RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Anyone who doesn’t like the pick needs to hit up the Locked on Bills podcast from today. Marino spoke with Brently Weissman (former scout, works at TDN) and he raved about Rous.

Wow.  Listen to Weissman.   He says Rousseau is so unusual that Weissman wouldn't be surprised if Rousseau start from day one.  He didn't say that would happen, but he thinks the guy has attributes that are unteachable.  In any case, he thinks Rousseau is at least a sub-package player rushing from the edge on third downs.   He also thinks Rousseau may be a devastating 3-tech tackle.   He thinks the peculiar skills he has just can't be handled by NFL guards, so if Rousseau isn't perfect on the edge, Weissman says the Bills can put some weight on Rousseau play him inside.   

He was just raving about him, and this is a former NFL scout, not a Bills homer.  

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What did they expect him to bench with those go go gadget arms

So I just want to comment on our 1st round pick after some of the dust settled and formulate my synopsis.

1.  He needs to add some muscle and work on his agility.

2.  He probably will be brought around slow in the 1st half of the season.

3.  He has played other positions so his time as a DL is limited. (14 games in 2 seasons).

4.  First impression is he could easily be a "process" guy.

5.  Has a high ceiling and unusual physical skills but will take time to get there (if he ever does).

6.  Seems that if he doesn't improve where needed his floor could be a little lower than you would want from a 1st round pick.

7.  He will most likely have to start performing well in the 2022 season.

I get other fans wanting Beane to draft another player (me included) but it is a need position so I'm OK with that.

It seems to me nobody can say how this will pan out for at least a year.

I can be patient.

On to the 2nd round!  Kind of hoping a CB is there.

1 hour ago, chknwing334 said:

This is simply not true in any way.  How can anyone with a shred of objectivity completely discount 15 sacks in a season? If all of his sacks were just a case of the QB holding the ball too long, Why didn't every average  DE have 15 sacks against those same QBs?  Every player accumulates some of their sacks on those types of plays.  Do you think that other prospects never had the luxury of good coverage or a QB holding the ball?  

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/chris-simms-unbuttoned/id1454809704?i=1000515378029

listen from 1:19:00 it’s about 2-3 minutes long. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

So I just want to comment on our 1st round pick after some of the dust settled and formulate my synopsis.

1.  He needs to add some muscle and work on his agility.

2.  He probably will be brought around slow in the 1st half of the season.

3.  He has played other positions so his time as a DL is limited. (14 games in 2 seasons).

4.  First impression is he could easily be a "process" guy.

5.  Has a high ceiling and unusual physical skills but will take time to get there (if he ever does).

6.  Seems that if he doesn't improve where needed his floor could be a little lower than you would want from a 1st round pick.

7.  He will most likely have to start performing well in the 2022 season.

I get other fans wanting Beane to draft another player (me included) but it is a need position so I'm OK with that.

It seems to me nobody can say how this will pan out for at least a year.

I can be patient.

On to the 2nd round!  Kind of hoping a CB is there.

Ultimately it’s a league where you need to constantly be added pass catchers, pass rushers, and pass defenders in the secondary.

all 3 spots are important (expensive) and depth guys constantly contribute 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Pros:

Position of need

High ceiling

Cons:

Bit of a reach (consensus seems to be late 1st to late 2nd rounder) 

Opting out of 2020 season. Will he be ready to make an impact in 2021? How is his work ethic? 

Feels like we could've traded down 10-15 picks and still very likely been able to pick him. Maybe Beane was trying and couldn't find a trade partner? 

I thought maybe someone would trade up for that linebacker.  But considering pass rushers went the next 2 picks, and teams probably saw them as likely pass rush destinations - you really needed someone to want a specific pass rusher and I don't think anyone was biting.

Was trying to think of player comps and Carlos Dunlap came to mind, so I looked him up.

• Gregory Rousseau
    • Height: 6'6"
    • Weight: 266 lbs.
    • Arm length: 33.75"
    • Hand size: 11"
    • 40 yard dash: 4.69 sec.
    • Vertical: 30"
    • Bench press: 21
    • Broad jump: 9'7"
    • Shuttle: 4.45 sec.
    • 3 cone: 7.5 sec.

• Carlos Dunlap:
    • Weight: 278 lbs.
    • Arm length: 34.5"
    • Hand size: 10"
    • 40 yard dash: 4.68 sec.
    • Vertical: 31.5"
    • Broad jump: 9'3"
    • Shuttle: 4.61
    • 3 cone: 7.21

Obviously measurables aren't everything, but you gotta start somewhere. If he turns into a Dunlap-esque type player, I'd be pretty happy with the pick. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Anyone who doesn’t like the pick needs to hit up the Locked on Bills podcast from today. Marino spoke with Brently Weissman (former scout, works at TDN) and he raved about Rous.

One mans opinion, but it took me from “meh, we’ll see” to “let’s ***** go!”

