Cracking the draft day code

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I'm not sure what the Bills are thinking with Edmunds and the 5th Year Option.  Even if they don't pick it up, it's not like he's a guaranteed goner.  It just means he becomes a Free Agent one year sooner, and 2021 will be his last year to earn the big contract.  But it also wouldn't surprise me if they pick it up.  Like has been stated on this board 1,000 times, McDermott is NOT looking for a traditional MLB in the center of his defense.  He does not want a Ray Lewis-type who is built to shed blocks and stuff the run game.  It is the job of our D-Line to occupy the blockers, giving our Linebackers the ability to run around freely.  The biggest issue for Edmunds is making the proper reads and not getting out of position.  But physically speaking, he is EXACTLY what the Bills want in the middle.

Ray Lewis in his prime was one of the best coverage LBs and sideline-to-sideline players to ever wear a uniform. In 2003 alone, he had 6 INTs and 14 passes defensed. Over a six year span from 1998-2003, he had 18 picks and never less than two in a season. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Ray Lewis in his prime was one of the best coverage LBs and sideline-to-sideline players to ever wear a uniform. In 2003 alone, he had 6 INTs and 14 passes defensed. Over a six year span from 1998-2003, he had 18 picks and never less than two in a season. 

Maybe Ray Lewis was a bad example.  

What I mean is that he's not looking for the old-school type of run stuffer.

Such a meh argument. This FO has consistently backed our super young MLB who has made the Pro Bowl 2 of his first 3 seasons, I'm so tired of people suggesting we trade him. If we were to draft JOK he would be a replacement for Milano and would start as our Big Nickel.

50 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Such a meh argument. This FO has consistently backed our super young MLB who has made the Pro Bowl 2 of his first 3 seasons, I'm so tired of people suggesting we trade him. If we were to draft JOK he would be a replacement for Milano and would start as our Big Nickel.

I like the idea of drafting that guy but not as a replacement for anyone.  

I’m not saying that i/they WANT to trade TE. IF it does happen it will ONLY be due to cost cutting measures. 

i will say this.. Should they find a way to land, and keep all 3 LB’s, This D would be nasty. 

I haven’t looked at MM’s contract. But you’d think that Beane left a way out after year 2/3 like he does with others. If MM continues to get hurt, maybe they cut bait and walk with TE and JOK.. 🤷‍♂️

Fans seem to be really down on Edmunds.

I get it. He had an injury riddled year with a few bad games, but as he got healthier he played a lot better. He went to the pro bowl in 2019 for a reason. His 2020 pro bowl was likely name recognition, but still, he is a good player who has gone to at least one legit pro bowl.

He's young. He is a freakish athlete. He is smart. He is only going to get better.

I don't think Beane and McDermott have considered moving on from Edmunds for even a second (or considered moving him to OLB, for that matter).

Edited by MJS

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As much as I have posted that Edmunds was terrible last year, it makes little sense to give him up for a draft pick or to move up a few spots in the draft. His potential alone is more valuable than a 3rd round pick.  Trading him without an immediate first round pick to replace him leaves a gaping hole in the defense, and at best does not improve it. If you don't want Edmunds at MLB then move him to edge. Otherwise just get an edge rusher and probably another corner in the first 100 picks

Value is perception. I would only consider trading Edmonds if I was getting a 1 plus. So Edmonds for #19 and swap our 5th for WFT 4th.  

If the salary cap weren't reduced, I don't think it would make sense to contemplate.