The January 6th Commission To Investigate The Insurrection

Tiberius

5 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Obviously there are going to be politics involved, it’s Congress. The question was whether is was purely political, which I do not believe is true. 

We only have reporting on Cheney keeping the focus on Trump, so I can only speculate as to why Bennie Thompson would accept her demands. Maybe it was to keep the committee working together and prevent fracturing. I dunno. I haven’t read the full report yet but I heard it doesn’t mention Ginni Thomas at all. I’d imagine that was at Cheney’s insistence as well.

In the end, people will likely just believe what they want to believe anyway.  

So it was all political, which is what I stated. The committee had one main purpose, which was to politically injure Trump, they protected every other member of the establishment. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

So it was all political, which is what I stated. The committee had one main purpose, which was to politically injure Trump, they protected every other member of the establishment. 

From the reporting I’ve seen, the report actually goes after many people who aren’t Trump. 

Trump is the main focus, sure, but he’s not the only one to be shown acting poorly or even criminally 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

So you don't care Trump tried to violently steal the election, correct? 

political parties aside…

But please do tell how you can steal an election without any guns or weapons? How could the most powerful country on the face of the planet be in danger Of being toppled without any weapons?

That’s literally an impossible coup…. Were the people storming the capital wrong? Yea

Was our country’s freedom threatened? Absolutely not

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

political parties aside…

But please do tell how you can steal an election without any guns or weapons? How could the most powerful country on the face of the planet be in danger Of being toppled without any weapons?

That’s literally an impossible coup…. Were the people storming the capital wrong? Yea

There was a coordinated effort to overturn the results of the election. It was ultimately not successful in part because it was a stupid plan by stupid people and in part because key people in power acted in the name of the rule of law, even if it was against their own political interests. 

Just because it was incredibly unlikely to work doesn’t mean we should dismiss it. The best indicator of a successful coup is a failed previous attempt. 

Those involved should be punished in accordance with the law.

Edited by ChiGoose

4 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

There was a coordinated effort to overturn the results of the election. It was ultimately not successful in part because it was a stupid plan by stupid people and in part because key people in power acted in the name of the rule of law, even if it was against their own political interests. 

Just because it was incredibly unlikely to work doesn’t mean we should dismiss it. The best indicator of a successful coup is a failed previous attempt. 

Those involved should be punished in accordance with the law.

Trump never called for violence

In fact the words peaceful protest was used multiple times

There were bigger riots after George Floyd… 

Please do tell how what happened that day could’ve possibly changed election results? Because that would take war

All those idiots stormed the capital… then what? Trumps automatically president again lol

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Trump never called for violence

In fact the words peaceful protest was used multiple times

There were bigger riots after George Floyd… 

Please do tell how what happened that day could’ve possibly changed election results? Because that would take war

All those idiots stormed the capital… then what? Trumps automatically president again lol

Both the fake electors scheme and the push to have Pence not certify the election were attempts at overturning the results of the election. 

Not everything was about the violence on the day itself. 

3 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Both the fake electors scheme and the push to have Pence not certify the election were attempts at overturning the results of the election. 

Not everything was about the violence on the day itself. 

If you think our democracy could fold that easily well then our country’s already lost

I am not even pro Trump but I can agree everything about that election was shady… It was not normal… And I’ve seen a lot of presidential elections

It shouldn’t take a week to decide our president… Unless they’re recounting every vote

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you think our democracy could fold that easily well then our country’s already lost

I am not even pro Trump but I can agree everything about that election was shady… It was not normal… And I’ve seen a lot of presidential elections

It shouldn’t take a week to decide our president… Unless they’re recounting every vote

It almost always takes a week to decide the president. Usually more than that. 

The media outlets “calling” the election has no legal weight. 

The 2020 election was not rigged, but there were several different attempts to overturn the results regardless. The people behind those schemes should be subject to the full force of the law. 

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Obviously there are going to be politics involved, it’s Congress. The question was whether is was purely political, which I do not believe is true. 

We only have reporting on Cheney keeping the focus on Trump, so I can only speculate as to why Bennie Thompson would accept her demands. Maybe it was to keep the committee working together and prevent fracturing. I dunno. I haven’t read the full report yet but I heard it doesn’t mention Ginni Thomas at all. I’d imagine that was at Cheney’s insistence as well.

In the end, people will likely just believe what they want to believe anyway.  

