ESPN gives Kenny Mayne the pink slip... his Buffalo visit was memorable

4 hours ago, ColeB said:

Greeny hosted the NFL Draft coverage.

My son got married that weekend, so I didn’t even see that. How was he at that? I tend to like Greenie, I just don’t like his new show. It’s the same formulas as all the others with a nicer backdrop. 

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

My son got married that weekend, so I didn’t even see that. How was he at that? I tend to like Greenie, I just don’t like his new show. It’s the same formulas as all the others with a nicer backdrop. 

I mostly watched NFLN draft coverage but I heard the espn version felt like an episode of Get Up — . For example Bears on the clock and they start talking about if Nagy is getting fired.  no real expertise on the players (except for kiper) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was a number of things. Kinda "Perfect Storm"ish.

1. Cord cutters hit them with a major blow.

2. And maybe even bigger, the NFL deciding to launch it's own network, and jack up the cost of licensing highlights pretty much took ESPN out at the knees. They had to cut NFL Primetime, and lots of other NFL content. And lets face it, NFL rules the sports news world.

3. Losing the NHL contract to NBC. Although I'm not sure how much they lost it as opposed to just let it go.

4. All those hits forced them to make major cost cutting moves, which meant all the good (high priced) on-air talent got axed. Which drove down program quality.

The only thing ESPN has going for it is College Football.

I dont have the numbers but I'd bet that Golic made far more money over his time at ESPN than he did as an NFL player. So can't really say Greeny hosed him. Plus, it feels like he's been ready to retire for a long time now but was hanging out because he had nothing else to do, the check was decent, and he was helping his kid get a foot in the door to easy money.

They may have lost the NHL contract, but I think they still have the National Spelling Bee FTW.

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

They may have lost the NHL contract, but I think they still have the National Spelling Bee FTW.

Which gave them something to replay during Covid. Hard to find more rousing content than an 8 year old spelling bee! 

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

2. And maybe even bigger, the NFL deciding to launch it's own network, and jack up the cost of licensing highlights pretty much took ESPN out at the knees. They had to cut NFL Primetime, and lots of other NFL content. And lets face it, NFL rules the sports news world.

3. Losing the NHL contract to NBC. Although I'm not sure how much they lost it as opposed to just let it go.

4. All those hits forced them to make major cost cutting moves, which meant all the good (high priced) on-air talent got axed. Which drove down program quality.

I dont have the numbers but I'd bet that Golic made far more money over his time at ESPN than he did as an NFL player. So can't really say Greeny hosed him. Plus, it feels like he's been ready to retire for a long time now but was hanging out because he had nothing else to do, the check was decent, and he was helping his kid get a foot in the door to easy money.

Yes, ESPN college football has been awesome for decades.  I remember watching Ron Franklin and Mike Godfried doing Saturday Nite Football in the mid 80's in college.  Great stuff.  The anchors back in the day were tremendous.  Olberman and Patrick.  The late Tom Mees.  Mike Ley.  And remember the show w Roy Firestone years ago?  Tremendous stuff.  I remember an interview w Lyle Alzado about steroids before he died back in about 1991.

Now its a rag promoting a bunch of nonsense that has nothing to do w Sports.  

I feel old but I used to enjoy watching The Sports Reporters on Sunday morning. Of course they went away from the professional format of discussion and decided to run with the Stephen A Smith/Nick Wright model of yelling back and forth 🙄

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That, and College Basketball. 

ESPN is still the best when it comes to college sports.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel old but I used to enjoy watching The Sports Reporters on Sunday morning. Of course they went away from the professional format of discussion and decided to run with the Stephen A Smith/Nick Wright model of yelling back and forth 🙄

That was my Sunday routine.

Starting at 7am....Sportscenter recap of College Football followed by The Sports Reporters, followed by an abbreviated Sportscenter, followed by NFL Gameday.

Then switch to CBS or NBC, eventually it would be CBS or FOX and watch NFL Football all day.

Then back to ESPN for NFL Primetime. Then Sunday Night Football be it on TNT Sunday Nitro for the 1st half of the season then ESPN for the second half of the season.

Then back to Sportscenter with Dan Patrick & Bob Ley for the day's recap, followed by a replay of NFL Primetime. Then a football special from NFL Films.

SIGH.....Those were the days. :)

Oh and this was after having spent the entire Saturday of watching College Football from sun up to sun down. I drove my parents and my sister crazy. :devil:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Totally agree even the age thing ha

Only thing I even watch besides games is Jalen and Jacoby. No yelling

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

I like Jwill and Zubin. Keyshawn is one of the worst in espn history.  He’s really clueless when it comes to every sport that isn’t the NFL. Jwill carries

I think they are all terrible - can’t listen in my car anymore at all.

• Agree 1

On 5/10/2021 at 8:48 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Kenny Mayne is an ESPN lifer, he did the famous bit with Marshawn/Applebee’s (that’s the link above)

he’s the latest of the ESPN layoffs - Mike Golic, Trey Wingo etc before him

***** ESPN.  They canned Schaub those *****.

I watched ESPN from its inception.  The first 20 years of ESPN was some of greatest TV imo.  I know many who agree.

It blows my mind how someone could ***** up such an incredible channel.  ESPN was such a juggernaut.  It seemed like an impossible task.  But Disney did it.

Yo Disney re ESPN- Keep It Simple Stupid

• Agree 1

I miss the old days too.  For us it was me making breakfast for the little kids (now two of three in college) family catholic mass, my ex making her homemade sauce for macaroni and gravy for Sunday dinner,  football all day, family dinner and the boys climbing into bed at 7 pm for prime time with boomer and Jackson.

those were great days.  ESPN is a mess these days.  I can’t even watch anymore.  I won’t even watch the pre game on MNF anymore.  I’d rather listen to NFL radio or NFLN.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I'll give you a hint.  She's a minority.

BTW, please my friend I hope you didn't take offense to my post.  I've known you around here for so long I just felt comfortable joking.  It is actually kind of a cool story. 

However, Royale, honestly I had to sit and think about this for awhile...I came to the realization that I truly have not watched ESPN for years.  If they weren't there before 4-5 years ago I don't know who they are, and anything less than a decade is a strain for me.

I mean I still love sports, but really I love football most and watch the NFL Network, moreso GMFB.  And the most grating thing to me, sports wise, is TV sports talk.  I actually don't mind sports talk radio, but I don't watch any pre-lead up on games on account of the fact that I find them so stupid.  Documentaries?  yes, I am all in, but the other stuff...

Media:  "So and so, you are so very great.  How did you get to be so great?!"

So and so: "Hard work."

Media: "ARE YOU S***TING US?! Unbelievable!  When we get back from the break we are going to crawl inside the mind of 43 year old Tom Brady, because we just don't know enough about him and need to find out what makes him tick!"

I mean for F*** sake.  🙄  I am closer to the end of my life than the beginning and I truly don't have time for that s*** anymore.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1