Carson Wentz on the move?

whatdrought

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Colts would be a good move.  I like Wentz and think Frank could help him

It sounds like just speculation as to destinations, unless they had sources.  Common sense would say the Colts or Bears, but that doesn’t mean there is any merit to to the speculation.  The Colts makes sense to me given Reich and Wentz’s history, and the need for a QB, But I could see the Bears as a disaster.  In the past, he would try and play hero ball which would get him injured, where’re the Colts are a very balanced team with weapons and a good O Line.

For competition reasons, I would prefer he go to the Bears, or any NFC team. But it seems like Indy would a great landing spot for him. They would have the pieces around him, especially a competent o-line, something he does not have in Philadelphia.

And then, Watson would be free to go to Philadelphia, out of the Bills way and into a division where a player like him could make an immediate impact, they would probably be picked to win the division.

Edited by CSBill

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s not a franchise QB at all. He lost all his confidence, his teammates hated him and wanted Foles over him and even Pederson knew that Wentz wasn’t the answer. He’s a middle tier bridge QB

Where do you get this?

It's not a surprise that his teammates might want Foles to start, he's by all accounts a Ryan-Fitzpatrick type ultra likeable guy and he won them the Superbowl 1 year and took them into the 2nd round the next year.

Doesn't mean his teammates hate Wentz

If you go back to the 2016 Draft Class you’ll find the following QBs. I recall that year being considered rather stellar when the first two came off the board with first two selections:

Round 1

Jared Goff

Carson Wentz

Paxton Lynch

Round 2

Christian Hackenberg 

Round 3

Jacoby Brissette 

Cody Kessler

Round 4

Connor Cook

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s not a franchise QB at all. He lost all his confidence, his teammates hated him and wanted Foles over him and even Pederson knew that Wentz wasn’t the answer. He’s a middle tier bridge QB

He was a legitimately good qb in 2019. He has the tools, but something happened mentally to him this past season. He’s fixable and a potential franchise qb. Do you have a link to support the claim that his teammates “hated him”?

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was a legitimately good qb in 2019. He has the tools, but something happened mentally to him this past season. He’s fixable and a potential franchise qb. Do you have a link to support the claim that his teammates “hated him”?

His o-line was pretty bad in 2020 due to injuries. 50 sacks in 16 games. 

Put him behind the Colts line and it will be a different story. Wentz has the tools. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you go back to the 2016 Draft Class you’ll find the following QBs. I recall that year being considered rather stellar when the first two came off the board with first two selections:

Round 1

Jared Goff

Carson Wentz

Paxton Lynch

Round 2

Christian Hackenberg 

Round 3

Jacoby Brissette 

Cody Kessler

Round 4

Connor Cook

Wow  .  That was quite the draft.   I see two Buffalo Barbarian approved QBs in there as well

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where do you get this?

It's not a surprise that his teammates might want Foles to start, he's by all accounts a Ryan-Fitzpatrick type ultra likeable guy and he won them the Superbowl 1 year and took them into the 2nd round the next year.

You mean Cody Parkey double doinked the Eagles to the 2nd round?   Lol

1 minute ago, prissythecat said:

Wow  .  That was quite the draft.   I see two Buffalo Barbarian approved QBs in there as well

Yep. Those guys ‘should’ all be coming into their prime right now. For the record, at the end of Round 4 you see Dak Prescott and Cardale Jones (to the Bills). 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where do you get this?

I’ve read it too. There was a whole controversy surrounding the article+wentz a couple years ago (2019).

Here’s the article:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-exclusive-sources-paint-eagles-quarterback-as-selfish-not-team-player/

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ve read it too. There was a whole controversy surrounding the article+wentz a couple years ago (2019).

Here’s the article:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-exclusive-sources-paint-eagles-quarterback-as-selfish-not-team-player/

that would be the same ne-first attitude of most players

what's the big deal?

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

Colts would be a good move.  I like Wentz and think Frank could help him

Well Frank should know whether he can be "fixed", what needs to be fixed, how long it will take to be fixed and whether Wentz is willing to work to be fixed including working on it during off season.

18 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It makes sense in that regard... two first round picks plus is way too much no matter where he goes. That price by the Bears is laughable. 

If he gets them to the Super Bowl it's not too much. Even if it's three or four years from now, it's worth it, IMO.

Not that I would want to pay that much if I'm the Colts. But if they genuinely believe in Wentz, it could be a great deal for them.

You've got to have a QB. Really tough decision. Not laughable at all, IMO. I could go either way on that, depending how much I believed in Wentz.

4 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

His o-line was pretty bad in 2020 due to injuries. 50 sacks in 16 games. 

Put him behind the Colts line and it will be a different story. Wentz has the tools. 

That's what it looks like to me too. They'd better be damn sure if they have to give up two firsts and a player, though.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Here’s the article:

Interesting article. There's nothing about hate or anything close in it. 

And it does sound to me like he missed Reich, among others, as Reich could control him better. 

Does help explain his regression, though. And it sounds like there are a lot of nuances to the situation. It's neither that his teammates hated him nor that his coach knew he wasn't the answer, as one poster above put it.

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Interesting article. There's nothing about hate or anything close in it. 

And it does sound to me like he missed Reich, among others, as Reich could control him better. 

Does help explain his regression, though. And it sounds like there are a lot of nuances to the situation. It's neither that his teammates hated him nor that his coach knew he wasn't the answer, as one poster above put it.

Yeah there was a lot of controversy surrounding that article. A bunch of his teammates stood up for him after it came out. So who knows how much of it was even true. 

Wentz has a huge contract that someone will need to eat (either the Eagles or a new team) so I doubt that the Eagles will find any takes at 2 first rounders, especially with Wentz's poor play this year (much of which I attribute to his OL) as well as his injury history.

It may be that the Eagles can't get out from under W's contract even if they trade him.  I have seen reports that his dead cap hit would be something like $33 million.

It has to be the colts. Make a ton of sense. 

That team is ready to win the Superbowl. They just need a QB. Not saying Wentz is the guy but Houston ain't trading Watson to them so it's not like they have much better options. 

I am sure they were in on Stafford, if I were them I would have done whatever it took to get him. They have a really good roster and a ton of cap space to add the final pieces. They are definitely in a position where they could comfortably give up a couple firsts for a good QB, and make a run. 

Edited by Process

4 minutes ago, Process said:

It has to be the colts. Make a ton of sense. 

That team is ready to win the Superbowl. They just need a QB. Not saying Wentz is the guy but Houston ain't trading Watson to them so it's not like they have much better options. 

I am sure they were in on Stafford, if I were them I would have done whatever it took to get him. They have a really good roster and a ton of cap space to add the final pieces. They are definitely in a position where they could comfortably give up a couple firsts for a good QB, and make a run. 

Agreed - Colts have a ton more cap space than the Bears and a better OL for sure.