Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

4 minutes ago, balln said:

you need active or new infections as a percentage of population. keep trying. also florida and most southern states are woefully poor at testing and reporting

Florida has more people then NY State and is about the same size.  On top of that Florida was visited by millions of tourists the last 6 months while NY State has largely remained closed down to tourism.  By any reasonable consideration Florida has a much better covid profile then NY. And they are not seeing a spike.

I've read several studies employing Meta analysis to look at covid infection & death rates across the US and the world and so far it doesn't matter whether you locked down tight or stayed wide open or everything in between.  Covid is a classic respiratory virus that spread through the human population in much the same way that most respiratory virus do.  It's actually been eye opening how little our mitigation efforts impacted covid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

How dare all these people comment on something that was written in Cole’s private journal…Oh wait, he posted his views on Twitter for the world to see. 

yea like this is content for his podcast 5 years from now when he actually retires

Just now, balln said:

while im heavy pro vax. im not throwing away bease. hes heated. and mostly upset at NFLPA. and let this get outta hand with social media. he should get vaccinated. but if HE doesnt want to ----- if the lord tells him not to--- its his right not to. BUT he works for a business that has protocols. 

Your final sentence is my entire issue with Bease, and much of what I hear in society as a whole.  Make your personal choice, that’s fine, but why must people go on and on about how they refuse to follow whatever guidelines are established as a result ? We’ve become a society that believes in only following rules they deem suitable, and this is an issue that transcends politics. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

Florida has more people then NY State and is about the same size.  On top of that Florida was visited by millions of tourists the last 6 months while NY State has largely remained closed down to tourism.  By any reasonable consideration Florida has a much better covid profile then NY. And they are not seeing a spike.

I've read several studies employing Meta analysis to look at covid infection & death rates across the US and the world and so far it doesn't matter whether you locked down tight or stayed wide open or everything in between.  Covid is a classic respiratory virus that spread through the human population in much the same way that most respiratory virus do.  It's actually been eye opening how little our mitigation efforts impacted covid. 

youre partially correct. thats bc were human/and americans and we dont follow the rules. You bet ya new zealand got it right !

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Source?

The last time I started posting sources I got put in TO.  I'm a scientist by profession and the bulk of the current thinking on covid indicates that asymptomatic people rarely pass covid on.

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Your final sentence is my entire issue with Bease, and much of what I hear in society as a whole.  Make your personal choice, that’s fine, but why must people go on and on about how they refuse to follow whatever guidelines are established as a result ? We’ve become a society that believes in only following rules they deem suitable, and this is an issue that transcends politics. 

People still hold onto the notion that this is a free country.  For many, this past year shook that vision to its core.   

Should he just comply with the non-vaccinated protocols.. probably.  Would I... yes...  Do I understand why many view the constant hectoring and overreach from those in power as a threat to who we are as a people... yes.    And that can come out as a rebuke of things others view as inconsequential.   

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

No I do not, but a potential risk is better than a guaranteed risk IMO.

You do what's best for you though. 

how is a potential future risk “guaranteed?” Do y’all have time travel down there in southern Alabama? Another beaut in this thread full of them.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

For me, personally, I made the decision against getting vaccinated because I’ve seen, firsthand, some horrible reactions to it.  

I also take care of myself and am in my 30’s.. I don’t think it’s likely that there’s any long term effects from the vax, but I’d rather not risk it.  I’m honestly not at all worried about getting COVID.  To my knowledge, I haven’t gotten it yet.  Maybe I have, maybe I haven’t.  

I did worry about passing it along to vulnerable people, but now anyone I’m around who might be affected by it, is vaccinated. 

I will say that the vehement pushback to it that I have comes from how bizarrely aggressive the media/government is in pushing this. 

I think the only mitigation effort we did that worked was urging people who experience symptoms to quarantine.  The bulk of the data I've seen shows that asymptomatic rarely pass covid on.

We made a fatal mistake early on by quarantining healthy people instead of focusing on the sick.

