Josh Allen will be the best QB in the league with a running game

JerseyBills

8 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Offensive and defensive lines need to be better. 

Other stuff is gravy.

I have been saying this right along.. the game was won in the trenches last night. 

We need a 1 Tech DT 

Drop some guys on O'Line that cant run block and I am sorry.. I have little faith in the RB's we have now. we need an upgrade there to.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know Beane has done a great job adding to the interior OL but If Beane wants to win a super bowl we need to continue to upgrade the interior OL. Don't rely on Cody Ford. I know he loves him some Cody Ford. If Ford works out great, but we have to upgrade there. 

Cody Ford was an almost "can't miss" guard prospect coming out of college.  

We tried him at RT, then moved him back to G, and he promptly got hurt for half the season. 

I think we need to give him a shot and hope he is the guy everyone thought he was coming into the Draft.  

We have Dawkins, we can re-sign Williams, but we aren't going to have the resources and/or draft picks to replace both guard spots.   Ford, to me, is the penciled in starter and then I'd draft the best available interior lineman in Round 2.  

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We tried him at RT, then moved him back to G, and he promptly got hurt for half the season. 

I think we need to give him a shot and hope he is the guy everyone thought he was coming into the Draft.  

We have Dawkins, we can re-sign Williams, but we aren't going to have the resources and/or draft picks to replace both guard spots.   Ford, to me, is the penciled in starter and then I'd draft the best available interior lineman in Round 2.  

You don't need to replace both OGs. Bring in at least 1 serious contender for OG/C. Going in with what we have now would be a failure IMO. 

I agree with your plan. What I mean when I say don't depend on Ford is don't believe Ford/Morse/Feliciano is good enough. 

Upgrade at least one of these players. 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In his post-season presser.  He didn't say it in so many words but close enough.

(flip flip)

-like the versatility, not slotting him in at guard or tackle

-he'll have to compete, but he believes he'll be one of our best 5

Here's the dilemma for Beane heading into the offseason. We got zero snaps of the interior combination of Ford - Morse - Feliciano this season. They love Ford and they love Feliciano. Feliciano and Ford have a great relationship with each other and Allen. I almost 100% believe they will be penciled in as starters. 

I think the question for Beane is what to do at center. I think Feliciano is a real possibility depending how the offseason goes. They can also draft a center, I actually like that idea. We could draft the best center in the draft. Release Morse and give Feliciano a contract with the savings. 

They can also just say we believe Ford - Morse - Feliciano is a good group we believe in. Injuries didn't allow them to play together. 

What I think they will do is try to bring everyone back but also draft interior OL very high in this draft. 

Hoping for a healthy Ford at one of the guard spots and then Feliciano moving to Center full time next year. Hey really plays well there. Morse is super intelligent and a very good pass blocker but leaves a lot to be desired in the run game.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You don't need to replace both OGs. Bring in at least 1 serious contender for OG/C. Going in with what we have now would be a failure IMO. 

I agree with your plan. What I mean when I say don't depend on Ford is don't believe Ford/Morse/Feliciano is good enough. 

Upgrade at least one of these players. 

It's going to be very interesting to see what they do with Feliciano.  Evvybody loves him.  He's apparently buds with the QB and has a bromance going with half the OL.  I love me some Mongo too.

Technically, I'm wondering.  Several of his shotgun snaps in SEA and AZ were "good thing our QB is 6'5" with great reflexes" scary.  He got beat consistently in the AFC Championship game to the point that Marlon Humphrey tweeted "Y’all not ever trying to block for JA17".  There are a number of "run play fail" clips in Cover1's "Glaring Run Game Issues" video where Feliciano was the guy who whiffed (obviously, film clips not necessarily representative, and he was hardly the only problem).

To be fair, Mongo was coming back from injury and maybe "playing himself back into shape" this season so it doesn't reflect his best, and he said as much in one press conference "I'm not blocking well, I have to do better" IIRC after the Chargers game I think.

What he has brought to the Bills is good RG play who can step in almost seamlessly at C or LG - versatility, something Beane consistently praises about him.  WE got great value from him at $4M/year.  But if we slot him in as the starting C, we immediately lose that - you don't move your starting C to fill in at LG or RG.

Spotrac has hm getting paid like a starter: 4 year, $33M, $8.4M/yr.  I'm not sure he'll be resigned for that.  I see Beane re-signing Ike Boettger, trying to keep Williams at RT, and looking for an upgrade at C/G in the draft.  So the guard competition would be Ford, Boettger, and rookie with Ryan Bates as the backup C.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think the question for Beane is what to do at center. I think Feliciano is a real possibility depending how the offseason goes. They can also draft a center, I actually like that idea. We could draft the best center in the draft. Release Morse and give Feliciano a contract with the savings.

Savings from releasing Morse this year $4.8M

Feliciano current contract $4.4M last year

Feliciano was signed for that as a quality backup/competition for a starting spot.  Now he's made his case he's a starter.  I don't think he re-ups for $4.8M

Then there's the question of Daryl Williams, or who is the answer at RT?

• Agree 1

Last night we saw what many commentators call "Sugar Rush Pat" where he just panics out there. 

This is Big Ben vs Peyton Manning all over again. 

Here's the biggest difference that I see: Mahomes plays a fancy game and things have mostly been easy for him. Take that away and get into a dogfight and it's panic time. Why aren't guys wide open by 10 yards?!

Allen plays a grittier game and has had to scratch, fight and claw early in his career. This year, he gets some help and look at the difference. 

When things get ugly with a fancy passer (Peyton Manning, Pat Mahomes) you have no chance. With a guy like Allen you still might lose, but he can play ugly. 

