Cracking the draft day code

(I’m not saying that I’d like to see any of this happen. Just that I wouldn’t be shocked if it did.)

Just a shot in the dark here, so 🐻 with me. All tinfoil hats, smoke and mirrors welcome.

it has recently come out that our GM is looking to trade up. (This I believe)

More specifically for 1 player. Travis Etienne. (I don’t believe for one second that Beane would advertise to the world who he is targeting) I believe that there is interest on our part regarding the RB, however. Take a look at our roster on paper. One could easily believe that a dynamic RB could be at the top of the wish list. (Which makes this a very plausible, and believable lie.)

I do believe that he is targeting the 20-25 range.

If I had to throw a name to the specific target, my guess would be Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. A snippet from 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jeremiah-owusu-koramoah/z6O8Q1jcXp

“Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah projects as an impact defender at the NFL level. There’s an undeniable level of explosion to his game that helps Owusu-Koramoah mask the limitations of his game on account of his stature. An ideal match from a team perspective would be one that wants to stay in their base defensive personnel at a higher than average rate, where Owusu-Koramoah’s versatility can shine brightly against spread sets. There’s plenty of experience playing as a pressure player up the middle and even as a pseudo-third safety who is walked outside the hashes and taking man-to-man reps against wide receivers from the slot. Owusu-Koramoah took a big step forward with his game in 2020 and was in several contests the best football player on the field—he moves at a different speed than his teammates and his instincts to find the football and make big plays is undeniable. The more you watch, the more you love. Just don’t ask him to play a traditional stack role or attempt to work him as the MIKE linebacker for sustained, optimal success.”

Sounds a lot like the type of guy they search out for this defense. (Even the “Do not attempt at Mike”)

Taking things a step further. I believe that Tremane Edmunds will be the trade bait. 

I have a hunch that going into this offseason, the FO had a pretty good idea that they’d only be able to keep 1 of 2 linebackers moving forward. We signed MM. 

Some will say that nobody will give up a first round pick for a 2x pro-bowler at age 22. I can assure you, somebody will. 

One reason I believe that TE is trade bait this Thursday. (And this Thursday, only) is due to the lack of commitment on the 5th year option. True, they’re not due for another couple weeks. However, it’s obvious that they’ll be picking up JA’s 5th. I think they held off on it for now as to not raise any suspicions if they tendered Josh, and not Tremane. Also, leaving his new club with more options and flexibility to go in whichever direction they choose. 

Flame away 🔥 🔥 

(As for the original pick at #30? I’m not sure. Possibly a Long Snapper from some DIII school) 

Edited by Vod Kanockers
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

As far as JOK being our target....it makes sense.  I can see him being the target.  It would make me happy to see him  in a Bills uniform smacking people up. 

I don’t agree with the take on Edmunds....even though I wouldn’t mind it.  I think he’s here to stay.

Edited by NewEra

Interesting theory about Edmunds, but I don't think we would get much more than a third round pick (if that) for him.  He had a down year last season and he will be expensive after this year, either because of the 5th year option or a new contract.

• Disagree 1

As much as I have posted that Edmunds was terrible last year, it makes little sense to give him up for a draft pick or to move up a few spots in the draft. His potential alone is more valuable than a 3rd round pick.  Trading him without an immediate first round pick to replace him leaves a gaping hole in the defense, and at best does not improve it. If you don't want Edmunds at MLB then move him to edge. Otherwise just get an edge rusher and probably another corner in the first 100 picks

• Like (+1) 1

For those saying that we wouldn’t get much in return for TE right now. Which players in the back half of RD 1 would you rather have than TE. 

Last I checked, none of them were 2x pro bowlers, and some even older than he is.

Again, this isn’t something that I’d like to see happen, but if he did get traded, I believe it would be out of necessity and cap relief moving forward. 

Doesn't make sense.

You say - reasonably - that you believe you don't want JOK at Mike. And then you want to trade away our Mike to get him. That would leave us with a hole and nobody to fill it.

Just doesn't make any sense.

Trade up for JOK? Sure. Trade away Edmunds without anyone to replace him? No. Illogical.

They found money to pay their two good LBs in the McDermott system in Carolina, with Thomas Davis and Kuechly. Plainly this is not something they're unwilling to do.

Might they trade up for JOK if he falls and use other picks to do so? Yeah, one of many reasonable options.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Vod Kanockers said:

(I’m not saying that I’d like to see any of this happen. Just that I wouldn’t be shocked if it did.)

Just a shot in the dark here, so bare with me. All tinfoil hats, smoke and mirrors welcome.

I plan to keep my clothes on, whether or not there are any mirrors around.  I'm big on personal liberty, though, so as long as you aren't hurting anybody, and you don't post any pictures - - have at it.  If I change my mind, and decide to disrobe, can I keep my tinfoil hat on?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

I plan to keep my clothes on, whether or not there are any mirrors around.  I'm big on personal liberty, though, so as long as you aren't hurting anybody, and you don't post any pictures - - have at it.  If I change my mind, and decide to disrobe, can I keep my tinfoil hat on?

