Josh Allen will be the best QB in the league with a running game

JerseyBills

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Awesome post!! Get Josh a capable TE and he’s at the top. The Bills simply did not have a consistent contributor at the TE position 

We've needed an elite RB/TE for years....Draft Najee and get an OL coach who can light a fire under the butts of these o-linemen. 

• Agree 1

No matter how good your QB is, if you can't run the ball and you can't protect the quarterback then he won't be able to succeed. 
And as the Bills know, you also have to have good receivers.  Have to have it all working to succeed against a good defenses. 

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Mahomes played how Josh has to play every week.

0 TD 2 INT 9 points 49 pass attempts 270 yards

His RB got 69 yards on 11 carries

Defense could play pass , focus on Patty every play basically. Josh literally deals with this every game. 

Brady got 26 carries and 150 yds from his RBs. 

If Josh gets even a decent run game,  him and this already elite O will become unstoppable. 

He'll outplay Mahomes. He'll win Lombardis. 

The run game should be priority #1 going into next season,  I truly think Josh would be unstoppable.  

What I learned from last night’s game is that  along with a better running game, it would help Josh and the offense to involve the running backs more in the passing game to beat the blitz.  When KC was coming after Brady, he moved the ball with short passes to Fournette.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Allen is gonna go to work this off season. His idle just won another ring.

For all the hate I have for Brady, I think maybe he deserves a modicum of credit for Allen's work habits and thought process. He has studied Brady for years and knows what he needs to do to accomplish greatness. 

This, above all else will be why Allen is successful. 

Grab a speedy RB in the draft and maybe an o lineman also. 

Najee 1st

Wyatt Davis 2nd

.....use every FA dollar on DL

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills don't have a running game because Josh was so impactful throwing the ball. I do hope that this team can find more balance when needed but don't expect this team to have a consistent ground game in 2021.

We need to be able to switch to the run, though. The Bucs ability to swing between the two yesterday kept the Chiefs defense on it's toes - the same cannot be said of our game against them.

Just now, UKBillFan said:

We need to be able to switch to the run, though. The Bucs ability to swing between the two yesterday kept the Chiefs defense on it's toes - the same cannot be said of our game against them.

You are correct in that the ground game needs to be a component of the offense but I think people expecting a massive shift in the ground games production will be disappointed. I think if this team can retain the same O-line (Dawkins-Ike/Ford-Mitch-Mongo-D.Williams) they will have enough talent to make a push in the ground attack. Moss and Singletary while not elite backs are quality young backs that I think can be productive running behind this O-line. The issue to me is more so of design and not talent. Daboll needs to have a running play set that can set that ground attack when it is needed.

42 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

CEH was good, averaged over 4 yards a carry and would have had 1k if not for injury

He literally had 2 good games all year and was meh all season. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaCl00.htm

and that’s mostly facing less guys in the box than almost any other rb in the league. I

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He literally had 2 good games all year and was meh all season. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaCl00.htm

and that’s mostly facing less guys in the box than almost any other rb in the league. I

Limited carries, Andy loves him some Patrick he can't help himself he has to pass 

11 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

If the Bills OL was even close to elite they would already have a running game.  More speed at RB will help but maybe the blocking could be better?  

People don't seem to catch on that, at the NFL level, if there is a hole to run through ANY of these RBs will run through it just fine.

If there is nothing up front with the blocking. The play will go for a 1 yard loss, no gain, or maybe a 1 yard gain.  I.E., not much of anything.

Our "run game" sucks b/c our OL sucks at run blocking.

Too much blubber up front, not enough lean, strong, mean guys.

Get Incognito back over here!  He seems to be back off the bottle now.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess you can say the same thing for mahomes. Their rbs were not good this year. 

They were better then our RB's particularly CEH.

And at TE Mahomes not only has the best TE's in Kelsy his TE is also one of the best offensive players at any position in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

People don't seem to catch on that, at the NFL level, if there is a hole to run through ANY of these RBs will run through it just fine.

If there is nothing up front with the blocking. The play will go for a 1 yard loss, no gain, or maybe a 1 yard gain.  I.E., not much of anything.

Our "run game" sucks b/c our OL sucks at run blocking.

Too much blubber up front, not enough lean, strong, mean guys.

Get Incognito back over here!  He seems to be back off the bottle now.

IMO this is only partly true.  Our RB's don't often make tackler's miss or run them over.  Yesterday Fournate and CEH both had a lot of yards after contact or when the blocking broke down. 

11 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Mahomes played how Josh has to play every week.

0 TD 2 INT 9 points 49 pass attempts 270 yards

His RB got 69 yards on 11 carries

Defense could play pass , focus on Patty every play basically. Josh literally deals with this every game. 

Brady got 26 carries and 150 yds from his RBs. 

If Josh gets even a decent run game,  him and this already elite O will become unstoppable. 

He'll outplay Mahomes. He'll win Lombardis. 

The run game should be priority #1 going into next season,  I truly think Josh would be unstoppable.  

This is a great point and observation.  Yesterday both KC & TB committed to taking away the WR's and to a large extent they succeeded.

TE's led both the Chiefs & Bucs in caches and receiving yards.  Of the 4 TB TD's 3 were scored by a TE/RB. 

Allen and the Bills offense succeeded brilliantly for most of the year in spite of having a critical weakness at TE & RB.  This indicates to me that if the Bills can bring their TE play and running game up to average they will have a great shot to win the Super Bowl next year.  I think with a normal off season Knox will improve further and lift the TE play to at least average. That leaves RB as a glaring need IMO.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

What I learned from last night’s game is that  along with a better running game, it would help Josh and the offense to involve the running backs more in the passing game to beat the blitz.  When KC was coming after Brady, he moved the ball with short passes to Fournette.

Absolutely. 

I think Josh is so confident in his arm , and he has proven he can hit basically any target from any point on the field. I love the confidence,  but ya he needs to take those easy passes to RBs on blitzes a bit more for sure. And I fully expect he will improve on this.  He still has a way to go to approach his ceiling.  

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Allen looked a whole lot better with no protection than Mahomes did.

That was my point. 

Mahomes physically couldn't handle the style of play Josh had to play in a few games.  

You really saw the difference in their physical ability last night.  

I know I'm a homer but I believe I'm a realist first. Josh Allen is the greatest physical specimen,  with the highest ceiling,  in NFL history. And he's going to continue climbing so he can reach that ceiling.  

He'll surpass Mahomes in 2 years max but with a running game I'm extremely confident he passes him in 2021, next season..