Even Tom Brady failed in NE (twice) when his team was all about offense and fireworks and became 1 dimensional. When NE went back to a balanced attack they won again. TB was the same way. 

With Mahomes contract kicking in they are going to lose some guys in KC. Same thing happened to another "next dynasty" in Seattle. they failed to go back to back SB wins and never really recovered. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's going to be very interesting to see what they do with Feliciano.  Evvybody loves him.  He's apparently buds with the QB and has a bromance going with half the OL.  I love me some Mongo too.

Technically, I'm wondering.  Several of his shotgun snaps in SEA and AZ were "good thing our QB is 6'5" with great reflexes" scary.  He got beat consistently in the AFC Championship game to the point that Marlon Humphrey tweeted "Y’all not ever trying to block for JA17".  There are a number of "run play fail" clips in Cover1's "Glaring Run Game Issues" video where Feliciano was the guy who whiffed (obviously, film clips not necessarily representative, and he was hardly the only problem).

To be fair, Mongo was coming back from injury and maybe "playing himself back into shape" this season so it doesn't reflect his best, and he said as much in one press conference "I'm not blocking well, I have to do better" IIRC after the Chargers game I think.

What he has brought to the Bills is good RG play who can step in almost seamlessly at C or LG - versatility, something Beane consistently praises about him.  WE got great value from him at $4M/year.  But if we slot him in as the starting C, we immediately lose that - you don't move your starting C to fill in at LG or RG.

Spotrac has hm getting paid like a starter: 4 year, $33M, $8.4M/yr.  I'm not sure he'll be resigned for that.  I see Beane re-signing Ike Boettger, trying to keep Williams at RT, and looking for an upgrade at C/G in the draft.  So the guard competition would be Ford, Boettger, and rookie with Ryan Bates as the backup C.

I'd let Feliciano walk.  

Re-sign Williams to go with Dawkins at LT and keep Morse at C.   Then do exactly as you said, draft a C/G in the 2nd or 3rd Round to play the G spot opposite Ford. 

I still think a healthy Ford can be a really good player.  His tape from college was fantastic.  

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd let Feliciano walk.  

Re-sign Williams to go with Dawkins at LT and keep Morse at C.   Then do exactly as you said, draft a C/G in the 2nd or 3rd Round to play the G spot opposite Ford. 

I still think a healthy Ford can be a really good player.  His tape from college was fantastic.  

That's kind of where I see Beane going, but it really depends upon what kind of running game Daboll wants to run.  2019, we were successful with pin-and-pull blocking that Morse is quite good at.

Then there's the question what do they think of Morse physically with the concussion history?

I think a healthy Ford can be a really good player, but it begs the question why has he been injured so much?  Is it just freak stuff?  Or is he being injured because he's not really in the right position with the right technique but instead trying with all that's in him to make the play, leading to injury?

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Good guards can be found in the late rounds of the drafts...look at Teller as a 5th round pick.  Pats routinely find these guys and plug them in as well and they do great, sometimes even as UDFA's.  Lots of teams do.  Most guards that are very good players were not drafted in the top 2 rounds.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Good guards can be found in the late rounds of the drafts...look at Teller as a 5th round pick.  Pats routinely find these guys and plug them in as well and they do great, sometimes even as UDFA's.  Lots of teams do.  Most guards that are very good players were not drafted in the top 2 rounds.

Good point.. More of where I'm going is taking the best Center and maybe use them at G for a year or so and then take over for Morse down the line.  

I think that Josh Allen can be the best QB in the league if he continues to work on areas where he's shown development, but needs more:

1) taking the open throw underneath instead of pressing to push the ball downfield.  he's gotten better since the Tenn. game, but it's still a flaw.

2) reading and reacting to disguised coverages

3) solidifying his mechanics - under pressure especially in big games, he can still miss a handful of throws that could turn the tide of the game.

I think having a run game will help the Bills be the best team in the league

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Great players have the ability to elevate the play of others.  For whatever reason, Mahomes didn't do that last night even though he benefits from being surrounded by highly skilled athletes at every skill position on the field.  With the exception of Diggs, Allen does not.  Josh just seemed to will his way to wins at times during the season.  And his leadership attributes are clear.  The team rallies around him and feeds off his energy.  The team has assumed his identity. 

While the QB is the de facto leader of the team I don't see Mahomes as having the same leadership qualities.  That's not to diminish his style, leadership, or play which is outstanding.  But if I had to choose one going into 2021 I'd pick Allen.     

Beasley is one on the best slots in the game. Gotta count him too. 

Allen is gonna go to work this off season. His idle just won another ring.

For all the hate I have for Brady, I think maybe he deserves a modicum of credit for Allen's work habits and thought process. He has studied Brady for years and knows what he needs to do to accomplish greatness. 

This, above all else will be why Allen is successful. 

Grab a speedy RB in the draft and maybe an o lineman also. 

He doesn't need to be the best QB in the league. That would be great, for sure, but if he can maintain top 5, that's good enough to win some Superbowls.

Aaron Rodgers has been one of the best, if not THE best, QB's in the league for much of his career. He almost never makes it to the Superbowl.

I was thinking last night after the game.  The Bills put up 24 points against the Chiefs...with their DBs holding all game and the refs letting KC get away with personal fouls, etc...unlike last night's Super Bowl.  They also put up 24 points with no running game and playing  one dimensionally.  Allen was pressured most of the game as Mahomes was last night.  Yet the Bills offense put up 24 points.  

The huge difference, of course, was on the opposite side of the ball.  Our defense got zero pressure on Mahomes and the game plan was to "limit" big plays versus playing aggressive and physical.  

Lots for Josh to learn in the off season, as well as our coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1