I disagree. I want him to post pictures.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

You beat me to it.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

My biggest issue with all of this is you are trading a two time ProBowler that struggles at Mike for basically an unknown guy in a similar mold that sounds like he will struggle at the Mike.

Are we getting significantly better?  

Are we going to go through the growing pains of a new guy in the middle?

I think you have the target right - I just think Edmunds is here for this year - unless they can trade up and pick up a replacement veteran MLB that has some scheme familiarity.

I would love to see this team roll Milano, JOK, and Edmunds out at LB and move them around for pressure and coverage - I am just not sure the DC is big on using a pressure package - they tend to run a more passive and less aggressive scheme to keep plays in front.  Therefore - I still see lots of nickel packages and then you don’t benefit from 3 LBs that are similar.

7 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

Just a shot in the dark here, so bare with me. All tinfoil hats, smoke and mirrors welcome.

it has recently come out that our GM is looking to trade up. (This I believe)

More specifically for 1 player. Travis Etienne. (I don’t believe for one second that Beane would advertise to the world who he is targeting) I believe that there is interest on our part regarding the RB, however. Take a look at our roster on paper. One could easily believe that a dynamic RB could be at the top of the wish list. (Which makes this a very plausible, and believable lie.)

I do believe that he is targeting the 20-25 range.

If I had to throw a name to the specific target, my guess would be Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. A snippet from 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jeremiah-owusu-koramoah/z6O8Q1jcXp

“Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah projects as an impact defender at the NFL level. There’s an undeniable level of explosion to his game that helps Owusu-Koramoah mask the limitations of his game on account of his stature. An ideal match from a team perspective would be one that wants to stay in their base defensive personnel at a higher than average rate, where Owusu-Koramoah’s versatility can shine brightly against spread sets. There’s plenty of experience playing as a pressure player up the middle and even as a pseudo-third safety who is walked outside the hashes and taking man-to-man reps against wide receivers from the slot. Owusu-Koramoah took a big step forward with his game in 2020 and was in several contests the best football player on the field—he moves at a different speed than his teammates and his instincts to find the football and make big plays is undeniable. The more you watch, the more you love. Just don’t ask him to play a traditional stack role or attempt to work him as the MIKE linebacker for sustained, optimal success.”

Sounds a lot like the type of guy they search out for this defense. (Even the “Do not attempt at Mike”)

Taking things a step further. I believe that Tremane Edmunds will be the trade bait. 

I have a hunch that going into this offseason, the FO had a pretty good idea that they’d only be able to keep 1 of 2 linebackers moving forward. We signed MM. 

Some will say that nobody will give up a first round pick for a 2x pro-bowler at age 22. I can assure you, somebody will. 

One reason I believe that TE is trade bait this Thursday. (And this Thursday, only) is due to the lack of commitment on the 5th year option. True, they’re not due for another couple weeks. However, it’s obvious that they’ll be picking up JA’s 5th. I think they held off on it for now as to not raise any suspicions if they tendered Josh, and not Tremane. Also, leaving his new club with more options and flexibility to go in whichever direction they choose. 

Flame away 🔥 🔥 

(As for the original pick at #30? I’m not sure. Possibly a Long Snapper from some DIII school) 

I love this “outside the box” thinking...it just makes sense on so many levels...and, because of his elite skill set, I predicted the Bills would trade up for JOK in one of the other threads...

1- A player like JOK is arguably the missing piece to help us get passed KC (he can cover and rush the passer)...pretty much what TE does, only JOK has something Edmunds lacks- INSTINCTS!

2- Paying Edmunds top dollar just seems fiscally irresponsible...he just has not earned that type of payday with his play (you’ve got to believe Beane is smart enough to recognize this)...

3. So if this is the case, it’s imperative Beane get value for TE before his contract expires, which could be this offseason or next, depending on if they offer him the 5th year option...(keep in mind his his value is probably higher this offseason because another team will have 2 years of control over him on his rookie deal)...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

I believe Beane is exploring all options to include moving up.  Some of it is just his approach to the draft.  He comes across as very thorough.

If he moves up, I believe it's for a guy like JOK, Paye, or one of the top CBs.

If he stays at 30, which I believe is most likely, all bets are off.

• Like (+1) 3

JOK is going to be a difference maker in this league. I've said the same things this breakdown says of his talent. His instincts are 2nd to none. He diagnoses plays quickly and has an elite closing burst going after the ball carrier. The main thing about these traits? He finishes when he gets there. He rarely misses a tackle in relation to opportunities. Even when they did credit him with a "missed tackle" he had done enough to allow other players on the ND defense to finish the play off. He's 6'2", 221lbs, with long arms, and could easily add another 10lbs to his frame without the loss of any athleticism. He has the speed to cover RB's out of the backfield, run with TE's in coverage, and even line up against a slot WR. His traits are as advertised which helps him not only in run defense, but pass defense as well. I'd be happy if we were to land him on Day 1. I believe it is sort of a pipe dream though. I think his slotting will be somewhere between Philadelphia @ #12 and Cleveland @ #26. 

