Athletic article on JP Losman

Behind a pay wall, but pretty good article written about him.  Currently he's the offensive analyst coach at Clemson.  Many good things written about him, very humble, extremely smart, etc.  Didn't realize he spent a year working with B Daboll in Miami too.  Didn't plan on coaching, started out coaching at a HS in Conn and realized it was his calling.

https://theathletic.com/2537042/2021/04/23/ex-bills-qb-j-p-losman-didnt-let-his-disappointing-nfl-career-define-him-instead-he-found-his-calling-at-clemson/?source=dailyemail

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Great article and he’s completely different from how he was portrayed here.  Never got a fair shake.  The quote about him getting blitzed relentlessly as a rookie in practice was really interesting.  

And then there’s that nugget about whispers that he was benched for Trent Edwards at Wilson’s directive so as to not have to pay the bonus.  Ralph was a terrible owner - so many careers crashed and drowned on the rocks of his stewardship.

Just now, Buftex said:

Really?

Read the article.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

JP is an awesome guy who the coaches here ruined, glad he’s found success. 

If Bills brought him back to lead the charge, how do you think reception would be?

He wasn't ruined.  Our scouts sucked when they were drafting guys like Collins, JP & Edwards and recommending trades for Rob Johnson & Billy Joe Hobert.  We may have had a stretch when the drought started where we had the worst QB evaluators in the league.  Butler was on record as saying he would have chosen Leaf over Manning & when they both were going to be drafted higher than the Bills spot they traded for Rob.  JP was just another in a line of bad QBs our scouts recommended. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If Bills brought him back to lead the charge, how do you think reception would be?

GMs and HCs ruined entire teams here in the past... sadly with the help of the previous owner....  Ralph was a good guy, but..., 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Behind a pay wall, but pretty good article written about him.  Currently he's the offensive analyst coach at Clemson.  Many good things written about him, very humble, extremely smart, etc.  Didn't realize he spent a year working with B Daboll in Miami too.  Didn't plan on coaching, started out coaching at a HS in Conn and realized it was his calling.

https://theathletic.com/2537042/2021/04/23/ex-bills-qb-j-p-losman-didnt-let-his-disappointing-nfl-career-define-him-instead-he-found-his-calling-at-clemson/?source=dailyemail

Did you ever watch the his interviews when he was with the Bills?     I wouldn't exactly categorize someone who quotes Yoda as smart.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He was bounced around the NFL for a reason.  Its not because he was a good QB.  He will always have that UFL championship though.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He wasn't ruined.  Our scouts sucked when they were drafting guys like Collins, JP & Edwards and recommending trades for Rob Johnson & Billy Joe Hobert.  We may have had a stretch when the drought started where we had the worst QB evaluators in the league.  Butler was on record as saying he would have chosen Leaf over Manning & when they both were going to be drafted higher than the Bills spot they traded for Rob.  JP was just another in a line of bad QBs our scouts recommended. 

In fairness this was the same time frame that guys like Akili Smith and the guy from the Raiders (can't recall his name) were drafted #1 overall and there were a whole bunch of other bad QB's drafted very high then too that not even naming, Couch who went to Cleveland, etc.

For whatever reason, the past 4 to 5 years the crop of college QB's has improved quite a bit.  Back then teams were desperate and would take chance on the JP's of the world as there were very few keepers coming out.  Back around say 2008 how many good legit franchise QB's were there? Brady, Big Ben, the Manning Brothers, Romo, Brees, Fauve,, maybe Flacco??

• Agree 1

I can’t read the article, but I thought it was eventually a known that the organization was totally “say one thing, do another” when it came to JP.

QB is a very cerebral position to begin with and it’s probably not a good idea to meds with one’s psyche, regardless of their “football IQ”.

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

JP sure could hit that long ball to 83. That's about it tho. 

That game down in Houston in 2005 or 2006 was epic.  He had his moments.  But the Oline was always trash in front of him.  The organization was just a mess back then.  Hard to believe Kelly Holcomb was starting in front of JP at some point.  I think it was 2006 Christmas Eve we played the Titans with Vince Young at QB.  My lasting memory was him scrambling for like a 40+ yard TD before halftime as Chris Kelsay was left in the dust.  That pretty much summed up that entire decade of futility.  

Our current team and organization is so much better now.  I did not think we would ever be this good again.  I feel truly blessed to have been a huge fan back in the Super Bowl years and to have another go round decades later with another championship caliber team.  How frikin great is that!!  Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I do think coaching makes a big difference, i think Allen flops if he is drafted by the jets. Allen didn't start well here but McDermott had the patience to stick with him when many here wanted him gone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That game down in Houston in 2005 or 2006 was epic.  He had his moments.  But the Oline was always trash in front of him.  The organization was just a mess back then.  Hard to believe Kelly Holcomb was starting in front of JP at some point.  I think it was 2006 Christmas Eve we played the Titans with Vince Young at QB.  My lasting memory was him scrambling for like a 40+ yard TD before halftime as Chris Kelsay was left in the dust.  That pretty much summed up that entire decade of futility.  

Our current team and organization is so much better now.  I did not think we would ever be this good again.  I feel truly blessed to have been a huge fan back in the Super Bowl years and to have another go round decades later with another championship caliber team.  How frikin great is that!!  Go Bills.

I remember listening to that game on the radio. Two 83 yard TDs to number 83...

• Like (+1) 1