❤️Van Miller discusses the history of the Bills

For all the bad seasons in our sports history and the loss of the Braves, we’ve been blessed with some of Sports very best broadcasters. Rick Jeanneret, Ted Darling and the Best Ever, Van Miller. Sharing his Bills memories. 

Thank you, Van!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Agreed 100%

Just thought I'd mention how blessed we were to also have a great hockey writer like Jim Kelley back in the day.

That man could describe an odd-man rush in such prose, that it would almost make you stand up from your chair while reading it.

Let's go Buffalo!

Hockey, Hockey, Hockey!!!

• Like (+1) 1

For a second I thought this thread was going to be a Von Miller to the Bills watch thread. 

Not sure I could handle that with the Ertz discussions. 

Edited by DJB
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

For all the bad seasons in our sports history and the loss of the Braves, we’ve been blessed with some of Sports very best broadcasters. Rick Jeanneret, Ted Darling and the Best Ever, Van Miller. Sharing his Bills memories. 

Thank you, Van!

It almost seems like Ted Darling gets lost in history.  I guess that happens...but back in the old days, Ted did the play by pay for Sabres tv broadcasts, and Jeanerette was strictly radio.  Since Rick has been there since the beginning (or almost) I think younger fans aren't even familiar with Ted Darling.  Great voice.  In fact, when I was a kid, I hated hearing Jeanerette...likely because it meant I was listening on the radio, rather than watching on tv.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buftex said:

It almost seems like Ted Darling gets lost in history.  I guess that happens...but back in the old days, Ted did the play by pay for Sabres tv broadcasts, and Jeanerette was strictly radio.  Since Rick has been there since the beginning (or almost) I think younger fans aren't even familiar with Ted Darling.  Great voice.  In fact, when I was a kid, I hated hearing Jeanerette...likely because it meant I was listening on the radio, rather than watching on tv.  

Ted Darling indeed has been lost in Buffalo history; he was incredible on TV. Anyone under the age of 35 missed out on him doing games. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am a child and big  fan of the 1970s culture, esp sports, in addition to the Bills games...Van did the Braves games pbp and would hustle back to the WBEN studio to do the 11 PM sports broadcast...safe to say the man loved his work and knew his stuff...the quintessential Buffalo sports fan and icon...god bless ya Van and may you rest in peace (and keep watchin your Buffalo sports with us)...

As for Ted Darling, the best, even better than RJ, Ted developed doing HNIC and was so smooth and experienced doing games with professionalism and enthusiasm, which I fell asleep to listening on the radio he had the playful perk where when a puck went over the glass into the crowd he would playfully (and falsely) identify where that fan was from (local area including Southern Ontario) which would add color to the dull stoppage in play.  I think RJ benefitted from working with Ted and Ted has passed the torch to RJ as he has Ted's respect and enthusiasm ..Ted was not perfect, sad to say he was alcoholic...may he rest in peace...and keep going RJ...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Agreed 100%

Just thought I'd mention how blessed we were to also have a great hockey writer like Jim Kelley back in the day.

That man could describe an odd-man rush in such prose, that it would almost make you stand up from your chair while reading it.

Let's go Buffalo!

Hockey, Hockey, Hockey!!!

He tried to capture the spirit of the thing.

4 hours ago, Buftex said:

Me too! UNTIL, our OT Win vs the Canadians in our 1st Ever Playoff Series! Ricks’ call STILL sends shivers up my spine from that one!

”Schoenfeld falls down, gets up -along the boards for Perrault.. a LOOONG pass for Robert, he wasn’t gone..Now here’s Robert! Going in on goal, going in on goal, he shoots! HE SCOOORES!! His Voice cracking on the last word! Super THRILLING!

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Me too! UNTIL, our OT Win vs the Canadians in our 1st Ever Playoff Series! Ricks’ call STILL sends shivers up my spine from that one!

”Schoenfeld falls down, gets up -along the boards for Perrault.. a LOOONG pass for Robert, he wasn’t gone..Now here’s Robert! Going in on goal, going in on goal, he shoots! HE SCOOORES!! His Voice cracking on the last word! Super THRILLING!

Jeanerette and Darling were a complete contrast in styles.  Darling was so smooth...had an almost musical rhythm to his voice, while RJ sounded like somebody being stabbed to death with a knife in a dark alley at night!  To be honest, RJ's voice kinda freaked me out a little as a kid.  Totally appreciate him now...but I do miss Darling.   And even in his advance years, RJ still has a great sense of humor.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

good contrast between RJ and Ted...

Ted Darling is my all-time favorite...was a product of Hockey Night In Canada (HNIC) experience before becoming the voice of the Sabres, HNIC announcers past and present are the gold standard; knowledgeable with a pro balance of passion for the game and neutrality, as in minimal homer-ism (for the most part - Leafs games may be the exception).it may be the Canadian personality/DNA, or middle-age maturity that make the games more palatable compared to say NBC games (that gawd that run is over) or other broadcasters other than our Sabres...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I loved Van growing up.  I only met him once.  He was in Larry Felser’s office at the BN when I walked in delivering the inter office mail (yes kids before the internet and yeah late 80’s means I’m old when I was early in college).  

My dad was in the office as he worked at the BN for 44 years, dear friends with Felser, and acquaintance with Miller.  I was able to hang out for a few minutes with my hero (my dad), Van Miller and Larry Felser.  It was so much fun as an 18 yr. old taking 5 minutes with our media heroes.  Great guy!

Thanks Chhandman.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

wow - I have to say that Larry Felser and Van were-are the best in Buffalo sports coverage ever...Azar and Kilgore (Clip Smith, Chuck Healey) from back in the day.. pls.pass along a few Felser highlights-insights when-if you can...I loved his Friday NFL picks in the evening news...the score with a sentence for each NFL game....the BN and BEN Friday football preview for college and pro was very, very good and very comprehensive back in the day...