RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don’t see him growing 2 inches at age 21. Typically when I see players have growth spurts in the NBA they are around 19 or 20. 

Have you not seen Derrick Henry?  Frickin Man Child! He was 6'2 238lbs when he got drafted... he's 6'4 248lbs now... 

Some dudes are just big & keeps getting bigger by 24yr

Edited by Scorp83
Typo

I never watched Rousseau in college. But based on a few opinions I've heard on this board and with the media, I'm intrigued.

Watching his highlights and now understanding his reach, stripping/batting abilities, nose for the QB, etc. what else could Beane have done in terms of need (besides possibly trading down) at 30? A DE prospect that can play inside as well? If this kid proves he can progress in the NFL and our coaches succeed with teaching him, he has a ton of potential.

I'm all in with this franchise and their current drafting abilities. They started a small run on DEs at the end of the 1st, which makes me wonder. I have a feeling this was the best pick in that moment. We'll see...

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

How about a cautiously optimistic option in the poll.

Agreed.
we need at least 4 more options in this poll SDS
perhaps six.
Mark me on the + side with cautiously optimistic ^ with a side of hopeful , slathered in trust

24 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

I never watched Rousseau in college. But based on a few opinions I've heard on this board and with the media, I'm intrigued.

Watching his highlights and now understanding his reach, stripping/batting abilities, nose for the QB, etc. what else could Beane have done in terms of need (besides possibly trading down) at 30? A DE prospect that can play inside as well? If this kid proves he can progress in the NFL and our coaches succeed with teaching him, he has a ton of potential.

I'm all in with this franchise and their current drafting abilities. They started a small run on DEs at the end of the 1st, which makes me wonder. I have a feeling this was the best pick in that moment. We'll see...

I would have picked him at 30 over the 3 or 4 prospects he was measured against.
Looks the the smart move by Beane. He trusts his Defensive Coaching staff to develop this kid. Perhaps we should too ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I would have picked him at 30 over the 3 or 4 prospects he was measured against.
Looks the the smart move by Beane. He trusts his Defensive Coaching staff to develop this kid. Perhaps we should too ?

If that's a question to me, I'll repeat what I said: I'm all in with this franchise and their current drafting abilities.

And now, with Rousseau AND Basham? Wow...

2 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

If that's a question to me, I'll repeat what I said: I'm all in with this franchise and their current drafting abilities.

And now, with Rousseau AND Basham? Wow...

For the General Population my friend.

And why I responded.

I agree

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't get a lot of this.  I mean, the Bills pass rush wasn't good enough last season, but please, a little objectivity.  First, Hughes played 64% of the snaps, which is less than the starters on all the teams that don't platoon seriously.  So, there's that.  

Then there's the fact that Hughes was at or near the top of the league in QB pressures, which is the more important stat.  

Next, it's very obvious that rookies don't start game one in Buffalo.  Edmunds is the exception.  The Bills expect a lot of their players, and rookies rarely master enough, especially on the defense, to start early in their rookie year.  Addison and Hughes have knowledge about the game and knowledge about their assignments in the Frazier-McD defense that no rookie will have.  

If Rousseau turns out to be an ordinary first round pick for the Bills, he'll gradually increased snaps over the course of the year, a lot like Epenesa.  If he actually takes the starting job from one of the vets, then the pick is a homerun.

Ok so we have basham now. So do you believe that Hughes Addison or Epenesa is gone? Does this mean Epenesa wasn’t a good pick? Or is Addison who took a pay cut to stay gone? Mabe Hughes isn’t that good anymore? But you can’t keep all of them. Number one paid d line in football and can’t stop the run or get to the qb. Name something elite that this pass rush has done? Name something that says number one paid d line in football?  If you are paying a d line that much I would like to be in the top 16 not the bottom 16! Not even top 10 in a category. 

6 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

Ok so we have basham now. So do you believe that Hughes Addison or Epenesa is gone? Does this mean Epenesa wasn’t a good pick? Or is Addison who took a pay cut to stay gone? Mabe Hughes isn’t that good anymore? But you can’t keep all of them. Number one paid d line in football and can’t stop the run or get to the qb. Name something elite that this pass rush has done? Name something that says number one paid d line in football?  If you are paying a d line that much I would like to be in the top 16 not the bottom 16! Not even top 10 in a category. 

My, my.  What got you all excited?   All I said was that you were badly understating the quality of Hughes and Addison.  But since you asked:

Epenesa is definitely not gone.  Hughes or Addison might be.  Or they might all stay.  They play four DEs, and they might carry five.  And there may be plans to play one or another at DT.   I don't know. 

Beane drafts BPA; this wasn't a plan that they had.   They liked both of them, both guys were certainly the BPA on their board when they picked.   I'm sure Beane and McDermott talked today, before they made the pick and probably this afternoon when Beane was stufy possible scenarios.   Beane asked McD whether he would be okay if Basham was the pick, and McD said yes.   If you ask them tonight what they're going to do, they'll say they don't know, but they like competition and they'll figure it out.  

There's just no reason to be all hot about it.  Bills D line underperformed last season, and Beane is going to do something about it.  What's not to like about that?

4 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Have you not seen Derrick Henry?  Frickin Man Child! He was 6'2 238lbs when he got drafted... he's 6'4 248lbs now... 

Some dudes are just big & keeps getting bigger by 24yr

Derrick Henry was listed at 6 foot 3 when coming out the draft and he is still listed at 6 foot 3. It isn’t impossible a guy can grow an inch at age 21 or 22 just not very likely. The players to do so in the NBA were usually 19 or 20.

On 4/30/2021 at 12:23 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Ironically, on the play cited here as evidence of Rousseau's underrated ability to "bend around the edge to get sacks," he doesn't really bend AT ALL. He is objectively, comically upright, in fact, given the claim this example is meant to illustrate. Rousseau beats the RT to the outside, sure. But not with any dip or bend, as advertised. 

No clue if that's a trend in his "tape," or just a poorly chosen clip. 

Does Rousseau have the get-off, body control, and ankle flex to bend the edge? I hope so. Would love to see footage that says so.

• Like (+1) 1