I absolutely believe that Brandon Beane is making calls to GMs about the cost to move up.  Whether he actually makes a move is unknown.

I also doubt that Travis Etienne is truly his target.  And the fact that everyone is reporting this "leak" tells me he almost certainly will not be the pick.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah would actually be an excellent selection, and would be worthy of a trade-up.  Looking at the Beane/McDermott's history with Carolina, I could definitely see them making that kind of move.  For a team that loves versatility, he's the ultimate chess piece.  He could replace AJ Klein in base sets.  He could be a hybrid safety in some of our nickel packages.  And he could be an extra rusher on passing downs.  Basically how McDermott used Lorenzo Alexander before he retired (only younger and more physically gifted).

But if you draft Koramoah and then trade away Edmunds, it removes the ability for him to be that versatile weapon.  He basically just steps in for Edmunds at MLB, and we are back to square one.  Yeah, it makes some sense in terms of saving cap space.  But we don't really need to worry about that until 2022, and this would just seem like one step forwards, one step backwards.  

I'm not sure what the Bills are thinking with Edmunds and the 5th Year Option.  Even if they don't pick it up, it's not like he's a guaranteed goner.  It just means he becomes a Free Agent one year sooner, and 2021 will be his last year to earn the big contract.  But it also wouldn't surprise me if they pick it up.  Like has been stated on this board 1,000 times, McDermott is NOT looking for a traditional MLB in the center of his defense.  He does not want a Ray Lewis-type who is built to shed blocks and stuff the run game.  It is the job of our D-Line to occupy the blockers, giving our Linebackers the ability to run around freely.  The biggest issue for Edmunds is making the proper reads and not getting out of position.  But physically speaking, he is EXACTLY what the Bills want in the middle.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I absolutely believe that Brandon Beane is making calls to GMs about the cost to move up.  Whether he actually makes a move is unknown.

I also doubt that Travis Etienne is truly his target.  And the fact that everyone is reporting this "leak" tells me he almost certainly will not be the pick.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah would actually be an excellent selection, and would be worthy of a trade-up.  Looking at the Beane/McDermott's history with Carolina, I could definitely see them making that kind of move.  For a team that loves versatility, he's the ultimate chess piece.  He could replace AJ Klein in base sets.  He could be a hybrid safety in some of our nickel packages.  And he could be an extra rusher on passing downs.  Basically how McDermott used Lorenzo Alexander before he retired (only younger and more physically gifted).

But if you draft Koramoah and then trade away Edmunds, it removes the ability for him to be that versatile weapon.  He basically just steps in for Edmunds at MLB, and we are back to square one.  Yeah, it makes some sense in terms of saving cap space.  But we don't really need to worry about that until 2022, and this would just seem like one step forwards, one step backwards.  

I'm not sure what the Bills are thinking with Edmunds and the 5th Year Option.  Even if they don't pick it up, it's not like he's a guaranteed goner.  It just means he becomes a Free Agent one year sooner, and 2021 will be his last year to earn the big contract.  But it also wouldn't surprise me if they pick it up.  Like has been stated on this board 1,000 times, McDermott is NOT looking for a traditional MLB in the center of his defense.  He does not want a Ray Lewis-type who is built to shed blocks and stuff the run game.  It is the job of our D-Line to occupy the blockers, giving our Linebackers the ability to run around freely.  The biggest issue for Edmunds is making the proper reads and not getting out of position.  But physically speaking, he is EXACTLY what the Bills want in the middle.

Some good insight here...

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Doesn't make sense.

You say - reasonably - that you believe you don't want JOK at Mike. And then you want to trade away our Mike to get him. That would leave us with a hole and nobody to fill it.

Just doesn't make any sense.

Trade up for JOK? Sure. Trade away Edmunds without anyone to replace him? No. Illogical.

They found money to pay their two good LBs in the McDermott system in Carolina, with Thomas Davis and Kuechly. Plainly this is not something they're unwilling to do.

Might they trade up for JOK if he falls and use other picks to do so? Yeah, one of many reasonable options.

All the Edmunds bashing on here annoyed me at first but it is important to listen to people with differing opinions.  I went back and watched film and still liked him.  He did make some gap mistakes trying to cover for the lack of a 1T whole playing hurt, with only one other LB on the field and the starter at that position out for several games so at first I still cut him some slack.  

Then I saw something I hadn’t before.  On his uniform, up by his shoulder, there is a giant letter C.  You can’t see it on every play but trust me it is there.  I think this is a Scarlet Letter and a sign of disrespect from the organization.  It think it stands for CUT.  I trust Beane and if he feels Edmunds has been so bad that he has to wear this sign of shame, well then I guess I’ve changed my mind.  You may want to reconsider too.