Every vulnerable person in the US has had the opportunity to get vaccinated.  IMO the only people vulnerable are that way by choice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The last time I started posting sources I got put in TO.  I'm a scientist by profession and the bulk of the current thinking on covid indicates that asymptomatic people rarely pass covid on.

Skyline or Gold Star? 

Sorry, I thought it might be nice to lighten things up. :)

I prefer……neither! Cinnamon in chili? YUCK! Give me Zips with a burger!

I wish Cole had stayed quiet and worked things out in house. I don’t see how this can make anything better, so…..why? 

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Beas has a substantial ranch property in Texas.

When I'm not busy imputing the best motives and genuine beliefs and convictions to players, I did have this observation that Beasley was helmetless and not participating in team drills most of OTAs and we didn't hear about him being open and making catches for Josh when the defense was "winning the day".  Then I had this sneaky little devil thought, "what if Bease really damaged himself playing on that broken leg last season and is struggling, and decided to kind of ride off in a Blaze of Glory as a Martyr to NFL/NFLPA Covid Policy instead of announcing that he was retiring because he could no longer play at the level he wanted?"

Wait a minute. Are you really saying someone who has differing views than  you is motivated by nefarious reasons and cannot be a person of conscious? Is that what you are saying? 

41 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Seems I hit a nerve... I’m pretty sure if I met half of you vaccination lecturers in person, one of us would look like we are doing our part to do what we can to not drain the healthcare system... and the other would have a “I got vaccinated” sticker. 

Condescending and patronizing post. Half of “collective you aka unhealthy by insinuation. Talk about having a  I’m superior to you all  self righteous whacked attitude. 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I ask because everything I've read contradicts that.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2774707?utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_term=010721

January CDC study says asymptomatic spread accounts for 60% of new cases.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Skyline or Gold Star? 

Sorry, I thought it might be nice to lighten things up. :)

I prefer……neither! Cinnamon in chili? YUCK! Give me Zips with a burger!

I wish Cole had stayed quiet and worked things out in house. I don’t see how this can make anything better, so…..why? 

Skyline!

When my Buffalo friends visit they fall into two groups:  those that love the chili and those that hate it.  Those that love it though must get their fix ASAP after they get here.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think the only mitigation effort we did that worked was urging people who experience symptoms to quarantine.  The bulk of the data I've seen shows that asymptomatic rarely pass covid on.

We made a fatal mistake early on by quarantining healthy people instead of focusing on the sick.

Every vulnerable person in the US has had the opportunity to get vaccinated.  IMO the only people vulnerable are that way by choice.

Your going down the rabbit hole now…. Has there ever been a virus in our history that is transmitted without people having symptoms? 

4 minutes ago, cale said:

Last I looked, Cole Beasley is an amazing wide receiver playing in a team deep at WR. I love and respect his play. He is entitled to his opinion. But he isn't an infectious disease expert. As someone married to a healthcare professional who had to and still does deal with the dangers of Covid, he's being a total ass about this particular issues.

If he chooses to not get vaccinated, he can follow the protocols in place to protect *him* and others. If he chooses to get vaccinated, he also needs to follow *those* protocols to protect him and others.

It's not that hard.

One thing that I see as a possibility from all this is unvaxed players who feel the same as Beasley on the surface agreeing to the terms, but just not following certain parts of the protocol.  How much in depth policing can actually be done.  Especially in terms of personal human contact, it would seem to be largely an "honor" system (assuming players aren't posting pics with strippers).  

The policing/punishment aspect of this really seems like it could become a mess.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I ask because everything I've read contradicts that.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2774707?utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_term=010721

January CDC study says asymptomatic spread accounts for 60% of new cases.

You will find a lot of contradictions in the data as the science is far from settled with this.  But the current belief is that asymptomatic people rarely pass it on.

To be perfectly blunt the CDC has been less then stellar during the pandemic. I'll leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your going down the rabbit hole now…. Has there ever been a virus in our history that is transmitted without people having symptoms? 

The herpes virus gets transmitted asymptomatically all the time. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2