This is an interesting take.  I just re-read Thompson’s opening statement about getting to bottom of what happened.  He referenced the officers who held the line, the rioters storming the halls of Congress looking for Nancy Pelosi, of gallows in tow as some looked for Mike Pence.  It was inspiring stuff, and he and Liz Cheney outwardly seemed committed to telling the American people the truth of what happened that day wherever that lead. 

Then I got back to thinking about what you had to offer on the 1/6 report being less of an unvarnished and raw recap of what happened and more of a political-protect-your-cronies-at-all costs reimagining oh what they wish it might have looked like.  I guess if we’re speculating on a report that sounds quite flawed to begin with, it makes sense that Cheney and Thompson both had political allies  they were sworn to protect?  Maybe they discovered unprofessional behavior or dereliction of duty by those ultimately responsible for securing the building on that fateful day?  Or perhaps there was some coordination between rioters and dem politicians to allow access or breach security to implicate Trump? 

The most likely scenario seems obvious—there is no way in hell that the Capitol should have been overrun by people without weapons, without a plan of attack and military-style coordination.   Someone f’d up, badly, and it was likely someone close (or useful). to both Cheney and Thompson.  

Mostly though, I think how you and I have pretty much the same opinion of this committee, but that you like the result while I wonder why they didn’t really want to get to the truth and share that with the American people.  Instead, we get just more reason to be distrustful of the gangs of DC and how they operate. 

Kudos to @Orlando Tim for asking the right question the right way. 

35 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

It almost always takes a week to decide the president. Usually more than that. 

The media outlets “calling” the election has no legal weight. 

The 2020 election was not rigged, but there were several different attempts to overturn the results regardless. The people behind those schemes should be subject to the full force of the law. 

It does not usually take a week to decide the presidential election

Bush gore took time with a recount 

It’s called election day not election week

Somebody usually always concedes before the end of the night or next day… When they concede it’s over

They conceded defeat

We knew Trump won in 2016… Obama in 12… Obama in 8… Bush in 04(Kerry conceded Wednesday)…. 2000 had the recount … 96 we knew Clinton … 92 we knew Clinton (Bush conceded that night)

I can go on and on

Edited by Buffalo716

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Somebody usually always concedes before the end of the night or next day… When they concede it’s over

No its not.  Its over when all the votes are counted. Gore conceded but there were recounts etc and it wasn't decided for a month or so.  Conceding really means nothing.

13 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

No its not.  Its over when all the votes are counted. Gore conceded but there were recounts etc and it wasn't decided for a month or so.  Conceding really means nothing.

You missed my entire point then

Besides when there’s a recount we always know who wins by the next day for the last 20-30 +years

And gore did not concede until the Supreme Court decision… He conceded defeat in December after the Supreme Court decision

It went to the Supreme Court because he refused to concede… And it was within the margin

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Besides when there’s a recount we always know who wins by the next day

Generally, elections are not so close that the media outlets are unable to make a call on election night. 

However, the counting itself usually continues for days or even weeks. Only when it is finished and certified is the election truly decided. In most elections, the margins are large enough that media outlets can call the election before the votes are all counted. I think California usually takes weeks to finish counting, but the margins are so large that the media can make a projection or call well ahead of time. 

What happened in 2020 was pretty straightforward: more people voted by mail than usual because of the pandemic, different states had different rules about when the mail in ballots can be counted, and the election was very close. All of that meant that it wasn’t as easy to call certain states on Election Day than in other elections. 

Another likely problem was that Fox probably called Arizona a bit earlier than it should have. It was clear on November 6th that Biden had won but I think some media outlets that had Arizona as still undecided were afraid to pull the trigger on calling Pennsylvania until they could call Arizona too. That would have resulted in Fox and the AP showing Arizona for Biden but PA undecided while other outlets showed PA for Biden but Arizona undecided. The combination of the two states would have put him over 270. 

54 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

This is an interesting take.  I just re-read Thompson’s opening statement about getting to bottom of what happened.  He referenced the officers who held the line, the rioters storming the halls of Congress looking for Nancy Pelosi, of gallows in tow as some looked for Mike Pence.  It was inspiring stuff, and he and Liz Cheney outwardly seemed committed to telling the American people the truth of what happened that day wherever that lead. 

