Jaran Reed replacement for Star?

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

It really doesn’t make sense to sign a FA this season to replace Star next season.  I expect us to draft a player to develop this season and take over for him - probably next season.

While I don't disagree fully, you can''t rely on one guy so much. What if he gets hurt?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Probably in the 40's more likely. Most of those snaps run situations. 

Just looking at some data he started the year in 2019 doing 42%, 40%, 34%, 40%, 44%, 40% and then jumped up higher to average well over 50% the rest of the year. 

We had injuries at 1 tech that year with Phillips. I don't know if the plan will be to limit star like early in 2019, my guess is yes. I think that's what McDermott wants to do as long as the depth is there. I think they want to play Star at 40%, especially 2 years later. 

Jordan Phillips played 3T

39 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

While I don't disagree fully, you can''t rely on one guy so much. What if he gets hurt?

I’m not sure why that would be a problem or why Reed would be worth extending ourselves financially.  He would be far from a cheap signing.  He signed a 2 year, $23M contract with Seattle a year ago.  He might not get that this time, but he will get a substantial contract.  Also we have 5 DTs on the roster now - Star, Oliver, Butler, Zimmer and Phillips.  I expect a draft pick as well.  That doesn’t even include DEs that can drop inside on passing downs.

3 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

Reed looks like he might be released by Seattle. I'm not sure what wizardry Beane would need to do to get this done, but it would help us immensely IMO. Last year, and it still continues now, I can't even count the amount of times people have said, "Player Y would have been better if Star took up space in the middle", "Star would have taken 2 blockers here", etc. Star is a nice player but for someone who does one thing, the fact that it was the opinion of many that he was the biggest difference maker in this type of defense, means we need to have someone to replace him after he's cut or retires after next season. Reed would be a Reed would be a great option IMO. Thoughts?

we also have no idea what shape he shows up in this season.  pinning our 1T hopes on him is a recipe for a letdown.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Butler is a big boy but he's more of a slasher type, better suited at 3tech. 

People seem to forget the defense really improved throughout the year. They were legit top 10 by the end of the season. Lack of meetings and injuries hurt them. Edmunds was one of the ones playing hurt. 

Their final 6 games last year they gave up 94 yards rushing on average. And technically they really only had 1 terrible game vs the run the final 8 regular season games vs Arizona. Most of those yards were from Kyler Murray. 

Final 6 opponents/QBs

SD/herbert-  d showed up

SF/ bum- run d played well after the first drive and our O took off so they had to pass with a bum qb

Steelers/Ben-  their OC was terrible.  No threat to run.  No threat throwing deep. Stop the short passing game is easy when so predictable 

Denver/lock-  he stinks- similar to the niners game, our O took off and they had to pass.  Lock stinks

NE/cam-  cam couldn’t throw all year.  Our O blew and up forced them to pass.  Cam stinkz at passing

Miami/Tua-  Tua stinks.  Our o blew up

and forced Tua to throw.....but.....Tua stinks.

gove our D credit, they played better.....but they played turd offenses.

colts O wrecked us.

D dominated the ravens one dimensional attack 

KC made us our D look like we were a Flag football team full of 8 year olds. 

Would be a nice add, really would have liked to seen the Bills go hard after a real 1 tech this year, Star is average at best when he does play and he’s been off a year, really high likelihood he’s hurt in camp.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Star will help because he has size that no other player on the roster has. He very well may allow Oliver to be more impactful. I don’t think his absence was the reason Edmunds regressed. I am hoping it was mostly injury but worried he just isnt that good.

Starr is not a large DT, little over 300lbs

6 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

nice player but wont work due to the commit to Star and Butler - look at the their dead cap and the potential new salary and itsover budget...Edmunds and Milano missed tackle percentages where very high last season, dont have the correlation to prior season to compare Star versus no Star...but beyond the run defense the middle of the field pass coverage was bad last season as well and Star is not going to help with that...no interior pash rush is part of the problem and we overlook that because we primarily expect that from the edge and end up having to blitz which opens coverage holes...

I think having Starr back will help, with the lack of a 'people eater' Edmunds may have been playing more downhill. He is not instinctual and would be better suited covering vs playing downhill and attacking the line.

If only we lived in a world where Star’s dead cap hit wouldn’t be prohibitive and the Bills had some money to spend, Reed would be an awesome add.

Since we DON’T live in such a world, it’ll likely be the Star and Harry show in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

This is the way. 

What are you, a Mandalorian or something?

• Haha (+1) 1

I like Reed but Star isn’t going anywhere this year. I think you might be surprised and he may even stay next year. I think Harry is gone next year and he may be gone this year depending on who they draft. 

17 hours ago, TPS said:

He was someone I wanted the Bills to draft at the time, instead they moved up to get Ragland.   Shades of the McCargo draft...ugh!

Wasn't that the year we won the offseason? I seem to remember that getting Shaq Lawson and Ragland were key pieces of our offseason championship

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Star will help because he has size that no other player on the roster has. He very well may allow Oliver to be more impactful. I don’t think his absence was the reason Edmunds regressed. I am hoping it was mostly injury but worried he just isnt that good.

I was a defensive line coach on the college level and this statement is the furthest from wrong.

Will it effect Oliver? YES absolutely but from there my friend your wrong. There is a domino effect that happens. When your inner Line gets better your DE gets better. your other DT gets better. and when everyone is doing there job properly on the line it frees up more opportunities at the MLB position. Edmunds will have more holes t chop through. your OLB/DE/Slot CB will set the edges easier when that happens, forcing the HB inside... Right in the hands of the MLB. Everything gets easier. now your LB's have good positioning and the DB's can get more aggressive on the plays.

so your wrong if you think this doesn't influence the LBS. Everything in front of them influences their next action.

So. Bottom line will this help Oliver? yes he will flourish. but indirectly so will Edmunds

5 hours ago, brianb386 said:

Wasn't that the year we won the offseason? I seem to remember that getting Shaq Lawson and Ragland were key pieces of our offseason championship

Yes, part of the 17 years of wandering in the wilderness. ugh.