John Brown wonders if Bills’ Josh Allen had any input on release

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I would avoid copy and pasting articles (even with a link) to make a thread.

NFL players seem to be modeling their approach to personnel and other front office decisions based on where the NBA has trended.  It's not going to end well, particularly when QBs demand to be traded or to have a say in who the HC or GM is.  Right now I cannot imagine being a Texans or Seahawks fan and learning your star QB wants out because they're unhappy with who the GM is or thinks they need more talent to compete. 

EDIT: Where does this end?  Do teams, especially those with big dollar QB's, allow high priced players input on player personnel decisions to satisfy them? Does the QB take added heat then if a player doesn't work out or when the cap is not managed poorly? 

Yeah, especially when they're sucking-up 20% of the cap.

11 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I don't think Davis can replace Brown, but I hope I'm wrong.

Serious question - Why?

I mean last year as a rookie he replaced him fine.  We have another red shirted rookie - so maybe the plan is less speed and better routes.  A group with bigger bodies to fight through the type of coverage KC threw at them.

I think they will miss his speed, but I think they will also get younger and different production from the position. 

Plus the last stat I read yesterday was that Davis was the only receiver in the entire NFL over the last 8 games to have 20+ catches and average over 19 yards per catch.  He found ways to get deep even without Smoke’s blazing speed.

Edited by Rochesterfan

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know I just think it's funny John Brown actually implied that maybe Josh Allen had something to do with it. 

I read it as Josh didn't have anything to do with it and if the Bills had asked for his input, he could/would have prevented his release.  

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Reading his comments ... It appears he wasn’t asked to take a pay cut .. 

He says him and his agent” weren’t given a heads up” about being cut...

If Beane says... take a pay cut or you will be cut... that’s a pretty big heads up... 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's a big assumption to make from that statement. Maybe he did reach out and the Bills werent interested in restructuring because they need evry penny of his cap hit back.

If his agent contacted Bills and Bills said not interested then that is a heads up.

32 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Instead of trying to throw shade on Josh, he should of been asking himself more about his effort after returning from injury. To me, it was piss poor. If he truly wanted to be a part of team maybe he could of taken a pay cut or reworked an incentive laden contract. Personally, I think this was bush league.

I'm not the one on the field trying to play through a high ankle sprain and a knee and a foot injury.

I don't think he was offered a pay cut or a reworked contract.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I am curious as to why they did not reach out to him for a pay cut. Per the above, he said he was sort of blindsided. If it was a pure salary cap move, I would assume the FO would have tried to restructure. I am not sure, but some food for thought.

I would assume that with his age, their inside knowledge of the specifics of his injury history, and whatever plans they have for the draft and FA, they did not see a spot on the roster for Brown.   I don't know what their plan is to get better on offense, but you can't get better while keeping everything the same.

I do think there are teams that will pay good $$ for leadership and good route running and Brown will find a new setting in which to shine.

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Did that happen?

Not as far as we know.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Did that happen?

No idea but if Bills did not bring up subject and agent should have; if he did and got "not interested" that is heads up.  If agent did not contact Bills he is not doing his job.  It appears Brown is stating Bills did not make an offer but you can get heads up two different ways - one team initiates it and one agent did.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No idea but if Bills did not bring up subject and agent should have; if he did and got "not interested" that is heads up.  If agent did not contact Bills he is not doing his job.  It appears Brown is stating Bills did not make an offer but you can get heads up two different ways - one team initiates it and one agent did.

I think we should stick to what we do know ..

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean... It's a one sentence question from a powerless WR who just got fired from a team he wanted to be part of and who is feeling pretty raw. I wouldnt put that much weight on it that it is setting any trends or starting to snowball. It will be out of thought in another few days.

Have you ever heard a player, whether 1 hour, 1 day, or a year out from being cut ever publicly talk about whether the QB was consulted on the former being cut?  I've never heard that.  My contention remains: that NFL players are beginning to demand a say in personnel decisions, both player and executive.  Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson won't be the last who demand trades or question the front office publicly.  It's not gonna go over well if players believe they're entitled to a seat at that table.   

