Jump to content

Name a good Bills player who would have been much better if he had better support.


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

Marcel Dareus. HOF talent drafted by the wrong team at the wrong time.


His physical talent was elite. 

His heart, will, and drive to be great were practice squad level.

A real shame. Looked great in a boat captain's hat, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

20 years worth of wide receivers.

Eric Moulds.   This thread can now be closed.

Peterman???         ducking for flying objects 

16 minutes ago, Logic said:


His physical talent was elite. 

His heart, will, and drive to be great were practice squad level.

A real shame. Looked great in a boat captain's hat, though.

If he didn’t come into a clown show of an organization and if he had some legit role models on the team to steer him along & keep him in line & teach him how to win, I think he may have realized his potential. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I absolutely agree with Moulds…such a shame for him he landed here. 
 

I would have also been interested to see what Fred would have done on a really good team. 

 

I agree on Fred. Had he been a pat* he could have had a hell of a run.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

 

 

I think if Moulds had at least a decent QB to throw to him, he would be looked at as one of the greats.  He would be known at the same level as Marvin Harrison and Tory Holt who were in his same era.  But with the QB's throwing to him, he is really only still remembered by Bills fans.

 

 

 

Important to note that Moulds was on 3 playoff teams in his first 4 seasons.......he just didn't show up to play until year 3.

 

The lamented years of 2000-2004.....after which Moulds fell off a cliff..........he actually had more passes thrown to him than Tory Holt.    Holt came into the league ready to go.   He put 1800 more yards in his first two seasons than Moulds did in his.    Just a better player,  WR, teammate and person.   

 

There is no comparison with Marvin Harrison in terms of talent.........he was an elite route runner with great speed.     Moulds was a hack by comparison.    Johnson and Bledsoe actually played perfectly into Moulds game as a guy who just liked to run deep routes but also required a QB who would just throw it up for grabs because Moulds often could not separate.    A guy like Peyton Manning would not have appreciated having to throw passes into harms way to cater to Moulds.  

 

I don't think any of the players during "the drought" were very personally harmed by being on a bad team.    Aaron Schobel probably would have put up more sacks and gotten more press on a good team.........but he called it quits 2-3 years too soon so it shouldn't be a big lament of fans.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Early days:

  • Also WRs - Marlin Briscoe and Bob Chandler. 
  • Though he had a great playing career, OJ's first 3 years (year 2 he got hurt) were wasted. Imagine if Saban had been here from the beginning of his career.
  • Tony Greene and late 70-80s, Charles Romes

Later:

  • Moulds for sure

OJ and Moulds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillsBlue said:

My honest opinion 

Jp losman.......

 

My funny opinion Craig nall

 

My best guess probably Fred Jackson he was always a super star and most of his career was wasted in Europe.....imo he may have been one of the all time greats had he had enough time starting 

I 100% agree with JP Losman!! Losman was Josh Allen, coming out of Tulane, without the size. Losman had the mobility and strong arm but wasn’t considered to be the most accurate. Losman also had that SWAG on the football field. Losman was also considered a “Buffalo guy”. I would’ve loved to seen JP under the tutelage of the current Bills administration. Would Jordan Palmer been able to fix Losman’s footwork to improve his accuracy the way he helped Josh? Would Daboll have been able to help JP read defenses and make the correct decisions on the football field? Would McDermott’s coaching style have had the team better embrace JP as a rookie? All of this would have been nice to know. If only I had a Delorean DMC.

 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shady was the best skill position player we had from the super bowl era through last year. If he had any help he could have been a Bills legend. The guy was the single biggest reason for the ending of the drought and deserved so much more then he got here. It’s to bad the primes didn’t line up because if Shady was still good and on last years team, we might have been the best offense in 15 years.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

Important to note that Moulds was on 3 playoff teams in his first 4 seasons.......he just didn't show up to play until year 3.

 

The lamented years of 2000-2004.....after which Moulds fell off a cliff..........he actually had more passes thrown to him than Tory Holt.    Holt came into the league ready to go.   He put 1800 more yards in his first two seasons than Moulds did in his.    Just a better player,  WR, teammate and person.   

 

There is no comparison with Marvin Harrison in terms of talent.........he was an elite route runner with great speed.     Moulds was a hack by comparison.    Johnson and Bledsoe actually played perfectly into Moulds game as a guy who just liked to run deep routes but also required a QB who would just throw it up for grabs because Moulds often could not separate.    A guy like Peyton Manning would not have appreciated having to throw passes into harms way to cater to Moulds.  

 

I don't think any of the players during "the drought" were very personally harmed by being on a bad team.    Aaron Schobel probably would have put up more sacks and gotten more press on a good team.........but he called it quits 2-3 years too soon so it shouldn't be a big lament of fans.    

Thanks to Gailey/Nix switching to a 3-4 when we had zero personnel capable of running a 3-4.  Good thing we spent 2 drafts on bums like Troupe, Carrington, Batten, and Moats who were supposed to fit our new 3-4 before we abandoned it 18 months later and went back to a 4-3. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rico said:

If he didn’t come into a clown show of an organization and if he had some legit role models on the team to steer him along & keep him in line & teach him how to win, I think he may have realized his potential. 

I have defended Dareus and given McD crap for not coaching him up and taking the easy way out by trading him.  However it's wrong to say he had no role models. He had Kyle Williams playing next to him.  He had Hughes who by all reports is a good locker room guy.  Maybe if McD and Frazier had been his initial coaches instead of Ryan it could have turned out better.  Dareus is one of many NFL players to get the second contract signing bonus and then give up. He won't be the last.   I still suspect given the right circumstance Dareus could still play at a high level.   At least be solid rotation guy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Logic said:

Marshawn Lynch.

I wonder what would have happened if he had a decent play-caller and an opportunity to contribute in meaningful playoff and championship football games.

I guess we'll never know.

We do know.  When he was traded to Seattle he was a SB winner and a superstar.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...