Then I got back to thinking about what you had to offer on the 1/6 report being less of an unvarnished and raw recap of what happened and more of a political-protect-your-cronies-at-all costs reimagining oh what they wish it might have looked like.  I guess if we’re speculating on a report that sounds quite flawed to begin with, it makes sense that Cheney and Thompson both had political allies  they were sworn to protect?  Maybe they discovered unprofessional behavior or dereliction of duty by those ultimately responsible for securing the building on that fateful day?  Or perhaps there was some coordination between rioters and dem politicians to allow access or breach security to implicate Trump? 

The most likely scenario seems obvious—there is no way in hell that the Capitol should have been overrun by people without weapons, without a plan of attack and military-style coordination.   Someone f’d up, badly, and it was likely someone close (or useful). to both Cheney and Thompson.  

Mostly though, I think how you and I have pretty much the same opinion of this committee, but that you like the result while I wonder why they didn’t really want to get to the truth and share that with the American people.  Instead, we get just more reason to be distrustful of the gangs of DC and how they operate. 

Kudos to @Orlando Tim for asking the right question the right way. 

I don’t think we have the same opinion of the committee. 

I also don’t think the decision to focus on Trump was part of a coverup. I think it was a decision made likely to either keep Cheney from publicly splitting from the committee and/or because making it about Trump gets the headlines and will draw more eyes to the report. 

It seems like everyone likes to jump to dastardly conclusions but the truth is more likely to be fairly mundane. 

18 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Generally, elections are not so close that the media outlets are unable to make a call on election night. 

However, the counting itself usually continues for days or even weeks. Only when it is finished and certified is the election truly decided. In most elections, the margins are large enough that media outlets can call the election before the votes are all counted. I think California usually takes weeks to finish counting, but the margins are so large that the media can make a projection or call well ahead of time. 

What happened in 2020 was pretty straightforward: more people voted by mail than usual because of the pandemic, different states had different rules about when the mail in ballots can be counted, and the election was very close. All of that meant that it wasn’t as easy to call certain states on Election Day than in other elections. 

Another likely problem was that Fox probably called Arizona a bit earlier than it should have. It was clear on November 6th that Biden had won but I think some media outlets that had Arizona as still undecided were afraid to pull the trigger on calling Pennsylvania until they could call Arizona too. That would have resulted in Fox and the AP showing Arizona for Biden but PA undecided while other outlets showed PA for Biden but Arizona undecided. The combination of the two states would have put him over 270. 

You are using jargon…

And we are in an advanced Enough society that we should be able to count mail in votes quickly too… and all votes…There’s no reason for what happened … We Are the greatest country in the world… Count mail in votes first and make them all be in by election day… Easy Peezy lemon squeezy

My point stands… That except for Recounts … America always knows the president well before a week

You can go to bed at 2 AM after election night… And the world will know who the American president will be… If not you will know by noon the next day

Except in rare circumstances

It was a funky election… I’m not saying theft , cheat, … I’m saying funky

Trump was up so big when everybody went to bed at 1 AM… Vegas had him as a huge favorite… Then America wakes up to Biden leading… And then it gets funky for 2 months 

In fact my online bookie paid me back my 5000 bet on the presidential election because funk… that doesn’t happen… EVER

Yes I bet on politics because I’m a gambling addict lol

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are using jargon…

And we are in an advanced Enough society that we should be able to count mail in votes quickly too… and all votes…There’s no reason for what happened … We Are the greatest country in the world… Count mail in votes first and make them all be in by election day… Easy Peezy lemon squeezy

My point stands… That except for Recounts … America always knows the president well before a week

You can go to bed at 2 AM after election night… And the world will know who the American president will be… If not you will know by noon the next day

Trump was up so big when everybody went to bed at 1 AM… Vegas had him as a huge favorite… Then America wakes up to Biden leading… And then it gets funky for 2 months 

In fact my online bookie paid me back my 5000 bet on the presidential election because funk

Man, I’d like to know where you’re betting if the bookies are that bad at setting lines. While the betting markets were more favorable to Trump than the models and forecasters, they generally had Biden as a pretty clear favorite.

Maybe that changed a bit during the counting but I would hope that oddsmakers would be familiar with the expected Red Mirage. It was pretty clear the day after Election Day which way the election was going. 

19 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Man, I’d like to know where you’re betting if the bookies are that bad at setting lines. While the betting markets were more favorable to Trump than the models and forecasters, they generally had Biden as a pretty clear favorite.

Maybe that changed a bit during the counting but I would hope that oddsmakers would be familiar with the expected Red Mirage. It was pretty clear the day after Election Day which way the election was going. 

