RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

Everything about Spencer Brown screams long term Bills staple that is a perennial fan favorite. Think Eric Wood or Kyle Williams. I have a feeling 3 years from now we'll be thankful he fell so far.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

IDK why so many are doubting that Beane will address CB in some capacity. When has he just threw his hands up and said "oh well, let's hope this is good enough"? Every year he brings in proven vets to compete at spots that didn't get addressed through the draft to his liking, this year will be no different.

Also, its not a given that Wallace has plateaued, and Johnson is more than solid in the Nickel role. Levi was a UDFA, Taron 5th round, stop sleeping on the mastermind and... trust the process.  

There are decent options still floating around in FA.

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

ive always been the loudest advocate of getting young OTs reps in that role instead of carrying such a specialized tight end that’s 100% a blocker. 

he’s a great prospect for that role. Even if he never goes out on a route for real 

i agree.

i think this is the plan. imagine a jump ball in the redzone to this guy. throw him in there while he develops it will get him good reps and be a pretty unique tool to use in situations.

57 minutes ago, Logic said:

image.thumb.png.388a7803d9d2440ff4ccb5cfb4119ad9.png

Holy *****. I've never seen someone with a "10" RAS before.  He ranked NUMBER ONE out of 1143 OT prospects in RAS between 1987 and 2021

😯

It's like make your own player in Madden

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

He strictly breaks down OL 

That's a helluva compliment!

Well... this means maybe he can be our swing tackle and learn from our newly resigned RT for a couple years and start in year 3 and become an excellent starter right away.

As long as the rest of our OL is really good for the next 2 years.... I'm good with that.

Off called him the most athletic OL in the draft

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-ol-superlativesbest-feet-most-versatile-best-pass-sets

“This one was hotly contested this draft season. Illinois’ Kendrick Green (36-inch vertical and 9-foot-11 broad jump) as well as Texas’ Sam Cosmi (4.87-second 40, 36 bench reps, and 7.35-second three-cone) both had all-time pro-day figures in their own right.

But it was Brown who put up arguably the single freakiest offensive line testing figure we’ve ever seen. He ran a 6.96 three-cone at 311 pounds. That’s the fastest ever recorded for an offensive lineman. To put that into perspective, Antonio Brown only ran a 6.98 three-cone coming out of Central Michigan.

Spencer Brown is a pure project at this point, but you won’t find better project tools.”

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He strictly breaks down OL 

That's a helluva compliment!

You might be thinking of this guy (strictly breaks down OL)... here is his take 

Timing is perfect for Daryl Williams contract. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Don't hate the pick but I wanted Melifonwu. Immediate starter and solid CB2.  We are lacking at CB.

Melifonwu is the latest local college player to get pushed up draft boards by Bills fans who know the school. Crazy enough some fans even wanted him in the 1st round. All because he plays for Syracuse and became a trendy name around here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Melifonwu is the latest local college player to get pushed up draft boards by Bills fans who know the school. Crazy enough some fans even wanted him in the 1st round. All because he plays for Syracuse and became a trendy name around here.

I don’t understand the obsession with that guy 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah. I've read for three rounds running now how Beane is a fool, first for passing on Melifonwu in the 1st round, then for passing on him again in the 2nd round, then for passing on him again in the 3rd. Lo and behold, he didn't go until the late compensatory section of the 3rd round.

People's refusal to back down from their draft crushes is weird sometimes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I got to say, if he could run routes and catch, I don't know how you cover him.

But if he could run routes and catch, that would probably have occurred to his coaches in college

I was being a bit facetious with my comment but in all truthfulness, he could possibly see the field as a tackle-eligible receiver.  Dion Dawkins has a TD catch to his credit.

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I was being a bit facetious with my comment but in all truthfulness, he could possibly see the field as a tackle-eligible receiver.  Dion Dawkins has a TD catch to his credit.

Josh and Spencer are some country boys and you know they will throw the ball around some in practice.

If Spencer can catch Josh's passes you know they will put in plays for him.