How did Joe do?

How did Joe do?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the government to be more or less involved in your life

• More
    • Less

Why beat around the bush?  He pretty much guaranteed the 2nd Amendment was safe.  For some reason Fox didn't even need to show a sigh of relief.  90% of their viewers would have loved that NEWS. Instead they pulled out the normal bag of lies.  

My personal opinion?  We do need gun legislation, BUT, imo the Constitution says that our right to bear ANY arms shall not be infringed unless the gov't uses Artice 5.  All laws on weapons are wrong, imo as per the American Constitution.  I don't need any scholars to interpret one simple sentence for me.  

Other than 2nd Amendment what specific rights did you think Biden was going to take?

Edited by daz28
  • Dislike 1

I can't believe over 50% voted for the gov't to have more control that's ridiculous if that's what you want for someone to control or take care of you why did you move away from mommy & daddy ?

There's a time when you need to get off the tit and stand on you r own 2 feet and go out & EARN or make you down way in life instead of being sheeple and having someone take you by the hand & lead you around or tell you how your suppose to do things .

At 18 i couldn't wait to get out on my own and make my own decisions for myself I watched & learned from my parents growing up took the good implemented that & hopefully learned from the mistakes they made as to not do the same as they did and once i left i cut the cord .

I would occasionally ask for their advice but ultimately i was my own person making up my mind and making my own decisions and i don't need the gov't that has proven they can't even balance the check book they have been left in charge of for the country to tell me what how to do things maybe that's why my house will be paid for this year & all my cars are mine .

If you all that voted for more gov't control andl truly want that please move to Canada where in Montreal now they have a curfew of 8 o'clock mask mandates & they can't travel with in their own country oh & if your really lazy & just don't want to work they will pay for your health care, food stamps, housing, electric, and all other things and you can just be a slug & live off those that you gave the control and the backs of the other citizens that do work

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, T master said:

There's a time when you need to get off the tit and stand on you r own 2 feet and go out 7 EARN or make you down way in life instead of being sheeple and having someone take you by the hand & lead you around or tell you how your suppose to do things .

Unless you are born into a buttload of wealth - then you deserve it all, right?

2 minutes ago, Melon said:

Unless you are born into a buttload of wealth - then you deserve it all, right?

No there are those that were born into big money that now because of their own decisions live beneath a bridge . T.O. made $80+ million and at one point and was said to be broke at one point because of his own bad decisions .

The only thing we are guaranteed is life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness and the last is what you do with the first 2 through hard work and money although is nice to have doesn't make you happy .

I would rather be poor and have my freedom to make my own decisions and do with what i have what i want rather than be rich and be told what, how and when to do things isn't that why the founding fathers wanted to be free from England yet here we are allowing the exact same things that we fought to get away from .

What's worse is today especially the young people openly want to be controlled or told what to do rather than stand on their own 2 feet and work for what they want and be taken care of by big brother .

We deserve only what we work for just because we live in America doesn't mean we are entitled to anything that is what those that are less than motivated believe .

Just because i am American i deserve to be entitled to it all and today no longer need to work for what i get but should be given it by those in control so i can sit and play video games and watch the internet all day ...

1 minute ago, T master said:

No there are those that were born into big money that now because of their own decisions live beneath a bridge . T.O. made $80+ million and at one point and was said to be broke at one point because of his own bad decisions .

The only thing we are guaranteed is life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness and the last is what you do with the first 2 through hard work and money although is nice to have doesn't make you happy .

I would rather be poor and have my freedom to make my own decisions and do with what i have what i want rather than be rich and be told what, how and when to do things isn't that why the founding fathers wanted to be free from England yet here we are allowing the exact same things that we fought to get away from .

What's worse is today especially the young people openly want to be controlled or told what to do rather than stand on their own 2 feet and work for what they want and be taken care of by big brother .

We deserve only what we work for just because we live in America doesn't mean we are entitled to anything that is what those that are less than motivated believe .

Just because i am American i deserve to be entitled to it all and today no longer need to work for what i get but should be given it by those in control so i can sit and play video games and watch the internet all day ...

Simply, your existence entitles you to nothing more than life, liberty, and the freedom to make your own fate and think for yourself.  But we're in an era where an epidemic of entitlement is everywhere driven by the idea somebody else better off "owes" you something.   

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, T master said:

Great example of someone who wasn't born into big money. 

2 hours ago, Melon said:

Great example of someone who wasn't born into big money. 

Define big money.  It's not hard to become financially independent in this country.  

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Good job Joe! 