Biden was Clear favorite the entire time leading up to the election and on the day…

It’s well known that Republicans always make their run late in Election Day 

By 11 pm Trump was turning the tides and looked like he was going to win the election… Especially by the history of Republican voting late

By midnight he was the clear betting favorite in Vegas… Biden went from -170 to +185… massive jump in 1 hour 

Trump from + 190 to -230 …. Again an insane jump

Republicans have 40 years of being late voters… And by midnight it happened again

I am an avid bettor And this was the weirdest betting experience of my life 

Like I said I was given back my $5000 after all the crazy ***** and I’m not lying 

FYI I have a feeling I’m one of the most patriotic people here… Because I root for America… That means every American president

I see a lot of Hatred towards political parties in this thread… That’s what the people in charge want… A house divided cannot stand

Can you all say you rooted for Trump and Biden, And bush and Obama etc 

Because who would want our beautiful country to fail

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Besides when there’s a recount we always know who wins by the next day for the last 20-30 +years

And gore did not concede until the Supreme Court decision… He conceded defeat in December after the Supreme Court decision

It went to the Supreme Court because he refused to concede… And it was within the margin

When is a concession a concession?

Well after midnight, the television networks then called Florida (and with it the presidency) for Texas Governor George W. Bush, and then several hours later – still before morning – retracted that projection.  Somewhere along the way, Gore called Bush twice, once to concede and once to retract that concession.

https://teachingamericanhistory.org/blog/the-timing-of-al-gores-concession-in-2000/

I still maintain a concession doesn't mean sqwat.  If a candidate concedes and then turns out to be the winner, he/she is still the winner.  They don't stop counting when someone concedes.  Nor should they.

34 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I don’t think we have the same opinion of the committee. 

I also don’t think the decision to focus on Trump was part of a coverup. I think it was a decision made likely to either keep Cheney from publicly splitting from the committee and/or because making it about Trump gets the headlines and will draw more eyes to the report. 

It seems like everyone likes to jump to dastardly conclusions but the truth is more likely to be fairly mundane. 

It wasn’t my contention, Chi, it was yours.  You said the rumor was that “Cheney didn’t want to go hard after GOPers”.  What “fairly mundane” actions by GOPers would result in the 1/6 committee “going hard” after anyone?   No parking pass displayed in the Congressional lot?  Leaving dirty dishes in the Congressional sink?   That notion in an of itself reeks of political shenanigans. 

Why would Thompson want to pursue mundane issues to begin with?  Silly internal squabbles would just detract from the work of the committee.  

We were told this work was vitally important, and that this went beyond Dem and Rep politics and what mattered was the truth.  Liz Cheney has been anything but a shrinking violet here, now you seem to be suggesting that failure to acquiesce to her demands might have caused her to fracture the work of the committee?  Would she sell out the truth in exchange for political leverage, or even threaten to do so?   I’m still confused by what’s in this for Thompson if the truth was his goal.  He easily could have outed Cheney if she was strong arming him. 

If, as you suggest, the political committee acted politically to protect some members of Congress while targeting others, the entire body of work is suspect.

What an interesting turn of events.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are using jargon…

In fact my online bookie paid me back my 5000 bet on the presidential election because funk… that doesn’t happen… EVER

Is Vegas always right?

Vegas favored the 2007 Patriots by 12 over the Giants.

Who won?

18 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Is Vegas always right?

Vegas favored the 2007 Patriots by 12 over the Giants.

Who won?

That’s before the game…

This was after voting was closed… Lots of states have been called… And it was after midnight

That’s a lot different than before … Both sides knew how many votes were out there and had projections

You know what Bookies don’t do?… Give people their money back

After two months of Funk I got it back

Edited by Buffalo716

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It wasn’t my contention, Chi, it was yours.  You said the rumor was that “Cheney didn’t want to go hard after GOPers”.  What “fairly mundane” actions by GOPers would result in the 1/6 committee “going hard” after anyone?   No parking pass displayed in the Congressional lot?  Leaving dirty dishes in the Congressional sink?   That notion in an of itself reeks of political shenanigans. 

Why would Thompson want to pursue mundane issues to begin with?  Silly internal squabbles would just detract from the work of the committee.  

We were told this work was vitally important, and that this went beyond Dem and Rep politics and what mattered was the truth.  Liz Cheney has been anything but a shrinking violet here, now you seem to be suggesting that failure to acquiesce to her demands might have caused her to fracture the work of the committee?  Would she sell out the truth in exchange for political leverage, or even threaten to do so?   I’m still confused by what’s in this for Thompson if the truth was his goal.  He easily could have outed Cheney if she was strong arming him. 

