Jump to content

Carson Wentz on the move?


whatdrought
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

If he gets them to the Super Bowl it's not too much. Even if it's three or four years from now, it's worth it, IMO.

 

Not that I would want to pay that much if I'm the Colts. But if they genuinely believe in Wentz, it could be a great deal for them.

 

You've got to have a QB. Really tough decision. Not laughable at all, IMO. I could go either way on that, depending how much I believed in Wentz.

 


 

My perspective (which is likely wrong) is that I’m way more confident in the Colts paying for Wentz than I am the Bears. Two reasons:

 

1- The bears have a QB’s whose up and down career isn’t all that unlike Wentz’.... his highs haven’t been as high, yet his lows aren’t even as low as Wentz was last year. Plus, they’re similar players. It feels like falling for the first blonde that comes your way after getting dumped by a blonde. Maybe try a redhead and see what happens?

 

2- meanwhile, while i’d still be somewhat worried about the Colts dumping serious capital for Wentz, i can give Reich the benefit of the doubt as he has a better view of the situation than anyone else. That being said - 2 first round picks for a QB with that much bad tape is hard to swallow, even if he has other good tape as well. Plus, there’s the massive injury concerns. 4 years as starter, finished 1 either due to injury or benching. Just hard to shake the “this could go horribly” feeling. 
 

and I’ve always liked Wentz. The QB market is just bonkers, tbh.

Edited by whatdrought
Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

Also, if the chiefs are on the cusp of winning tomorrow, the Eagles should announce the trade right at the end of the game. Snag some thunder from Andy. just to be philly level petty. 
 

 

 

Here’s my big question with regards to this: if the eagles flip Wentz, are they in the market at 6 for a QB? (If so, losing that last game looks a whole heck of a lot better now) and if they are - why keep Hurts? What trade value does he have?

 

If they aren’t, are you happy riding with Hurts?... 

 

it’s an iffy situation.

Edited by whatdrought
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know the common trend is to bash Wentz and talk about how bad he was/is but id feel much better if he went with the bears.  Wentz was an MVP candidate under Reich, and IMO the colts have a better roster than Philadelphia did that year.  They would be scary.  

Edited by TonyBeets
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:


 

Also, if the chiefs are on the cusp of winning tomorrow, the Eagles should announce the trade right at the end of the game. Snag some thunder from Andy. just to be philly level petty. 
 

 

 

Here’s my big question with regards to this: if the eagles flip Wentz, are they in the market at 6 for a QB? (If so, losing that last game looks a whole heck of a lot better now) and if they are - why keep Hurts? What trade value does he have?

 

If they aren’t, are you happy riding with Hurts?... 

 

it’s an iffy situation.

 

The situation is crazy because Wentz is largely a guy with franchise type upside who's been pretty excellent for three out of the four years he was starting in Philadelphia, but we're seeing more and more signs at the organization is actually quite a mess. The offensive line is bad, the skill position players are bad, and it became obvious that the type of offensive play calling that Doug Peterson is comfortable with was very limited.

 

Carson had a down year, but it is very much a statistical anomaly by any measure and Philadelphia's roster decline is a very big contributor to that. He got sacked on 10% of his dropbacks. That isn't just holding on to the ball too long, even if his career rating that category is a little high.

 

We've seen plenty of franchise quarterbacks have those. Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are the best two examples of quarterbacks having down here sometimes, but smart organizations are stable and stick it out because player progression is not 100% linear all the time. 

 

I thinks it's likely that Philadelphia likes hurts that much, but from what I've seen just eye testing it he struggled in drop back to pass situations as much as Wentz did because of poor protection, bad receivers and learning reads.

 

From a trade perspective, Chicago and Indianapolis are the two teams that obviously make sense. The argument I make for Chicago is that if I'm the GM there and I'm on the hot seat, getting something in between 2018 and 2019 Wentz which is where I would project, can make the team competitive and prevent me from getting fired. if it doesn't work I'm fired anyway so they aren't my draft picks. Chicago has a really good defense and the Packers look a little vulnerable if you get some quarterback play. Indianapolis and Chicago are both very good candidates for teams that should look at something like moving for Wentz or garoppolo or carr if they become seriously available because they need quarterback upgrades and have a lot of other stuff in place already.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's amazing, if true, that the Bears would consider dumping Trubisky and pay 2 1sts for....Carson Wentz!! 

 

I recall previous threads claiming regular fans like us could never aspire to the level of football smarts that NFL GMs possess.........


 

like the stock market....

 

he ends up going to New England

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After two first and a third for Stafford, and talks of a first for Darnold and two firsts for Wentz, getting a high third for Tyrod isn't looking like quite the score we thought it was at the time...

 

Boy teams are desperate for QBs this offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:


 

My perspective (which is likely wrong) is that I’m way more confident in the Colts paying for Wentz than I am the Bears. Two reasons:

 

1- The bears have a QB’s whose up and down career isn’t all that unlike Wentz’.... his highs haven’t been as high, yet his lows aren’t even as low as Wentz was last year. Plus, they’re similar players. It feels like falling for the first blonde that comes your way after getting dumped by a blonde. Maybe try a redhead and see what happens?

