Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

403 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow, that's hard to read, but I think it's exactly right.  The point I always miss is that money will be tight in a few years, and this is preparation for that time.  Thanks. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out picking several players who play the same position early in back to back drafts. Without the luxury of players developing behind starters - if all our prospect DE's from this and the last draft pan out and all those rookie deals come to an end and the 5th year options or long-term contracts come calling....

I guess having all those guys pan out would be a good problem to have, if we have that many players they want to keep. Will make for some tough decisions, but I expect the Bills will end up with more than a few compensatory picks down the road if they continue to have success and stay on the same trajectory.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at

I like this draft because I see the intelligence of everything McBeane do.   They're confident and competent.  They're fearless.  They know what they want.   They know they aren't going to solve every

Overall my impression of this offseason in general, not just the draft:   Beane to DL and DL coach:  "You guys had better light your fires and get after the QB, or you're outta here and we'l

Posted Images

If I had someway of knowing our RB1/2 would be Moss/Breida, that would change a lot in how I view this team.  

I know Singletary has a nice story about how hard he’s working this off-season, and that’s great, but I’d feel better knowing he has to win the position back.   

• Like (+1) 1
Posted (edited)

I've been in and out of this thread since it started.  Haven't read everything.

While I was away, I had this thought:  How will you feel if in three years the Bills are starting two defensive ends, two tackles and a guard from this draft?  

Edited by Shaw66
Just now, Shaw66 said:

While I was away, I had this thought:  How will you feel if the Bills are starting two defensive ends, two tackles and a guard from this draft?  

Terrified because it means Dawkins and Williams are injured

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
7 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I don’t get the “long run” argument. This team is ready to win NOW. Another playmaker could have taken us over the top and allowed us to keep up with teams like the chiefs. 

Its just a defensive statement. We make a move to get Diggs and its great move, we are in it to win it. We dont make the big move and it's you need to focus on the long term and follow the process. I can guarantee you the people that are saying they love this draft and it makes perfect sense, would be saying the same thing head we traded tons of picks and went the opposite route, but said we are in win now mode and needed impact players, the 3-7 round picks the next few years will never make the roster anyway, etc. etc. 

• Agree 1
8 minutes ago, WideNine said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out picking several players who play the same position early in back to back drafts. Without the luxury of players developing behind starters - if all our prospect DE's from this and the last draft pan out and all those rookie deals come to an end and the 5th year options or long-term contracts come calling....

I guess having all those guys pan out would be a good problem to have, if we have that many players they want to keep. Will make for some tough decisions, but I expect the Bills will end up with more than a few compensatory picks down the road if they continue to have success and stay on the same trajectory.

Comp picks and trades.  Just keep piling up talent, let McDermott figure out how to use it well.   As you say, it's a good problem to have.

• Agree 1

1.  Re-sign your own UFAs that you want to retain.

2.  Sign/Trade for new veteran talent.

3.  Keep players you project will improve in the coming year.

4.  Draft

5.  Sign UDFA for camp and hope for a hit.

6.  Tweek the roster.

7.  Cuts/Trades/Signings at cutdown day.

8  Sign up the Practice Squad.

I always look at the offseason this way.  Draft is just one leg of the total journey.

Waiting till the final roster is the only thing I want to compare from the previous year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
42 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

How do you know they didn't listen to anyone here? You'd be surprised to find out who's on this board.😎

I know there are a few qualified people on the board. But the majority are drunk 2 am video game gm's. Me included.

• Haha (+1) 2
2 minutes ago, InEnemyTerritory said:

Terrified because it means Dawkins and Williams are injured

Whoops.  I should have proofread.   I fixed it. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

While I was away, I had this thought:  How will you feel if the Bills are starting two defensive ends, two tackles and a guard from this draft?  

Good, but not as good even better if we had a starting edge, CB2, TE and future FS/SS and some OL depth. 

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I think the Bills should have grabbed a RB.

After Etienne went way earlier than we drafted, it was pretty much good night on RBs. 

Javonte Williams at 30 would’ve sent this place into a death spiral.  

After he went, it was basically a bunch of dudes no better than what we have. 

• Agree 2

I know this is a lame assessment, but if Rousseau and Basham don’t pan out into NFL starters within the next 2-3 years, the draft should be viewed as a failure. 

I am totally fine with Beane being aggressive and taking higher ceiling players with more risk/rawness. But you can’t routinely miss on the first two rounds. His track record so far in those two rounds seems to suggest more misses (and mehs) than hits. 

I sort of struggle with what I want out of a GM. For a while, my view was you take the least bustable/least risky guys in those first two rounds. But you also have to have superstar impact players to really go to the next level. So, I have come around to supporting drafting philosophy that balances risk among other factors. 

I am not farmiliar with a single guy the bills drafted, so I have no clue if this draft was good or not. As always, we'll see when the season comes 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I know this is a lame assessment, but if Rousseau and Basham don’t pan out into NFL starters within the next 2-3 years, the draft should be viewed as a failure. 

I am totally fine with Beane being aggressive and taking higher ceiling players with more risk/rawness. But you can’t routinely miss on the first two rounds. His track record so far in those two rounds seems to suggest more misses (and mehs) than hits. 

I sort of struggle with what I want out of a GM. For a while, my view was you take the least bustable/least risky guys in those first two rounds. But you also have to have superstar impact players to really go to the next level. So, I have come around to supporting drafting philosophy that balances risk among other factors. 

Hitting on QB covers up a lot of other issues, and Beane has made a bunch of strong FA moves/trades/nice draft picks BUT yes... Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa, Rousseau and Basham is a big time investment into the Front 7... It’s time for Edmunds, Oliver and Epenesa to grow up this year. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I didn’t get my big fat tub of goo for the NT, but oh well.

There's a long way to go.  They still may get one in a trade, late cuts.  They have a plan, no doubt.  

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I didn’t get my big fat tub of goo for the NT, but oh well.

Big fat tub of goo at NT? Already have that covered.