EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

6 hours ago, BTB said:

I think most people knew this already...the current stadium is falling apart.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/pegula-executives-renovating-highmark-stadium-for-bills-is-just-not-realistic/article_c373cc30-fc96-11eb-b6db-0b8d5d25abf5.html

PS For the preschoolers who like pictures more than words, you will like this story. 😂

This article highlights a number of reasons why I’m in favor of a retractable roof. Weather-related degrading of the concrete — even for the concrete from the 2013 renovations — is extensive. Constructing new with concrete and still leaving it exposed to the brutal elements and freeze/thaw isn’t going to make concrete magically last longer. Same goes for plastic seating that turns brittle, paint, electronics, etc. 

Being able to close a roof when the weather turns would save a lot of future repairs, to say nothing of making it more usable year-round and as the NFL year gets extended to 18 games and another bye week.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, UConn James said:

This article highlights a number of reasons why I’m in favor of a retractable roof. Weather-related degrading of the concrete — even for the concrete from the 2013 renovations — is extensive. Constructing new with concrete and still leaving it exposed to the brutal elements and freeze/thaw isn’t going to make concrete magically last longer. Same goes for plastic seating that turns brittle, paint, electronics, etc. 

Being able to close a roof when the weather turns would save a lot of future repairs, to say nothing of making it more usable year-round and as the NFL year gets extended to 18 games and another bye week.

Yes I agree with your points except no need for a retractable roof.  It could be a fixed roof stadium in OP with no fancy bells and whistles for <1.5 bil.  

Instead you will end up with field level suites and a bunch of other luxuries that the average fan will pay for but never utilize. 

I’m prepared to be disappointed...hope everyone else is?

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

I hope they stay away from these companies that the Bills are the only NFL team to use their products.  Two examples, the turf.  When it was done in the early 2000's, they went with a company that no one in the NFL was using.  I believe that company is now out of business.  Same with the heated club seats.  Went with a company that went out of business so there was no replacement parts.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

24 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I hope they stay away from these companies that the Bills are the only NFL team to use their products.  Two examples, the turf.  When it was done in the early 2000's, they went with a company that no one in the NFL was using.  I believe that company is now out of business.  Same with the heated club seats.  Went with a company that went out of business so there was no replacement parts.  

Ralph was .... you know

You Know Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

53 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Yeah...all those cold-weather teams with recently built open-air stadiums are screwed. There's just no way around these issues. Dummies.

😏

23 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This article is behind a paywall….I don’t like to waste money on the BN.  can someone give me the jist?

The gist is you need to stop being a freeloader. 

In another thread we had a debate over why I pay to read newspapers & some said they can get all their news for free.  Why don't you ask them for their source so you can read it.  If you can't then stop thinking you are above paying for information.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Stop being so sanctimonious.  I simply asked someone to summarize the article because I don’t like to waste money on things that suck.

For something that apparently sucks so much, you do seem pretty eager to obtain information from it.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Patience said:

For something that apparently sucks so much, you do seem pretty eager to obtain information from it.  

Whatever.  I wouldn’t say that it sucks.  Just that I know I wouldn’t get the value out of a subscription.

I pay for the Athletic and have always shared summaries from articles that I felt would be interesting for other members, without trying to shame them for not being subscribers

1 hour ago, BTB said:

Didn’t I do that?  I’ll repeat...the current stadium is falling apart. 

There’s 87 pages!  I must have missed that.

27 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Whatever.  I wouldn’t say that it sucks.  Just that I know I wouldn’t get the value out of a subscription.

There’s 87 pages!  I must have missed that.

Are you drinking?   You want a summary of this thread, or the BN article from this morning?

...and you just said a couple of posts ago that the BN sucks.  Make up your mind. 

19 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

"No replacement parts", is sending my B.S. meter through the ceiling. Heated seats are not exactly unique items.

The entire article (In my opinion) is attempting to corral fans into thinking that things are much worse than they seem.

I tend to think the same thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll be sad to see the Ralph closed down, but yeah that’s a no-brainer if  it’s only another $400 million or so to build a brand-new stadium.

Hopefully they steer clear of whoever they hired to build that staircase that’s already starting to deteriorate after only eight years, though!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Stadium overhangs.  Been there done that!

image.png.57757fcd4f8fc2a84272bb686b094b93.png

We had four covered seats about the 45 yard line closest to home base. (Those are words that should NEVER be in that order.) The roof was great in the rain, except where we sat…under the crack in the seam in the roof where it came down like a FIREHOSE! 

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, BTB said:

Yes I agree with your points except no need for a retractable roof.  It could be a fixed roof stadium in OP with no fancy bells and whistles for <1.5 bil.  

Instead you will end up with field level suites and a bunch of other luxuries that the average fan will pay for but never utilize. 

I’m prepared to be disappointed...hope everyone else is?

Agreed.  Open air is really short sighted and retractable roofs are a waste of money as they're closed most of the time anyways.  Minnesota's stadium should be the blueprint.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Gee, that fairly recent $140 million upgrade, must've been really Spiffy! The boulders around the parameter, were a nice touch.

I wonder what THEY added to the upgrade cost? (((((Cough!)))))

Don't shoot the messenger.  I was just summarizing in as few words as possible, what the article stated.