Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

He seems to make more impact plays than Edmunds for sure, just hoping he can stay on the field.

I actually think this puts a target on Edmunds back to a certain extent. We haven’t gotten great play out of or LB’s as unit and largely run in a 2 LB set. I’ve seen estimates of Edmunds getting $14-ish mil. I cannot see this team paying $25M per year for the LB performance we got in 2020. Edmunds will have to make a jump or take a contract significantly cheaper than $14M per year to stay. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very conflicted on this. Dude is an absolute baller and this is our super bowl window.  But at the same time, he struggles to stay healthy, OLB is one of the “easier” positions to replace, and it will cost us someone at a position I think is more important (OT, pass rusher, or Te).

can’t be mad keeping a good player and good for Matt. He is a legit playmaker. But if he left and they drafted someone like Zaven Collins and used the money elsewhere, could that be have been better? 😬

it will be interesting to see what they do next.

Perfect assessment.  At first glance it seems ok, then you want to vomit in your mouth, and then you relax and say ok, let's see what they do next.  

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Perfect assessment.  At first glance it seems ok, then you want to vomit in your mouth, and then you relax and say ok, let's see what they do next.  

I think we sort of just hold our collective breaths that he stays healthy. If he does, it’s a great signing. If he doesn’t, I would think we hate this deal in 2022 because we’re stuck with it; but there may be an out in 2023.

Just my guess. 

Since he missed five games, one of his bonuses could be a not likely to be earned bonus for "plays twelve games." That could mean his seven might be nine for this stunted cap year, but with two of those paid in the next cap season. 

3 minutes ago, mbs said:

Since he missed five games, one of his bonuses could be a not likely to be earned bonus for "plays twelve games." That could mean his seven might be nine for this stunted cap year, but with two of those paid in the next cap season. 

wtf lol

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think we sort of just hold our collective breaths that he stays healthy. If he does, it’s a great signing. If he doesn’t, I would think we hate this deal in 2022 because we’re stuck with it; but there may be an out in 2023.

Just my guess. 

I think it's a good guess that the Bills have an out after 2 years.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

hard to say...

I mean say he gets 7 this year with a significant bonus  if he starts 12 games (or some corresponding number of snaps or tackles). Since he started 11? last year, that bonus is "not likely to be earned" and thus would be accounted for in the next season when they presumably have much more money. That way they can add more ramp-up to his year over year which I think is otherwise limited. (LIke you can't pay min one year 20 mill the next.)

I was on the fence about him at 11m (11-12 happy whatever they did) but this deal looks really good to me regardless of the bonus structure.

Edited by mbs
typo, clarity
  • Like (+1) 1

Good deal for the Bills as its less per year than both the transition (by $1.7m) and franchise (by $3.7m) tag amounts for LBs. Also less than the projected amounts he would receive on the open market. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

I actually think this puts a target on Edmunds back to a certain extent. We haven’t gotten great play out of or LB’s as unit and largely run in a 2 LB set. I’ve seen estimates of Edmunds getting $14-ish mil. I cannot see this team paying $25M per year for the LB performance we got in 2020. Edmunds will have to make a jump or take a contract significantly cheaper than $14M per year to stay. 

I’m hoping it lights a fire under his ass...if not, then try to trade him for whatever you can get in 2022, before he becomes a FA in 2023...

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1