize I don't have much attention span anymore for commercials 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I think someone mentioned it before but MTV.  It's 40th anniversary is actually today but it's been irrelevant in my life the past 20 years.

One of the great ironies, MTV killed the Video stars.

The very 1st video MTV played on their premier show:

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/31/2021 at 6:09 AM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I had this state-of-the-art skip proof Discman for my killer CD collection. Top of the line audio player for the time.

I remember getting it and thinking how  sick it was that I could walk, run, bike all around listening to my music in transit. Now everyone does it. 

btw skip proof my a**

haha— this is a great one. I bought a disc man for my sweet 1988 Chevy Celebrity, which did not have a tape player/adapter. So I had to get this radio transmitter adapter to use with the disc man, where it would pick up on a super low FM channel. Between the disc man and the radio adapter, I could barely move in that car for fear of skipping or losing the signal. 

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

haha— this is a great one. I bought a disc man for my sweet 1988 Chevy Celebrity, which did not have a tape player/adapter. So I had to get this radio transmitter adapter to use with the disc man, where it would pick up on a super low FM channel. Between the disc man and the radio adapter, I could barely move in that car for fear of skipping or losing the signal. 

I'm older than you.  I used to play Ain't Talking About Love on my Sony Walkman while I skied moguls as a youth, thinking that was coolest thing ever

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.