Made the cry babies cry, so that's a good start :) 

And THIS is exactly one of the big reasons we loved Trump.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/us/politics/joe-biden-government-plans.html?smid=url-share

Reading the NYT this morning — that Biden made "costly proposals" that "amount to a risky gamble that a country polarized along ideological and cultural lines is ready for a more activist government." Was that something America voted for last autumn? Obviously, not. It doesn't seem fair to spring this on us now.

Invoking the legacy of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Mr. Biden unveiled a $1.8 trillion social spending plan to accompany previous proposals to build roads and bridges, expand other social programs and combat climate change, representing a fundamental reorientation of the role of government not seen since the days of Lyndon B. Johnson’s Great Society and Roosevelt’s New Deal.

He should have had to run on that plan. Why did he beat Bernie? If this was to be the plan, we deserved a chance to vote for Bernie — or not. But the moderate, Biden, was pushed to the fore, pushed out in front of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, who forthrightly represented this kind of government. Maybe one of them would have beaten Trump, but the Democratic Party edged them aside and gave us the seemingly innocuous Biden. It was an offer to get us back into balance, back to normal. It was a con. 

Oh, but perhaps, everyone knew it was a con, so America really did vote for this.

“We have to prove democracy still works, that our government still works and we can deliver for our people,” Mr. Biden said in his first nationally televised address to a joint session of Congress.

Prove democracy still works by only doing what you told us you'd do, back when we voted.  

Senator Mitt Romney of Utah, one of the more moderate Republicans that Mr. Biden needs if he has any hope of forging bipartisan support, used another metaphor. “Maybe if he were younger, I’d say his dad needs to take away the credit card,” Mr. Romney told reporters.

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/04/i-didnt-watch-bidens-speech-last-night.html

2 hours ago, T master said:

I'm voting for anyone who will bring me closer to a having my own floatie chair.

walle-hoverchair10.jpg

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I didn't watch it, but from what I understand Joe wants to spend a ton of money on a whole lot of stuff. Throw a few more trillion on the pile of American debt. Go for it Joe!   Let's get it done!  Just don't ask me to pay for it.

You didn't mind what Trump did to our debt the past four years though, right?

US-Gross-National-Debt-2011-2020-05-06-r

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Define big money.  It's not hard to become financially independent in this country.  

And THIS is exactly one of the big reasons we loved Trump.  

Where though, Chef, where does one go to become independently wealthy when there is absolutely no evidence that living within ones means, working hard, saving money before spending it, understanding the time value of money and the history of returns in the equities market (or other options should one prefer) ever paid off for anyone?  

Plus it sounds hard, and that new iPhone comes out soon.  

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Where though, Chef, where does one go to become independently wealthy when there is absolutely no evidence that living within ones means, working hard, saving money before spending it, understanding the time value of money and the history of returns in the equities market (or other options should one prefer) ever paid off for anyone?  

Plus it sounds hard, and that new iPhone comes out soon.  

Same place I went 30 plus years ago.  Where it helped a poor line cook and his secretary wife learn all these things that allowed him to, 30 years later, retire early.  

Or they can call me and I'd be more than happy to put them in touch with a coach.  

BTW I know you're being facetious.  ;) 

15 hours ago, Warcodered said:

poll seems a little loaded.

He pointedly sold more government. If you like that, you like what you heard. If you don’t like that, you didn’t like what you heard. It wasn’t some hidden message, he was very open about it. 

but I can change control to be more involved in. Is that more fair? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He pointedly sold more government. If you like that, you like what you heard. If you don’t like that, you didn’t like what you heard. It wasn’t some hidden message, he was very open about it. 

Then why didn't your poll ask that?

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Same place I went 30 plus years ago.  Where it helped a poor line cook and his secretary wife learn all these things that allowed him to, 30 years later, retire early.  

Or they can call me and I'd be more than happy to put them in touch with a coach.  

BTW I know you're being facetious.  ;) 

Part of the challenge is people are conditioned to be distrustful of people like you, and it strikes especially hard with the “Biden can save us” mindset crowd.  Personally, I think the notion of a “coach” in the financial services sector makes a lot of sense.  However, seems to me the messaging delivered from govt is always tilted toward “someone is always trying to f ya”, and again, people looking to be saved are easily convinced it’s true.  

I partnered with a professional coach about ten years ago and had exceptional results.  Of course i discontinued after about a year because, well, duh. 

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Then why didn't your poll ask that?

Interesting you take issue with the poll question.  7 of 17 respondents ran righty into the loving arms of Mother Gov.  not sure there was a toll when they got there— but seems the format was spot on. 