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think this happens in every industry.  I left a job 10 years ago because of our Regional Manager.  I 100% knew his plan wasn't going to work and then I left.  3 years later, all offices in that division closed.  I saw the writing on the wall.

I'm in manufacturing right now and mills or plants that are run by bad GM/Ops Managers have high turnover because no one wants to work for them.

Their bonuses are effected by the success of the plant.  If the plant isn't successful, that's money out of your pocket.

I don't think anyone should sacrifice their careers because they are reporting to bad management.   

Massive conflation.  Your job ain't NFL football nor on a contract like what Brown was signed to. 

And I'm guessing that you didn't appeal to your co-workers to run the Regional Manager's decision by someone higher up. 

Be relevant in analyzing that statement as I have.

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, especially when they're sucking-up 20% of the cap.

How many teams with veteran QB's that go to the playoffs don't or won't have one of those?  I'll wait Doc.

44 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Josh is obviously just one of the guys in the locker room and buddies with everyone.

He is not your typical aloof Brady/Rogers,  but this could be a potential downside when these tough decisions get made and  the aggrieved party is left wondering why their good buddy Josh didn’t do something..

The answer to that is exactly what Josh replied when he was asked about Williams and Feliciano as free agents: "that's not my decision" or words to that effect. 

And what you say is pretty much why, if Josh is smart, it 100% has to stay that way

If Josh starts going to the mat or pulling strings for one guy, it's going to lead to hard feelings when he doesn't do that for someone else.

If he says "you know I love you man and you're gonna be missed, but that's not my role" then guys should respect that.

I do think that Josh had input but probably not in such a direct form as "we're thinking of John Brown as a cap casualty, what are your thoughts?"

I would expect that Josh sat with the coaching staff/FO after the season and went over a bunch of plays for input as far as "how did you see this play unfolding?  why did you throw here and not there?" both for his own growth as a QB, and for the staff to build a picture of "what is the missing piece? what do we need to get better?" and those discussions probably in turn result in FO decisions about what they need to do to improve, after Josh has left the room and gone his way to Cali.

There were several games where Smoke "went off" last season, including the first two games, Seattle and Arizona, and Baltimore.  There were also games where Brown got skunked (0 receptions on multiple targets), including the Rams, reg. season KC, Indianapolis, and limited contribution (2 receptions on 4 targets, 24 yds) in the AFC Championship game.

• Thank you (+1) 2

There's no reason to ask Josh for his perspective on a cap based decision.. unless you're asking him to take a paycut on his next deal, but thankfully this front office is not a clown show and that idea would be laughed at.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The answer to that is exactly what Josh replied when he was asked about Williams and Feliciano as free agents: "that's not my decision" or words to that effect. 

And what you say is pretty much why, if Josh is smart, it 100% has to stay that way

If Josh starts going to the mat or pulling strings for one guy, it's going to lead to hard feelings when he doesn't do that for someone else.

If he says "you know I love you man and you're gonna be missed, but that's not my role" then guys should respect that.

I do think that Josh had input but probably not in such a direct form as "we're thinking of John Brown as a cap casualty, what are your thoughts?"

I would expect that Josh sat with the coaching staff/FO after the season and went over a bunch of plays for input as far as "how did you see this play unfolding?  why did you throw here and not there?" both for his own growth as a QB, and for the staff to build a picture of "what is the missing piece? what do we need to get better?" and those discussions probably in turn result in FO decisions about what they need to do to improve, after Josh has left the room and gone his way to Cali.

There were several games where Smoke "went off" last season, including the first two games, Seattle and Arizona, and Baltimore.  There were also games where Brown got skunked (0 receptions on multiple targets), including the Rams, reg. season KC, Indianapolis, and limited contribution (2 receptions on 4 targets, 24 yds) in the AFC Championship game.

Essentially the most say Josh has is what he does with them on the field and his perspective on the his chemistry with the player and their with the rest of the room. Anything more than that wouldn't be good.

I think if Josh had any input, Brown would still be on the team. That being said, I would hope Brown would give the Bills the opportunity to match the best offer he receives. Brown has to know he's very popular with the Bills fan base.