Jeff Legwold top 100 — Zach Wilson at 24

“Teams have done the work, as always, by plowing through the game video, making cross-country treks from one pro day to the next and talking to as many sources as possible about prospects. They have made the most of virtual visits and medical exams.

But there was still something missing from this year's draft prep. It might show up in the quarterback frenzy at the top of the board, the fate of players who are coming off injury or evaluations of those who opted out of the 2020 season. But its impact will be known only in the seasons that follow.

Again, this isn't a mock draft. It's the top 100 players ranked, regardless of position. The top quarterbacks will certainly be selected well before where they're slotted, because there are always two NFL draft boards -- the quarterback board and the board for everybody else.

That multiplier might kick in more than ever before if passers go 1-2-3-4 for the first time in draft history.”

And, as always, if you disagree with the rankings, rest assured, many in the league whom I have long respected have also done so.

Note: Best verified or electronically timed 40-yard dash in parentheses. With no combine, 40 times were verified with at least two separate evaluators. DNR = did not run a verified time.

*Denotes unverified height and/or weight.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Koonce made his top 100👍

J-E-T-S

I took koonce in the 3rd in my most recent mock. I really like him 

14 minutes ago, DJB said:

Isn't Zach Wilson going to the Jets?

giphy.gif

200.gif

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 3

Let’s be honest, you don’t wait to take a QB, you think you see a guy who can be a franchise guy and nobody cares where you picked him if he hits.

Case and point, who remembers what the Bills had to do to get up to take Allen?  It was a small fortune to do it, but does anybody care?  Nope. 

Maholmes wasn’t a lock for the first round according to many, going into the draft, fell to a team desperate for a QB who promptly traded back in one of the worst moves ever.  

The draft is a crapshoot in all honesty.

Yep.

The QBs that get drafted in the top five every year are often not in the top 10 or 20 players overall. They get drafted earlier than their value dictates because of the position they play. No one, for instance, believes Wilson is a better player than Pitts, and yet...

Anyway, aside from the QB value discussion, I’m still just so glad that the Jets messed up the opportunity to get Trevor Lawrence. Could Wilson be good? Absolutely. He is way less of a sure thing than Lawrence, though. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

BYU had an excellent OL and they played no one last year 

Exactly.  He's in for trouble;  not much experience and only in low pressure situations.  This is why Bama Mac maybe a better pro.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Zach Wilson was incredible, for those who watched him. Any other opinion is just trolling. The Jets are lucky to be picking #2 because he’s every bit as good as Trevor Lawrence and is an easy top 5 guy.

I hadn't watched him really until Simms ranked him ahead of Lawrence. After that I went and watched 6 games, every snap for the BYU offense. He's got a really good arm, can throw from the pocket, can throw on the run, is accurate to all levels of the field, and has good poise. He also throws the ball from different angles to fit through tight windows. Most of his incompletions were in a place where they could have been caught if not for a defender making a nice play or his receiver dropping the ball. The level of comp wasn't the SEC, but you can see the talent is there.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Zach Wilson was incredible, for those who watched him. Any other opinion is just trolling. The Jets are lucky to be picking #2 because he’s every bit as good as Trevor Lawrence and is an easy top 5 guy.

I was impressed with Wilson when watching Payton Turner of Houston when they played BYU.

18 hours ago, Logic said:

Yep.

The QBs that get drafted in the top five every year are often not in the top 10 or 20 players overall. They get drafted earlier than their value dictates because of the position they play. No one, for instance, believes Wilson is a better player than Pitts, and yet...

Exactly. When the rumor surfaced that the Niners moved up to the 3rd pick, I looked at NFL.COM, where Zierlien had him as the 36th prospect.

i have to say, the rankings of the top 2 RBs here and in a few other places, is making me waffle even more than usual on taking one at 30.  even tho the position is low value, and careers are short, and all of that, if we can get a guy w an impact like what henry has in Tenn, it improves our O and our D real quick.

i wouldn't be mad if we took one.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Let’s be honest, you don’t wait to take a QB, you think you see a guy who can be a franchise guy and nobody cares where you picked him if he hits.

Case and point, who remembers what the Bills had to do to get up to take Allen?  It was a small fortune to do it, but does anybody care?  Nope. 

Maholmes wasn’t a lock for the first round according to many, going into the draft, fell to a team desperate for a QB who promptly traded back in one of the worst moves ever.  

The draft is a crapshoot in all honesty.

The draft is a crap shoot in part because you are trying to assess individual impact in a team sport. The bottom line in the NFL is that if you do not have a solid, if not better, QB then you will have a tough time winning. You have to get the QB right.