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Part of the challenge is people are conditioned to be distrustful of people like you, and it strikes especially hard with the “Biden can save us” mindset crowd.  Personally, I think the notion of a “coach” in the financial services sector makes a lot of sense.  However, seems to me the messaging delivered from govt is always tilted toward “someone is always trying to f ya”, and again, people looking to be saved are easily convinced it’s true.  

I partnered with a professional coach about ten years ago and had exceptional results.  Of course i discontinued after about a year because, well, duh. 

I think it's hilarious that people distrust people "like me" when almost everyone with any level of financial security either works with someone "like me" or follows a system someone 'like me" coached them on.

Regarding coaching?  I don't coach my clients.  Not my niche. But I do have a lot of advisors in my firm who do coach their clients for a low cost of $100 per month.  This is something that HAS to be taught in our schools.  It should be a required course.  The number of people in the country living on SS is a crime when it's so easy to plan and save.  

I will always look at Obama with distain from behind my profession when he was rolling out the "DOL Rule" (which I agreed with BTW) calling people "like me" snake oil salesmen.  🤬

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I think it's hilarious that people distrust people "like me" when almost everyone with any level of financial security either works with someone "like me" or follows a system someone 'like me" coached them on.

Regarding coaching?  I don't coach my clients.  Not my niche. But I do have a lot of advisors in my firm who do coach their clients for a low cost of $100 per month.  This is something that HAS to be taught in our schools.  It should be a required course.  The number of people in the country living on SS is a crime when it's so easy to plan and save.  

I will always look at Obama with distain from behind my profession when he was rolling out the "DOL Rule" (which I agreed with BTW) calling people "like me" snake oil salesmen.  🤬

I agree wholeheartedly. Interestingly, I’ll hear someone speaking about a Dave Ramsey, for example, and align with his demonization of sales people.  Frankly, I don’t care one way or the other if people like him or not, but the irony is he’s one of the great salesmen of our time.  He sells books with the plan, then updated books with the updated plan, total money makeovers that get updated with new money makeovers, trusted pros, memberships...survival guides all of course wrapped in The Glory of Jesus The Christ. Brilliant. 

The DOL ruling was a power grab, again positioning how everyone is trying to F you but the government.  The last thing they want is empowered people speaking harshly about over-reliance on SS. 

Can’t recall the context, but one our local politicians sent a form letter designed to educate constituents about the tyranny of fees and used an example of hypothetical returns with a conclusion that would get a CFP drummed from the Corp.  To boot, it could have been written in crayon, read like an elementary school student wrote it. 

I agree with you on the need to teach this stuff in schools, but again, education is good...too much real-life education is empowering, and that’s not all good for the system. 

22 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Interestingly, I’ll hear someone speaking about a Dave Ramsey, for example, and align with his demonization of sales people.  Frankly, I don’t care one way or the other if people like him or not, but the irony is he’s one of the great salesmen of our time.  He sells books with the plan, then updated books with the updated plan, total money makeovers that get updated with new money makeovers, trusted pros, memberships...survival guides all of course wrapped in The Glory of Jesus The Christ. Brilliant. 

The DOL ruling was a power grab, again positioning how everyone is trying to F you but the government.  The last thing they want is empowered people speaking harshly about over-reliance on SS. 

Can’t recall the context, but one our local politicians sent a form letter designed to educate constituents about the tyranny of fees and used an example of hypothetical returns with a conclusion that would get a CFP drummed from the Corp.  To boot, it could have been written in crayon, read like an elementary school student wrote it. 

I agree with you on the need to teach this stuff in schools, but again, education is good...too much real-life education is empowering, and that’s not all good for the system. 

Ha!  I use Dave all the time.  I get leads from him.  He has built a "better mouse trap" for advisors.  I get people that are motivated with a plan in place and need to take it to the next level.

Regarding the DOL Rule.  I understand what they were looking to do. Take the product out of the advice. By leveling our fee whereas we get paid the same amount regardless of our recommendation it's a good thing.  But what I thought was funny is that if I charger you a 1% fee per year and you work with me for several years (which all my clients do) you're going to pay me a ***** ton more in fees over those years that had you paid me a 5% up front sales charge.  But the difference is we provide value, guidance, coaching more than we ever did to continue to earn our 1% fee.  I would love to radically change that structure too.  It's terribly flawed and don't even get me started....unless you care.  LOL  

The issue is people have no idea what I do.  People like @SectionC3 who puff up their chest ask if I beat the S&P.  If I managing $2m of your mother or grandma's nest egg (my typical client) the LAST thing they want me doing is swinging for the fences.  They want a plan.  What to do, for instance, when the assisted living facility calls and says they need $100k a year for for her and it's there in the plan.  