 

2- meanwhile, while i’d still be somewhat worried about the Colts dumping serious capital for Wentz, i can give Reich the benefit of the doubt as he has a better view of the situation than anyone else. That being said - 2 first round picks for a QB with that much bad tape is hard to swallow, even if he has other good tape as well. Plus, there’s the massive injury concerns. 4 years as starter, finished 1 either due to injury or benching. Just hard to shake the “this could go horribly” feeling. 
 

and I’ve always liked Wentz. The QB market is just bonkers, tbh.

Indy seems like the better fit. But One thing that makes me think Chicago may be willing to give up more in a trade - their GM is desperate. Chris Ballard isn’t. 
Ryan Pace knows his job is hanging by a thread. Ballard isn’t facing the same type of pressure.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Indy seems like the better fit. But One thing that makes me think Chicago may be willing to give up more in a trade - their GM is desperate. Chris Ballard isn’t. 
Ryan Pace knows his job is hanging by a thread. Ballard isn’t facing the same type of pressure.

Excellent point.  Look at what McCagnan did to get Darnold.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Indy seems like the better fit. But One thing that makes me think Chicago may be willing to give up more in a trade - their GM is desperate. Chris Ballard isn’t. 
Ryan Pace knows his job is hanging by a thread. Ballard isn’t facing the same type of pressure.

 

Chicago's cap is at $190 mil and Wentz would cost them $25 mil for 2021. Lot of cap to cut assuming the cap will be somewhere around 185-190 for 2021. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:


 

Also, if the chiefs are on the cusp of winning tomorrow, the Eagles should announce the trade right at the end of the game. Snag some thunder from Andy. just to be philly level petty. 
 

 

 

Here’s my big question with regards to this: if the eagles flip Wentz, are they in the market at 6 for a QB? (If so, losing that last game looks a whole heck of a lot better now) and if they are - why keep Hurts? What trade value does he have?

 

If they aren’t, are you happy riding with Hurts?... 

 

it’s an iffy situation.


It will be interesting to see what they get in return for Wentz.  Could they include Ertz to boost the price and take back another TE?
 

If they can get back 1st rounders does that give Philly a chance to go after Watson?

 

Could 6 this year, 2 Indy picks, another high pick next year and Hurts get Houston enough to move Watson to the NFC?

 

I just love these kinds of things.  The NYJ and Miami still seem better with a definite shot at the #2 QB, but Philly’s pick might not be bad especially if you want to move him out of the AFC.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

 

Chicago's cap is at $190 mil and Wentz would cost them $25 mil for 2021. Lot of cap to cut assuming the cap will be somewhere around 185-190 for 2021. 

True but if they cut/trade Fuller, Hicks, and Graham that saves them $30 mil right off the bat.  They can also get creative with extending or renegotiating contracts.  They'll be able to afford Wentz but it likely comes at the cost of not being able to resign Robinson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

 

Chicago's cap is at $190 mil and Wentz would cost them $25 mil for 2021. Lot of cap to cut assuming the cap will be somewhere around 185-190 for 2021. 


 

Depends upon when the trade becomes official.  The additional picks might push the “official” trade date back until later March - so the 16 million in bonuses is eaten by the Eagles- making his contract this year 15 million.

 

Still a lot, but something you can work with.  It sucks for Philly, but if it gets them the picks they need - they eat a year and move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Colts are obvious as are bears. I imagine if it’s bears foles would go back to philly. I doubt this would be more than a single first rounder 

No way the Eagles would give up a first just to get rid of Wentz.  Most I could see is a second...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was a legitimately good qb in 2019. He has the tools, but something happened mentally to him this past season. He’s fixable and a potential franchise qb. Do you have a link to support the claim that his teammates “hated him”?

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2816841-report-carson-wentz-described-as-selfish-qb-fails-to-take-accountability.amp.html 

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Where do you get this?

 

It's not a surprise that his teammates might want Foles to start, he's by all accounts a Ryan-Fitzpatrick type ultra likeable guy and he won them the Superbowl 1 year and took them into the 2nd round the next year.

 

Doesn't mean his teammates hate Wentz

 

 

 

 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2816841-report-carson-wentz-described-as-selfish-qb-fails-to-take-accountability.amp.html

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was a legitimately good qb in 2019. He has the tools, but something happened mentally to him this past season. He’s fixable and a potential franchise qb. Do you have a link to support the claim that his teammates “hated him”?

I don’t think he’s fixable, he lost all his confidence this year and everyone was pointing that out. He’s regressed since he got hurt and hasn’t been the same. Philly should’ve traded him sooner and kept Foles. That’s what Pederson wanted but they’re GM wanted Wentz and that’s why Pederson was having problems with the front office. Although I don’t think he gets traded because of his contract. As of right now Philly contractual wise is stuck with him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...