RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

The eroding issue with the Patriots wasn't their drafting strategy so much as it was the accumulation of mediocre drafting. Their body of work in drafting over the years was the core reason why this team sunk. Brady recognized it and smartly used his leverage to get out of the house that had a lot of holes in the roof.  

Brady had already reached a pinnacle few have achieved...winning and continued glory.

Rousseau looks slow but like his 10 yard split and 40 tell you otherwise.  Every other DE under 4.7 on the 40 are athletic except Rousseau.  He is unconventional, but productive.  Give him some technique and coaching he could be a beast.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is why people need to be on board with a pick like Greg Rousseau.

Yes, there is plenty of risk involved with a guy who has played one season on the DL in college at age 19.

But in the NFL you CAN go broke just making a profit early in the draft.    You need to replenish franchise difference makers.  

The Butler Bills tended to pick guys with low ceilings and impact potential early........perhaps with the idea being that they already had their impact players.    That's what allowed the Patriots to come up from behind and take them down as their stars aged out.

The first round of the draft should be for guys who would cost you $20M per season if they pan out...........not to fill the "need of the hour" like a frickin' RB.:doh:

And with the 9th pick in 2010 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills select CJ Spiller !!!! 

13 hours ago, Logic said:

I liked the Rousseau and Basham picks this year, and I liked the Epenesa pick last year.

My only concern is that all three guys seem to be the same type of player: base ends who will set the edge well on 1st and 2nd down, but who then would be best suited to reduce down to the interior on 3rd down. That versatility is great, of course, but I fear that starting in 2022 (assuming Hughes and Addison are gone), we still won't have that pure arc-running, edge-bending pass rush threat on the edge. It's great that all three of our youngsters at edge can rush from the interior effectively, but we still don't seem to have that twitchy right end who can bend the arc.

Any of the three could prove me wrong, of course. Maybe my concern will prove to be unfounded, but I'm a little hesitant to think, even with three high picks invested at EDGE, that the Bills have definitely solved their problems there going forward.

I dont see Greg R. going inside near as much as people think he will........I think he is going to be an edge and only an edge.....and a good one.

I can see Basham doing this....but the body types on these players are different.  I see Basham being a justin jefferson type player.......not the one that played here the one that played in Seattle

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Logic said:

I liked the Rousseau and Basham picks this year, and I liked the Epenesa pick last year.

My only concern is that all three guys seem to be the same type of player: base ends who will set the edge well on 1st and 2nd down, but who then would be best suited to reduce down to the interior on 3rd down. That versatility is great, of course, but I fear that starting in 2022 (assuming Hughes and Addison are gone), we still won't have that pure arc-running, edge-bending pass rush threat on the edge. It's great that all three of our youngsters at edge can rush from the interior effectively, but we still don't seem to have that twitchy right end who can bend the arc.

Any of the three could prove me wrong, of course. Maybe my concern will prove to be unfounded, but I'm a little hesitant to think, even with three high picks invested at EDGE, that the Bills have definitely solved their problems there going forward.

This sounds right to me. I see Basham and Epenesa turning into quality players. Not stars, though. Oliver is the only one with that potential, it seems to me. But Rousseau... I defer to Bean's judgment, but that pick looks very iffy to me. He just doesn't seem to move very well. No burst or change of direction, not a lot of power, at least compared to Basham and others. A lanky guy who'll hold the edge and get there eventually with his long arms. This draft will have "legs," but I don't think Rousseau is going to make it. I really want to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, finn said:

This sounds right to me. I see Basham and Epenesa turning into quality players. Not stars, though. Oliver is the only one with that potential, it seems to me. But Rousseau... I defer to Bean's judgment, but that pick looks very iffy to me. He just doesn't seem to move very well. No burst or change of direction, not a lot of power, at least compared to Basham and others. A lanky guy who'll hold the edge and get there eventually with his long arms. This draft will have "legs," but I don't think Rousseau is going to make it. I really want to be wrong. 

Well here’s something we all know for sure. With FOUR of these young high draft picks (Oliver, Epenesa, Bashan, Groot) along the D Line it’s not going to be possible to hide them. They’re ALL going to have to be playing major minutes in a year or so. We’re definitely going to see what we have! 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont see Greg R. going inside near as much as people think he will........I think he is going to be an edge and only an edge.....and a good one.

I can see Basham doing this....but the body types on these players are different.  I see Basham being a justin jefferson type player.......not the one that played here the one that played in Seattle

I saw that GR played DT often in college and got several of his sacksin 2019 there.  I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked him inside now and then.

And you mean Quinton Jefferson?

1 hour ago, finn said:

No burst? He had one of the fastest 10:yard splits for a DE. Lanky?? Yes, he’s tall, but he’s also 270lbs. As far as his movement skills, remember he played receiver and safety in H.S. Some thought Bruuuce was gonna bust when he was drafted. Trust the process

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

I saw that GR played DT often in college and got several of his sacksin 2019 there.  I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked him inside now and then.

And you mean Quinton Jefferson?

You don't think GR is too skinny for DT in the NFL?  

50 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

You don't think GR is too skinny for DT in the NFL?  

There's a difference between "DT in the NFL" and "occasional 2nd/3rd down & long interior rusher in the NFL".

Edit: grammar

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I respect your take. On the other hand, Brandon Beane said in his presser with regard to Rousseau's role for the Bills: "he'll start out at end, but you'll see him reduce down inside on 3rd downs". 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

With Rousseau I don’t see the flexibility to bend the edge or the change of direction that’ll allow him to get to a QB in the pocket.  He tested poorly with regards to COD and even his highlight roll doesn’t show either.  He should be fine at DE for contain, but if he’s going after the QB from there it’ll be by looping inside like Clowney does. Might as well just start him there on obvious passing downs and not have to worry about him leaving a void on the edge.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

With Rousseau I don’t see the flexibility to bend the edge or the change of direction that’ll allow him to get to a QB in the pocket.  He tested poorly with regards to COD and even his highlight roll doesn’t show either.  He should be fine at DE for contain, but if he’s going after the QB from there it’ll be by looping inside like Clowney does. Might as well just start him there on obvious passing downs and not have to worry about him leaving a void on the edge.

The kid is bambi wth one season and didnt even play DE in high school.....so much growth from him still.   If he puts on weight he could be Mario Williams

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The kid is bambi wth one season and didnt even play DE in high school.....so much growth from him still.   If he puts on weight he could be Mario Williams

JFC. You can’t be serious 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Bambi! LOL...

QYK9IYQwIkhFZ3gaX5R4W4mXM1Veggsww4oFQ25p

On 5/3/2021 at 9:30 AM, Doc said:

Yeah, Cowart was lost by a cheap shot in that TB game in 2001 I believe it was.  

I was actually at that game - visting my brother.  It is crazy how good Cowart was playing at that point, then to just have it all end on one play - so sad.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

There's a difference between "DT in the NFL" and "occasional 2nd/3rd down & long interior rusher in the NFL".

Edit: grammar

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Is he the Devonta Smith of DL?

He has some skinny azz legs, it's ok to admit it.

Edited by Tenhigh