If, as you suggest, the political committee acted politically to protect some members of Congress while targeting others, the entire body of work is suspect.

What an interesting turn of events.  

Liz Chaney was a bit of a puzzle.  While she clearly had it out for Trump she did so while alienating herself from a large percentage of Republican voters as evidenced by her huge primary loss in 2022.  And while Democrats across the party praised her for taking a stand against Orange Man and the MAGA segment of the party it's a certainty that absolutely none of those Democrats carrying her off the field on their shoulders would cast a vote for Liz against any Democratic candidate in any general election at any level. 

She played the part of hero well and sacrificed her short-term political ambitions to carry the torch for the establishment Republicans and Democrats against the upstart "populists" that threatened to interrupt the stranglehold they collectively hold on wielding power and control in Washington for some yet to be revealed reward.  I say this with 100% certainty given that no contemporary American political would willingly sacrifice their personal ambition for the "good" of the country unless they profited in some way too.  Agree or not no Washington insider is going to be the guy falling on the hand grenade in the fox hole to save their fellow soldiers.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That’s before the game…

This was after voting was closed… Lots of states have been called… And it was after midnight

That’s a lot different than before … Both sides knew how many votes were out there and had projections

You know what Bookies don’t do?… Give people their money back

After two months of Funk they did

You do realize Vegas had their money on Hillary, right?

And can you back up the Vegas odds for 2020?

https://www.actionnetwork.com/politics/election-odds-predictions-trump-biden-betting-presidential-race-2020

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

You do realize Vegas had their money on Hillary, right?

And can you back up the Vegas odds for 2020?

https://www.actionnetwork.com/politics/election-odds-predictions-trump-biden-betting-presidential-race-2020

By 10 pm trump is listed at 70% chance of winning… by 11 still over 70%… Extremely high for 11 PM on election night

By 4 AM after election night … still 70% chance

By 4am most elections are decided… that is extremely high odds… Seeing as They know how many precincts are yet to be reported 

That is an enormous swing 

Can they be wrong? Yea

but Americans always have an inkling of who the president is before the night (by 3-4am) is over in these modern times … trump clear.. Obama 2x clear… 04 bush clear … 2000 recount ( bush was declared the winner of Florida by 3am by under 2000 votes…there was an answer) But it triggered a recount by state law

96 Clinton clear , 92 Clinton clear 

Nobody had multiple states by the next morning in 2020 … It’s unheard of 

Hence why I got my money back from a bookie and that doesn’t happen… it’s not heard of in American democracy 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

political parties aside…

Lame attempt, really, but still an attempt, led to deaths, that's really serious. You don't care, I get that 

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I thought it was a peaceful demonstration?

Amazing - the President of the United States summoned the mob to the Capitol and it’s Pelosi’s fault for not having enough defense to take on Trumps incited mob?

@BillsFanNC- I hope you get a check from AG.

So after two years of this, you don’t expect ANYONE to look into the obvious security failure at the Capitol…..really? 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are using jargon…

Lets not forget that most of the the states that decided the outcome suddenly all  shut down counting

in unison at around 1 am or so.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Normal. Happens all the time.

Stop with the conspiracy theories.

I am sorry but it is not normal for so many states to stop the count on available ballots before the night is done. We have always had the winner by dawn the following day except for in races decided by incredibly close margins, which was not the case. The 2020 election was a cluster on many levels but that along does not invalidate the election. I acknowledge the 2020 results and expect us there be better in 2024

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I am sorry but it is not normal for so many states to stop the count on available ballots before the night is done. We have always had the winner by dawn the following day except for in races decided by incredibly close margins, which was not the case. The 2020 election was a cluster on many levels but that along does not invalidate the election. I acknowledge the 2020 results and expect us there be better in 2024

Sarcasm. I forgot the ^_^ 

On 7/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, BillsFanNC said:

:lol:

What about the speech where he asked everyone to be peaceful and the two previous tweets where he asked for no violence and obey law enforcement?

Those were ineffective, and only the last one worked, right?

Otherwise this marauding band of unarmed tourists would have successfully finished the coup!

Unarmed?

15 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Unarmed?

Classic Billstime, someone

claims protesters were unarmed so  billstime shares a link on a Twitter account that says they were armed without reading the part that said they were actually …. thats  right unarmed.

• Like (+1) 1