Good listen - thank you

I could not help but think Jonah Hill listening to that last guest haha

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  Listen to Weissman.   He says Rousseau is so unusual that Weissman wouldn't be surprised if Rousseau start from day one.  He didn't say that would happen, but he thinks the guy has attributes that are unteachable.  In any case, he thinks Rousseau is at least a sub-package player rushing from the edge on third downs.   He also thinks Rousseau may be a devastating 3-tech tackle.   He thinks the peculiar skills he has just can't be handled by NFL guards, so if Rousseau isn't perfect on the edge, Weissman says the Bills can put some weight on Rousseau play him inside.   

He was just raving about him, and this is a former NFL scout, not a Bills homer.  

I mean not for nothing but being a year out from playing he may of be further along than we think from training over the year.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Now get a CB and a NT/1T on day 2.  Then add depth.

I feel the same way.  Just thinking out loud, how many DL do we expect Beane/McDermott to keep?

Adding 2 puts them in the 10 category unless Johnson is cut (slight chance he would take a PS spot) and/or Butler/Phillips cut.

I'm thinking the most they keep on the 53 is 9 (is that wrong)?

Edited by ColoradoBills

3 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Was trying to think of player comps and Carlos Dunlap came to mind, so I looked him up.

• Gregory Rousseau
    • Weight: 266 lbs.
    • Arm length: 33.75"
    • Hand size: 11"
    • 40 yard dash: 4.69 sec.
    • Vertical: 30"
    • Broad jump: 9'7"
    • Shuttle: 4.45 sec.
    • 3 cone: 7.5 sec.

• Carlos Dunlap:
    • Weight: 278 lbs.
    • Arm length: 34.5"
    • Hand size: 10"
    • 40 yard dash: 4.68 sec.
    • Vertical: 31.5"
    • Broad jump: 9'3"
    • Shuttle: 4.61
    • 3 cone: 7.21

Obviously measurables aren't everything, but you gotta start somewhere. If he turns into a Dunlap-esque type player, I'd be pretty happy with the pick. 

Also, here's Dunlap's highlights from 2019 (I just found a random video from YT, no particular reason why I picked this one). 

A number of the plays look like plays that Rousseau made during his 15-sack season (bull rushes, inside moves, using his long arms to disrupt plays, etc.)

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

When you step back away from the pick without the emotions or what ifs, he fits Beane's first round profile to a T, the Intangibles:

athleticism (RAS)

Size and length

Room to grow into his frame

Younger than 22 -23

Hard worker (spent time watching film)

Cares about his family

(Not sure on wrestling background or faith)

Feeling the coaches can develop to his potential

Look for these characteristics in rd 2 and 3 in positions of need, Beane will move for them...

The players available at this pick, edge did stick out and we got in before balt and tb did. These are project guys, but the value is there. I do wonder if Newsome was there if that would have been the pick. I didn't think about Rousseau because I didn't expect him to be there as a realistic pick. I expected the edge guys to get overdrafted a bit. It's a fine pick for #30.

Rousseau will be custom made for the Bills system, and he will contribute right away,

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I don't think he is, but this sounds an awful lot like Maybin. It just wasn't all that strong of a class for defensive line, so it is what it is. Hopefully he develops fast to help now instead of years down the line. 

It's easy to see a young, inexperienced DE and be concerned ala Maybin #2. 

A couple items to note.  This kid is 3" taller and carrying 30-35 more lbs on his frame and at 21 may not be done filling out.  Rousseau is a Speed to Power rusher who can do two things Maybin never could - beat Double teams and seal the edge. 

An added benefit is Rousseau can move inside on 3rd down and Bills can use Mario and Jerry outside with this kid and Ed Oliver inside for a Turbo package 4 man rush ala 2007 Giants.  Pressure - especially up the middle - is a killer.  Using Epenesa and Rousseau inside also puts a 6'6" player and 6'7" player into a QBs middle of the field quick hit passing lanes.  With the Bills DBs and LBs playing a QB facing zone D, tipped passes have a high probability of being picked off.  So even if they don't sack or pressure a QB to throw it away, these 2 tall DEs playing inside on passing zones could knock down or tip a couple passes per game.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

It's easy to see a young, inexperienced DE and be concerned ala Maybin #2. 

A couple items to note.  This kid is 3" taller and carrying 30-35 more lbs on his frame and at 21 may not be done filling out.  Rousseau is a Speed to Power rusher who can do two things Maybin never could - beat Double teams and seal the edge. 

An added benefit is Rousseau can move inside on 3rd down and Bills can use Mario and Jerry outside with this kid and Ed Oliver inside for a Turbo package 4 man rush ala 2007 Giants.  Pressure - especially up the middle - is a killer.  Using Epenesa and Rousseau inside also puts a 6'6" player and 6'7" player into a QBs middle of the field quick hit passing lanes.  With the Bills DBs and LBs playing a QB facing zone D, tipped passes have a high probability of being picked off.  So even if they don't sack or pressure a QB to throw it away, these 2 tall DEs playing inside on passing zones could knock down or tip a couple passes per game.

Maybin is an aberration at this point. Beane & co did their homework.