20 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ha!  I use Dave all the time.  I get leads from him.  He has built a "better mouse trap" for advisors.  I get people that are motivated with a plan in place and need to take it to the next level.

Regarding the DOL Rule.  I understand what they were looking to do. Take the product out of the advice. By leveling our fee whereas we get paid the same amount regardless of our recommendation it's a good thing.  But what I thought was funny is that if I charger you a 1% fee per year and you work with me for several years (which all my clients do) you're going to pay me a ***** ton more in fees over those years that had you paid me a 5% up front sales charge.  But the difference is we provide value, guidance, coaching more than we ever did to continue to earn our 1% fee.  I would love to radically change that structure too.  It's terribly flawed and don't even get me started....unless you care.  LOL  

The issue is people have no idea what I do.  People like @SectionC3 who puff up their chest ask if I beat the S&P.  If I managing $2m of your mother or grandma's nest egg (my typical client) the LAST thing they want me doing is swinging for the fences.  They want a plan.  What to do, for instance, when the assisted living facility calls and says they need $100k a year for for her and it's there in the plan.  

You have more faith in the DOL than I ever will.  I have no issue with annual advisory fees (beyond not quite wanting to pay them), but as you pointed out—an upfront sales charge (or contingent deferred) may be a less expensive option for certain folks and keep them where they need to be.  Breakpoints, household of etc all plays into that complicated process.  

My point is just because a fee is charged, a product sold or a transaction takes place doesn’t mean someone is trying to shake you down...as the bureaucrats like to imply. You making 1% of 2m isn’t a problem though site a fair amount of money, so long as the client values the service. As they say, cost is only an issue in the absence of value.  

I wouldn’t trust Dave Ramsey as far as I could throw him, but fundamentally recognize his system works if employed and human nature does not work against it.  As a lead source, I’ll bet he’s great. He sends disciples.  And, as I said, he’s a great salesman and I mean no disrespect in that regard. 

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You have more faith in the DOL than I ever will.  I have no issue with annual advisory fees (beyond not quite wanting to pay them), but as you pointed out—an upfront sales charge (or contingent deferred) may be a less expensive option for certain folks and keep them where they need to be.  Breakpoints, household of etc all plays into that complicated process.  

My point is just because a fee is charged, a product sold or a transaction takes place doesn’t mean someone is trying to shake you down...as the bureaucrats like to imply. You making 1% of 2m isn’t a problem though site a fair amount of money, so long as the client values the service. As they say, cost is only an issue in the absence of value.  

I wouldn’t trust Dave Ramsey as far as I could throw him, but fundamentally recognize his system works if employed and human nature does not work against it.  As a lead source, I’ll bet he’s great. He sends disciples.  And, as I said, he’s a great salesman and I mean no disrespect in that regard. 

The issue with the up front charge or CDSC is we played this profession as salespeople.  Sell them a product, collect a commission, hand them a card and say "call me if you need me."  Who wants to spend time with a client who paid you $5,000 in gross commissions 10 years ago?  Selling a product isn't planning.  Ongoing behavioral management is the key to success and that requires ongoing compensation.  If I were to hop in a time machine and go see the best BEST plan over the last 20 years and come back and build it for you it does you no good the next time you go to cash when the market goes BOO!  Of course you know all this. 

I really don't like Dave's process.  Yes the basics of stay out of debt and don't spend frivolously is sage advice but no credit cards??  I've not had a CC balance in years and I can't tell you the amount of free flights and free ***** I've bought over the years.  Why my first question to all prospects essentially "are ya drinkin' the Kool-Aid?"  If they are I move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:59 AM, BillStime said:

You didn't mind what Trump did to our debt the past four years though, right?

US-Gross-National-Debt-2011-2020-05-06-r

So if Trump blows out the budget its OK for Biden to do likewise?  Is that your standard?

Why would you want President Biden to do anything like Trump did?

17 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

So if Trump blows out the budget its OK for Biden to do likewise?  Is that your standard?

Why would you want President Biden to do anything like Trump did?

Just more hypocrisy - right red dog?

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Just more hypocrisy - right red dog?

Hypocrisy from who?

As for me, I think it is bad behavior on Trump and Biden's part. 

But what President Biden is doing/trying to do sounds inflationary.  How could dumping 6 TRILLION into the economy not be?   Inflation hurts the disadvantaged and poor the most.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Hypocrisy from who?

As for me, I think it is bad behavior on Trump and Biden's part. 

But what President Biden is doing/trying to do sounds inflationary.  How could dumping 6 TRILLION into the economy not be?   Inflation hurts the disadvantaged and poor the most.

Well thank god we got Mexico to pay for that wall.